• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85mackey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    houston
    I'm currently in the process of starting a new AR-15 build. It will be a 14.5 inch upper receiver. I wanted to get some opinions on which gas system to use. I understand that the M4 was designed around the carbine length gas system, but 14.5 middys seem to be growing in popularity. Any advice helps, thanks in advance.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    youre, right midlength is the popular choice these days. really its personal preference, do you want more handguard room? or less? do you care how much recoil it has or not?

85mackey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    houston
    The handguard length won't be an issue since I will not be adding any gadgets to this rifle and I have medium sized hands. Recoil isn't an issue as well although the mid length shoots a bit softer (not much though). I'm more concerned with the reliability with this barrel length. I do believe the dwell time is shorter when using a mid length configuration. I have a 16 inch middy already and it's great. I just figured since the military uses the carbine length, it would be the optimal system to use on a 14.5 in.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    as far as not adding gadgets to the handguard area, what i meant was you have more real estate to place your hands, for more stability. you also have more room to place your gun and you behind cover, if youre into shooting competitions or even just a what if i need to? honestly, there is no reliability issues with that gas system and 14.5. i went with a carbine 14.5 because i wanted to keep my personal guns the same as my work guns.

Top Bottom