DK Firearms

Carry Wear marks...How soon do you expect them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    0-10 times
    10-20
    20-40
    40-and up?

I realize a carry weapon is going to get wear marks....But...when is too soon? Would you expect it within 10-20 carry's?
    A Crossbreed Leather/Kydex OTW holster, A Kimber 1911, carried LESS than 20 times, more like 10-15 times, would you expect scuff marks so soon? On the trigger guard and in front of the guard a few inches on the frame.
    Gun Zone Deals

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Its a tough question to answer since all finishes aren't created equal. And honestly, I have some kydex holsters that produce more wear on my guns than others. I think you are right to be alarmed, since that much wear this soon is definitely going to translate into some serious wear if you keep all factors the same. Since you've only carried it 15-20 times, maybe try another holster and see if you get the same amount of wear. If so, then you might want to consider re-finishing the gun if you're opposed to wear marks(some people love em).

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That's an object that got rubbed between the holster and gun, not really a wear mark from the holster itself.

My experience is as few as 10 - 20 reps in a kydex holster will define some kind of wear. All of my Glocks have holster wear.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    That's an object that got rubbed between the holster and gun, not really a wear mark from the holster itself.

My experience is as few as 10 - 20 reps in a kydex holster will define some kind of wear. All of my Glocks have holster wear.

Thats what the owner of Crossbreed was telling me, maybe thats the case. I just didn't see how something catching the front of the frame that hard, would still be there to also nail the guard. Oh well...

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    How about the rivet form your jeans rubbing on the exposed slide? Just a thought.
    Its not that, i wish... Than I would have an answer.

I am just trying to figure out if Kimbers finish is THAT fragile, or if the holster is abnormally tight in those two areas. But based on Mark, the Crossbreeds owner and Alan's answer, it doesn't sound like it's either. Just a aggravated curiosity I guess.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    kydex rubs far faster than others mine started to show
    after 10 draws so i went to leather
    i know a very very good holster maker
    pancake holster and belt 85.00 cause
    1911s need the best.D-cav has one from
    the same guy

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    kydex rubs far faster than others mine started to show
    after 10 draws so i went to leather
    i know a very very good holster maker
    pancake holster and belt 85.00 cause
    1911s need the best.D-cav has one from
    the same guy
    What a salesman lol he does make excellent stuff.

PocketGroove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    DFW
    My aluminum kimber frame in kimpro 2 was already wearing off the frame rails and anywhere metal touches metal from the moment i took it out of the box. lol.
    She only rides in leather.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    If you want to keep your gun looking brand new, leave it in the box and never touch it :)

Hard chrome or black nitride (like Ion Bond) seem to wear the best, although some of my blue guns just get touched up with a decent "warm" blue now and then. Glocks get transported behind the truck on a logging chain to and from the range; it gives 'em character ;)

Alex

RickP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    far East Plano
    How does carry wear effect your ability to protect yourself? If you want a safe queen, or a wall hanger, then buy one. If you want a gun for self-preservation, consider it a badge of honor to see some wear marks from your holster. Dare I say, if your carry gun doesn't have any wear/holster marks, you aren't practicing enough!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    How does carry wear effect your ability to protect yourself? If you want a safe queen, or a wall hanger, then buy one. If you want a gun for self-preservation, consider it a badge of honor to see some wear marks from your holster. Dare I say, if your carry gun doesn't have any wear/holster marks, you aren't practicing enough!

Well, to be fair, if you can minimize them or rust (byproduct of wear) then it warrants the thought.

Since my carry gun / comp guns are tenifered I'm not worried about rust. Wearing off the black finish is no big deal.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    My question was more. what constitutes a crappy finish??? I completely understand about carry wear, my deal was it just seemed "soon" not. "what the hell is this" for my 1911.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My question was more. what constitutes a crappy finish??? I completely understand about carry wear, my deal was it just seemed "soon" not. "what the hell is this" for my 1911.

Most finishes are crap on guns ... the finish has to be harder than the material it's kept in and exposed to in order for it to be effective against wear. Wear comes from abrasion on the high spots and contact points of the gun. Kydex itself cannot possibly wear steel or most finishes. It's the salt from sweat, quartz in the dirt, and other media that gets between the holster and gun. It's like your sliding the gun on sandpaper at that point since there is no give in kydex. Leather holsters have some give so they apply less force to the contact surfaces.

The key here is a hard finish like hard chrome, tenifer, or some other surface treatment like anodizing for aluminum.

Top Bottom