• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    HB-1815 passed in 2007 covers having a weapon in a vehicle...

A person commits an offense if the person [he] intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1)on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2)inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

Also, further down it covers the part about It cannot be in plain view, plus one cannot be involved in criminal activity, etc..

I believe this additional bill was brought about by the illegal confiscation of guns of drivers going through Houston.

What you posted above is correct, but was already posted at least twice in this thread. TXI covered it a few posts ago. This law however does not make your car an extensionof your home, which was I believe what was the statement that was being questioned.
    Regardless, 2007 was a good year as it ridded us of that horrible "traveling" clause in the law.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    HB-1815 passed in 2007 covers having a weapon in a vehicle...

A person commits an offense if the person [he] intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1)on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2)inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

Also, further down it covers the part about It cannot be in plain view, plus one cannot be involved in criminal activity, etc..

I believe this additional bill was brought about by the illegal confiscation of guns of drivers going through Houston.

That was the motorist protection act that I commented about already. And IF your car was an extension of your home, the restrictions on car carry could not be there.

Good Grief.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    Not trying to get into a pissing contest here but doesn't these two statements essentially say the same thing? That it's legal to have a legal gun in one's home or vehicle?

I pulled up the Texas CC Law and read through the whole bill. Then read this HB-1815, quite a bit shorter.

I said before that I just found this thread and was just quoting for the first time.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Not trying to get into a pissing contest here but doesn't these two statements essentially say the same thing? That it's legal to have a legal gun in one's home or vehicle?

I pulled up the Texas CC Law and read through the whole bill. Then read this HB-1815, quite a bit shorter.

I said before that I just found this thread and was just quoting for the first time.

You have LOTS more rights in your home than in your car...that bill simply let you carry in your car. a CCW instructor who said your car is now an extension of your home would be incorrect.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    I have known this CCW Instructor since the law first went into effect. He has the whole procedure set up in a back part of his home. Does it all, the fingerprinting, photo, all computerized too. In fact, he's now a city councilman. I would trust this guy with my life.

I KNOW that he knows the law.

Sounds to me like HB-1815 is a pretty good written bill. Covers everything I need to know.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have known this CCW Instructor since the law first went into effect. He has the whole procedure set up in a back part of his home. Does it all, the fingerprinting, photo, all computerized too. In fact, he's now a city councilman. I would trust this guy with my life.

Sounds to me like HB-1815 is a pretty good written bill. Covers everything I need to know.

If he is telling students that the Castle Doctrine OR the Motorist Protection Act makes your car an extension of your home he clearly and demonstratively does not know the law.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm hoping campus carry passes, I'd like the option and personally I don't leave my carry piece in my car so it stays at home on days I have class. At least until I run home for lunch and pick it up.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

Im glad he has impressed you, but you only need to read the law to see that what he told you is not correct. I dont understand how, when shown
    in the law, what it says, folks will still say, "My CCW Instructor said otherwise and I trust him".

Im sure he has an efficient method of instructing and fingerprinting. And I'm sure he is a great council person. But knowing the law is not a prerequisite for either of those jobs. (In fact I have seen councilmen that are unemployed high school dropouts, but they are still councilman.)
    If all you are worried about is defending yourself from felonious assault in your car, then you have nothing to be worried about, you are covered. All we were saying is that your car is not an extension of your home. As TXI indicated earlier, in your home you can openly carry, but not in your car.....that is but one quick and easy example.
    My only point is that I dont want to see my friends on here get involved in a clean shooting one day and say something incorrect like, "Well, I knew I could shoot cause my car is an extension of my house". You may be justified in the shoot, but it wont be because you are in your mobile "house"

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    . . . . If your car was an extension of your home, would you have to pay propery taxes on it?

I couldn't help myself. sorry.

dublin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    El Paso
    People are sheep and guns are evil. I was living in the Chicago area when the NIU shooting happened. Had to listen to idiots all over the news babbling about how nobody should be armed with idiots suggesting that even fewer people would be shot if the police weren't armed either. As if no bad guy could ever get a gun.

What really amazed me is that at the time my wife was attending another school in the area. They called a meeting regarding the campus EAP but she didn't realize it was for staff only. She was the only student there, the had a local police officer in attendance to discuss appropriate actions for a hostile intruder/active shooter scenario. The best idea these college professors had was to hide under desks.....there really is something wrong with our society.

rayj8524

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Wichita Falls

When I took my CHL class I got a handbook that had all the laws pertaining to CHL in it. Didn't everyone else?

Top Bottom