• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    How many of you have body armor setups? What are you running and how do you like it? Looking at getting something soon. It's been on my todo list for way too long.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I have some ESAPI (front. rear, sides) in an older Shellback tactical carrier over my 3a vest.

I may upgrade to a TYR rig at some point.The shoulder straps slip on my Shellback carrier so I've had to permanently set the length which isn't so bad, but still.... I *think* they may have fixed it on their new models.

Weight is your enemy. It's a trade off between weight, fatigue, mobility and protection. If your going to rock some armor, you need to be at least a little fit or you will be so worn out as to be a sitting duck. I love my ESAPI plates, but do I really need protection from 2 hits of AP? Nah, a set of SAPI or lvl4 plates would have been lighter and been plenty of protection, which would let me carry something else for the same weight or decrease the fatigue.

Spend as much as you can on good, light plates and backers if you won't already have soft armor on. There are a lot of great carriers out there and some decent cheap ones if your not working with it on a daily basis.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Looking to get a set of light weight SAPI plates for the front & back. Probably won't spring for side ones. 2 is hella expensive enough already.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, you can always add side plates later if you want them.

Btw, don't try to carry too much, esp on the front. I carry a couple of mags up front and that's it, everything else is on the sides.

When I go prone I want to be LOW!

Also, check out this thread it will answer a lot:

Body armor recommendations
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=16014&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I bought soft armor years ago for a job wore it about 10 times , never got it sweaty & it's been flat in the box. I'd sell it in a heart beat, but there are those who will say it's out of date. 2 carriers that are suppose to defeat tasing.

Wearing it takes some getting use to it. Sitting in the track got to riding up on me. In todays times it might not be a bad thing to own & wear if it fit!

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I bought soft armor years ago for a job wore it about 10 times , never got it sweaty & it's been flat in the box. I'd sell it in a heart beat, but there are those who will say it's out of date.
    What size and price are we talking about here?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    This can’t be good quality...can it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Disregarding all the extra Blackhawk shit, it’s a ballistic nylon plate carrier and some ar500 (type not brand) steel plates rated at NIJ level 3.

I prefer ceramic level IV plates, but the steel will do work for most civilian situations once.

My bigger beef is with the carrier. It’s got a drag handle; whoop-de-fucking-do. I really want a ripcord instead, because if the chiclet fails or is bypassed in favor of soft fleshy bits, I want to be able to have that fucker removed without a whole lot of extra motions and a ripcord does that really well. Sure, EMT scissors might cut through the ballistic nylon, but that either another piece of gear to carry or you’re waiting for them to show up.

I put this product in the category of Taurus handguns. If that’s all you can afford and you need something, then here’s the bottom of the barrel.

MaxFactor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2020
    Fort Worth
    I'd recommend spiritus systems as well. Just really hard to get your hands on them. Constantly out of stock and when it does get restocked it's gone within minutes.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I have an AR 500 carrier and plates that I bought a year or so back on sale. If SHTF I'll be glad to have it. Only complaint is the weight.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Personally I run a Tyr PICO with the lace adjustable cummerbund. Only front and back plates. 3 mags and trauma shears on kit. I have a belt system for my load out. Most guys I work with (security contractor for 12 years) wear crye jpc and belt system. Both brands hold up well, mine gets worn an average of 280 days/year since I ordered it in 2013. Not to take away from this site, but there are a crap ton of gear loadout pics on arfcom showing off all kinds of cool guy shit. No need to break the bank though for something that will see minimal use.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    With recent events, I've been considering getting a setup. Are you guys running side plates?
    I do, but they add a lot of weight and bulk with only moderate benefits.

I'd get yourself a helmet before side plates. You can get a IIIA cummerbund soft armor insert so you expand your coverage without significant weight or bulk. Most plates require a IIIA backer for their rating anyway.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    After a long awaited time period I finally got notice from FedEx that my IIIa+ body armor is on it's way. I ordered a tactical plate carrier, but after talking to Safe Life Defense, they said that due to current situations (COVID, unrest) much of their materials are back ordered. They are sending me a concealable plate carrier with the soft plates and will send the tactical carrier when completed at no extra cost. Thinking about ordering rifle plates, since they told me they are in stock.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    After a long awaited time period I finally got notice from FedEx that my IIIa+ body armor is on it's way. I ordered a tactical plate carrier, but after talking to Safe Life Defense, they said that due to current situations (COVID, unrest) much of their materials are back ordered. They are sending me a concealable plate carrier with the soft plates and will send the tactical carrier when completed at no extra cost. Thinking about ordering rifle plates, since they told me they are in stock.

Yeah, they all seem to be backed up if they're made in the US. My level 3+'s took 2.5 months to get to me.

Top Bottom