• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In K-12 education, which was my previous "industry" you were locked into one job pretty well for the long haul. If teachers did switch jobs it was usually only once or twice and to get into a better district to ride it out until retirement. There was some room to move up into administration but not much and that path was rife with stress and far less secure than teaching.

Now im in an industry where it seems like people switch jobs every 2-3 years.

What have you done? What do you think is preferable and why?

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Ya gotta like what you do.
    I prefer specializing but a step across lines is invigorating.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    I have been at my job for 12 years now, and the previous one for 7. I have had offers to go elsewhere, but the company I am with truly cares about and takes care of their employees. Depends on a lot of factors, but in my situation it would take something huge to make me even consider it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Typically, a change in jobs comes with a bump in pay....

At least till you get to the point, that you like where you are enough that it would REALLY take a big bump to move.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    I would say be somewhere that you like and what makes you happy. Also look at what will be best for you and your family. If I was truly happy where I was I wouldn't jump jobs unless it was something better but I'd also have to like that job as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Jobs like being a trades worker at a university seem to offer the stability and benefits that keep people 30 years but youre not really going to advance your career, yourself or your income that much.

I suppose it matters what type of person you are and what you want out of your work. Want a job or a career?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My unabridged resume is many (6-7) pages long as my average tenure on a job is 2-5 years. That may set some kind of record on quitting jobs because I moved around a lot and never had trouble getting jobs in my field. It's easy to hook up on jobs if you have training in many fields. Every time, the jobs went "poof", I got some additional training! It works!

Watch what they do when an employee gives notice that they are moving on or if they are laid off. If the company acts properly, I'll give notice when I leave. If they jack the employee around, cheat or disrespect them........I tell them to shove it and walk when I go.

The longest I've ever stayed was the teaching job in Texas. The first six years were wonderful and I loved every minute of it. Then the good bosses retired and my job turned to pure sxit. I should have bailed then....but I stayed. It was a HUGE error!

Today, I heard from a recent retiree teacher from the same school. They packed her classes with every criminal and behavior problem in the school. That's exactly what they did to me.I told them "I don't know where I'm going to work this year ....but it's not going to be HERE!" I was unemployed for 1 hour and 45 minutes, hooked up on the next job in the prison system and away I went!

Following that prison job, I returned to industry for 5 years and worked 2 jobs in that time.

In that entire period, I changed careers 6-7 times. That's how it is today. The only security you have is in your skill and ability.

I trained Instrumentation Techs at a local college. Those guys make $35/hour and are highly mobile. A friend told me that at his company, he came to work and the entire second shift "Drug up", walked out and went to a new job for better pay! It happens all the time!

Flash

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    The only security you have is in your skill and ability.

^
    This.

What you will regret, when you get old enough to realize that you statistically don't have all that much time left, is not having done what you really wanted to do. Forty one years of satisfying self-employment, with no need, or desire, to "retire".

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ^
    This.

What you will regret, when you get old enough to realize that you statistically don't have all that much time left, is not having done what you really wanted to do.

Thats what i was afraid of. I was a tenured teacher in Illinois. I felt so stuck and trapped. Bailed on that moved down here with no job and found a better job in a month. But now of course i miss the stability (but not IL, havent been back since i left). Before anyone thinks im one of those turning Texas blue, couldnt be farther from the truth. I actively campaign for and donate to Republicans and want to shake Ted Cruzs hand.

I like what im doing now. Just trying to figure out whats next.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo

Forum statistics