• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 512Ram

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Central Texas
    Ok, so thought i'd post this for you guys cuz i was shocked when i found out what was causing the issue!

This all happened to my 2003 Lincoln aviator and the story goes like this.

About a month ago I drove home from my girlfriends house, which isn't more than 5 miles away. I park in front of my house and i turned the key to turn the car off but the engine was still running! The key would go back 2 clicks, stereo would turn off, but engine still running! So i turned the key as if to turn it on, went to where its supposed to crank, engine still on, and stereo now on. Hmm.. so i turn the key the other way and engine still on . As i was getting out of the car (engine still on) i pressed the brake and engine turned off.

Weird, so i started it up, tried to turn it off, and same thing.. engine still running. Pressed brake; engine off. I sat there and scratched my head for a couple minutes and just walked off.

Now doors closed and i'm walking away and i press the lock button twice so i can get an audible feedback of the state of the car. 1 beep=everything is closed and locked 2 beeps=everything is locked but there's a door open. So what do i get? 2 beeps...

I walked back to the car and opened and closed every door, even the trunk and tailgate separately, hood and sunroof. Press the lock button and 2 beeps!!

The night before all this it did rain very hard so i'm thinking maybe a water short.. thats the only explanation i could think of.

Later that day i drive somewhere else and car turns off. Then drive to my girlfriends, car turns off fine. Then i go home from my girlfriends, and same thing. Now it just got creepy.. my car is possessed (It's done weirder things before.)

Well this goes on for a little over a month and today i had some free time to pop up the hood and investigate.

First thing that caught my eye was an unusually large amount of leaves in the engine bay above the front right tire. So start clearing all the leaves and this is what i find:

rat%20cut%20wires%201.jpg

rat%20cut%20wires%202.jpg

rat%20cut%20wires%203.jpg

rat%20cut%20wires%204.jpg

rat%20cut%20wires%205.jpg

now this is how i found the wires, i did not move them to be spread out like that.

My first thought was FORD! Because the dealership was the last to work on my car. They had changed my coil packs, so i though that they had removed the air filter box and just shoved it causing it to rip the wires.

But then, after further investigation i have found several 1 inch strips of wire in little crevices and the insulation on the wires was torn apart. Then thinking back to the day this all started, it was raining really hard.

I have come to the conclusion that a rat has gotten in there and done this..

Now i have to redo all these wires, probably gonna have to take out most of the harness ughh

Thanks for the headache mr rat!
    Venture Surplus ad

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Yeah rats and mice will work over electrical wiring on cars. Used to be a common problem on our ranch vehicles (along with nests in unwanted places like the air intake of a VW Beetle.)

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Yeah, they sharpen their teeth on wires. Was running some tests at a compressor station years ago and was having trouble with some instrument readings. Looked a the wires and they had been bitten every foot or so for the entire length. All those leaves would tend to indicate that something tried to build a nest. Probably because it was warm under the hood.

Knew a guy years ago that started his truck after work and heard a loud scream. Then his fan came apart and tore up his radiator. When he opened the hood, he found that a stray cat had crawled up on the engine to get warm. When he started the truck, the cat tried to get out, only to wind up in the fan. Big stinking mess and cost him a lot to fix. Insurance company wouldn't pay a nickel.

Top Bottom