• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When carrying concealed, would you rather have 9 rounds of .45 ACP (example: 1911 with 8+1), or a similar size gun with 12 or 13 rounds of .40 cal. or even one with 15 rounds or so of 9 mm? Not a binding questions, just a query about where folks stop at smaller calibers, etc. Checking on what the preferences are around here.

Edit to add: I think someone (KelTec?) makes a semi-auto .22 magnum pistol that has a 30 rd. magazine?? Not sure I would carry that as a self-defense weapon, even with 30 rds.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I personally prefer the .45 ACP but, like you say, 13 +1 rds. of .40 cal. would also work very well. I've owned 9mm pistols but currently don't have one. I've got a commander length Springfield 1911 that holds 14 in the mag. which is wonderful..................but heavy.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    People put WAY too much emphasis on capacity. The important thing is that you have a gun that you can handle and that it is extremely reliable. Obviously, the bigger calibers (.45 or .40) are harder hitting than a 9 mm and that does make them more attractive. I've seen some LEOs around here carrying .45's with extended magazines. (10 rounds?) It just confuses me. It's pretty rare they would need to shoot against 10 bad guys at the same time, and if you can't hit a target in 8 rounds, then 2 more aren't going to help. And, it IS a magazine, you can remove it and put in a new one pretty quickly.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I prefer to carry my Glock 19 with its 15+1, but I wouldn't feel undergunned with a baby Glock 26 (10 rounds). When I can't wear the above (lets face it, you can't wari it in South Texas every day) my kel tec goes IWB and gets forgotten. I've got the +1 extender, so 7+1. Far from ideal, but not everyone can carry around a full sized gun. Personally, I think I'll stay away from things like .22lr and .22 mag, but it satisfies the first rule in carrying a gun (have a gun). Frankly your better with a .32 auto Beretta bobcat (my mom's gun) than with your fists. We all make choices around what we can do and what we want to do.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Thanks for the input. My every day carry is usually a Colt Defender in .45 with 8 rounds available. I really like it as it is thin, light, and it works every time I pull the trigger (and it's got laser grips), but I recently purchased a Glock 23 that I also really like. It's my first .40 caliber and I'm liking it a lot. As soon as I get my holster for it and I've got another 300 rounds through it, I plan on carrying it some.

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    Not to come off as some type of expert (cause I'm not) but I've seen statistics that show that most people (80-90% regardless of caliber, victims in the survey were shot with multiple calibers) that are shot with 1 bullet, Live, yet at the same time most people shot with multiple bullets (again 80-90-% regardless of caliber) will die from those wounds. So if the purpose of shooting someone to defend yourself is to kill the attacker & not simply hope to stop them with 1 bullet, the statistics show u should carry as many rounds as possible as opposed to fewer rounds of a larger size. These stats come from a survey done at hospitals on gun shot victims. Like I said I'm no expert, and I've generally been a believer in the .45 ACP, but after seeing this study it made me not feel as bad about carrying a 9mm w/ twice the capacity of my 1911.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    In a life or death situation, a decent shooter has a 15% accuracy rating due to stress and the other elements of the situation. No, I don't have the link to where I read that information, but I did read it in a context that made me think it was legit. With that kind of percentage, it makes sense that capacity is king. I know that someone will chime in about shot placement, but in reality, unless you have practiced under fire, or done something else to have your heart and head pounding while you are about to take a shot, you don't know how accurate you are going to be. Add in a spouce or your child that is in danger, and you may not be focused enough to make that perfect one shot stop.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    In a life or death situation, a decent shooter has a 15% accuracy rating due to stress and the other elements of the situation. No, I don't have the link to where I read that information, but I did read it in a context that made me think it was legit. With that kind of percentage, it makes sense that capacity is king. I know that someone will chime in about shot placement, but in reality, unless you have practiced under fire, or done something else to have your heart and head pounding while you are about to take a shot, you don't know how accurate you are going to be. Add in a spouce or your child that is in danger, and you may not be focused enough to make that perfect one shot stop.

