• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kenpo Don

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    T or C, NM
    This is my first post. I am getting confused from reading the different comments on the web about Texas. I live in New Mexico, don't have a ccl because I don't really need one. In this state I can legally carry a loaded handgun in my car, if I get stopped all I have to do is be sure to tell the officer that I have a loaded gun under my seat or where ever. I'm going to visit my folks in Rockwall, TX in April and want to have a loaded .357 in my car, is it OK to do this or am I going to have to be sneaky about it - I'd rather not do that though. Thanks for CORRECT information. Don

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Good question, and one many of us on here don't concern ourselves with as we are Texas Residents.

As far as I know (and for what that's worth), there is no stipulation in the Texas Motorist Protection Act (formerly known as HB1815) as to applicability to Texas residents only. As long as you are in a "privately-owned vehicle under your control," and "not engaged in criminal activity other than a Class C misdemeanor or other traffic regulation; was not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; was not a member of a criminal street gang; and was not carrying a handgun in plain view;" I would think it was allowable.

But that is just my interpretation, if you are really concerned (and I would be), I would contact DPS or a lawyer in this state that specializes in such laws.

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This tends to agree with my above comments...

RV/Car Carry Laws (Handgunlaw.us)

From the Texas DPS FAQ Page:

Q. Can I carry a handgun without a license when driving or traveling in a Motor Vehicle?

A. Effective September 1, 2007 a person who can legally possess a firearm may possess or carry a handgun in motor vehicle (including a recreational vehicle with living quarters) that is owned by or under the lawful control of the person. However, the firearm must be concealed, the person may not be engaged in criminal activity, and also may not be a member of a Criminal Street Gang. The person may also carry the firearm to and from his vehicle without a license. (See Texas Penal Code 46.02 (a)).

However, DPS recommends that you seek the advice of an attorney with any questions regarding the unlicensed carrying of firearms.
    Cheers! M2

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    You can conceal carry in your vehicle without a license, but make sure its concealed. You can tell the cops that you have a gun concealed in the vehicle, but you dont have to.
    No open carry in Texas either. You cant conceal carry an unloaded handgun here like you can in NM either. Unlawful carrying by a travler is exempted in the penal code. If you do keep it concealed so you dont get in trouble.

Top Bottom