• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pampatreas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    I understood that a new bill was filed in Texas allowing firefighters (including volunteer) the same carry rights as law enforcement, but I am unable to find it anywhere. Any help out there?
    Military Camp

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I understood that a new bill was filed in Texas allowing firefighters (including volunteer) the same carry rights as law enforcement, but I am unable to find it anywhere. Any help out there?

"The same carry rights" will never happen. I imagine IF a bill was filed, it includes limited carry authroization.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    In my Dept. we're not even allowed to bring a firearm into the station other than Fire Marshals. We can leave them in our vehicles but the city accepts no responsibility of our personal vehicles nor their contents. On one hand I kind of like the idea of having the option to carry on duty but on the other there could some serious issues evolve from such.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In my Dept. we're not even allowed to bring a firearm into the station other than Fire Marshals. We can leave them in our vehicles but the city accepts no responsibility of our personal vehicles nor their contents. On one hand I kind of like the idea of having the option to carry on duty but on the other there could some serious issues evolve from such.

Legally you can carry on duty with a CHL. Having to disarm if entering a 30.06 or statutorily off limits place would be a pain. :o

n2pistols

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Hurst, Texas
    With all the clothing and equipment fire fighters carry in the line of duty I wonder where they would carry their weapon. However as first responders in this dangerous world maybe they should be armed.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    IDK, our city/Dept. SOP's, rules and regs clearly state that we are not allowed to carry a firearm on duty or even have a firearm inside a fire station. There are disciplinary actions that can/have been in place and enforced for failure to comply.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013

Why would a volunteer or regular FD need the same carry rights as a LEO?

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Why should a LEO have carry rights no one else has? Including Joe Shmoe law abiding citizen.

Probably something to do with being a commissioned peace officer. There is training; a requirement to act in some cases, a requirement to carry off duty in some places and the laws that currently exist. Get the laws changed if you want to be able to carry everywhere. I am personally for CHL's.

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Probably something to do with being a commissioned peace officer. There is training; a requirement to act in some cases, a requirement to carry off duty in some places and the laws that currently exist. Get the laws changed if you want to be able to carry everywhere. I am personally for CHL's.

Like those jokers in LAPD who shot up two old women in a pickup truck yesterday, for no reason other than that they were in a pickup truck like a suspect in some unknown area of the county? Yeah, they have more and better training... sure thing.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Why should a LEO have carry rights no one else has? Including Joe Shmoe law abiding citizen.

Because society calls on him to take on crimes and bad guys that you can simply avoid or run away from. There is an expectation from society that they place themselves in farms way. We require special training and responsibility from them.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Like those jokers in LAPD who shot up two old women in a pickup truck yesterday, for no reason other than that they were in a pickup truck like a suspect in some unknown area of the county? Yeah, they have more and better training... sure thing.

Really? You have facts or "media reports"? I have read and heard reports too.

Easy to judge after the fact and from the safety of your couch.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Because society calls on him to take on crimes and bad guys that you can simply avoid or run away from. There is an expectation from society that they place themselves in farms way. We require special training and responsibility from them.

The nature and expectations of a police officer and the duties they are required to perform shouldn't mean that normal citizens aren't allowed to carry a defensive arm in certain locations. No Joe Blow tax payer isnt required to operate like a police officer, he or she isnt required to place themselves in harms way. On the other hand police arent responsible for individual citizens safety.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Everyone should have the same carry rights, regardless of this. The life of Joe citizen is not less valuable than the life of someone who is employed as a Peace Officer.

Top Bottom