That's why you work on mechanics to a degree of near perfection. Shooting "good enough" at the range is never "good enough" for me personally. Mindset is key ... if you make yourself focus on the steps to a good shot at the range, you will perform them under stress. I would say 15% is relative and perhaps statistically significant, but it'd help to know where that stat is from, and what it's referencing.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    When it comes to inflicting the most damage, penetration and hole diameter are the key. The larger the caliber the more damage inflicted. Multiple shots are welcome because of the likelihood of a miss. Normally I carry a .45 with 12+1 and an extra mag.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Best of both worlds. If you're stuck on .45 I'd go with a Glock 30 instead of a 1911. It would be easier to conceal (it's a subcompact) and it holds more rounds than the 1911 does (10+1). It's kinda hard to avoid printing with a 1911 unless you're wearing a pretty hefty coat which would look very... "unseasonable" right now. Personally I like the Glock 19 but I'll probably pick up a Glock 32 when I get home so I have the extra stopping power of 357 SIG ballistics with the frame that I find so appealing.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Proficency determines the caliber you can carry. I am the opposite of lots of y'all on here. I believe that the less proficient shooters, and the ones that don't practice regularly should carry the largest caliber possible. I believe with profiency comes the reward of being able to use a higher capacity firearm at the expense of a less powerful round. I have 9mms right now. I used to have a 45. Now that I shoot tons more the 9 is cheaper and for someone like me that will place the bullet where needed the 9 offers more than double the firepower. Shooters may vary. My girlfriend almost never shoots with me. I am going to get her a 45 because if she misses the vitals on a bg she will still inflict far more harm than a 9. For her the 45 offers more firepower. If I quit shooting 2 times a week I would likely go to a 40.

That's my theory!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Best of both worlds. If you're stuck on .45 I'd go with a Glock 30 instead of a 1911. It would be easier to conceal (it's a subcompact) and it holds more rounds than the 1911 does (10+1). It's kinda hard to avoid printing with a 1911 unless you're wearing a pretty hefty coat which would look very... "unseasonable" right now. Personally I like the Glock 19 but I'll probably pick up a Glock 32 when I get home so I have the extra stopping power of 357 SIG ballistics with the frame that I find so appealing.

I have a double stack 5" 1911 that holds 13+1 rounds chambered in 45acp. It fits in my pocket with no problem and my shirt covers the rest of the handle. I dont run around with it on me all the time except when im at my shop at night or places where I think the SHTF is about to happen.
    Its not uncomfortable but im pretty big too. A 45 with 14 rounds in it gets pretty heavy, so some people might not like em.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Porficency determines the caliber you can carry. I am the opposite of lots of y'all on here. I believe that the less proficient shooters, and the ones that don't practice regularly should carry the largest caliber possible. I believe with profiency comes the reward of being able to use a higher capacity firearm at the expense of a less powerful round. I have 9mms right now. I used to have a 45. Now that I shoot tons more the 9 is cheaper and for someone like me that will place the bullet where needed the 9 offers more than double the firepower. Shooters may vary. My girlfriend almost never shoots with me. I am going to get her a 45 because if she misses the vitals on a bg she will still inflict far more harm than a 9. For her the 45 offers more firepower. If I quit shooting 2 times a week I would likely go to a 40.

That's my theory!

You absolutly right except one part. Less than par shooters should have a sign warning people that they have a gun so I can stay out of the way!!!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Porficency determines the caliber you can carry. I am the opposite of lots of y'all on here. I believe that the less proficient shooters, and the ones that don't practice regularly should carry the largest caliber possible. I believe with profiency comes the reward of being able to use a higher capacity firearm at the expense of a less powerful round. I have 9mms right now. I used to have a 45. Now that I shoot tons more the 9 is cheaper and for someone like me that will place the bullet where needed the 9 offers more than double the firepower. Shooters may vary. My girlfriend almost never shoots with me. I am going to get her a 45 because if she misses the vitals on a bg she will still inflict far more harm than a 9. For her the 45 offers more firepower. If I quit shooting 2 times a week I would likely go to a 40.

.355 - .451 ... you're talking a whopping 0.096" difference in diameter. Giving her a .45 isn't going to improve anything. What will improve her ability is giving her something that she has confidence in using and can use without significantly flinching and without causing malfunctions. Putting a slightly bigger hole in someone's gut isn't going to put them down.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    You absolutly right except one part. Less than par shooters should have a sign warning people that they have a gun so I can stay out of the way!!!

.355 - .451 ... you're talking a whopping 0.096" difference in diameter. Giving her a .45 isn't going to improve anything. What will improve her ability is giving her something that she has confidence in using and can use without significantly flinching and without causing malfunctions. Putting a slightly bigger hole in someone's gut isn't going to put them down.

Not everyone can get out to the range as often as some of us. She doesnt carry a purse and doesnt like the idea of a holster, It will go in her vehicle. She is better than most people I see at the range. Also she is not afraid of guns so she will be completely comfortable with anything I get her.

I on the other hand can mow down 6" plates at 25 yards like im pushing them over. Its like second nature to me now. I dont even need to aim, I can point shoot 6 in a row with no misses in a very short amount of time. This ability to use the gun like an extension of the hand and point shoot it to wherever i am thinking is proficiency.

I used to work the gun counter at academy and I found it grotesque when guys would go in and buy a 22lr tomcat or walther for there significant other. Wow, take a disadvantaged woman and give her one of the weakest guns available. I want my girl to have some power.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I carry a Ruger LCP which is 6 rounds ATM. I hate it.

Can't wait for the Glock 26 and of course an extra mag. That's 20rds altogether.

Top Bottom