• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4kayak2112

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Houston Area
    I read on the txdps website that if you dont have a CHL, you can still have a concealed loaded weapon in your vechile. Is this how it is now?

ok lets say
    i dont have a CHL, and i carry a loaded 1911 in my center console, and i get pulled over, will i see jail?

FYI: i am going to get my CHL, in fact i go Friday to do my class.
    Venture Surplus ad

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    from what i was told at the chl class i took as long as you tell them you are "traveling" you wont have a problem you don't have to explain where it is your traveling to just that you are traveling the burden of proof is on the state now since the law changed. good luck with getting your chl, here is a tip if you fill our application out online it shaves about a month off your wait time i did my class on 12/7 and my plastic arrived the following month.

4x4kayak2112

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Houston Area
    yea i filled out the application on-line and got my packet that included the finger print cards and the booklet. Is this what you are talking about?

If so i filled out my app online on a Sunday and packet was here on Friday

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    from what i was told at the chl class i took as long as you tell them you are "traveling" you wont have a problem you don't have to explain where it is your traveling to just that you are traveling the burden of proof is on the state now since the law changed. good luck with getting your chl, here is a tip if you fill our application out online it shaves about a month off your wait time i did my class on 12/7 and my plastic arrived the following month.
    That is incorrect. Traveling has nothing to do with it.

See my guide here;

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/blogs/txinvestigator/11-basic-texas-weapons-laws-part-1.html

Doing the online app saves ZERO time.

krull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    The Woodlands, TX
    When I took the CHL class, what we were told, it was the your home is your castle and your car is considered an extension of your home. So you can conceal in your car whether you travel or whatever, just as long as its concealed in your car.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    As of September 2007, the Castle Law made it legal for anybody who can legally own a handgun to keep a loaded handgun concealed in their car.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    When I took the CHL class, what we were told, it was the your home is your castle and your car is considered an extension of your home. So you can conceal in your car whether you travel or whatever, just as long as its concealed in your car.
    While the end result is correct, the law does NOT make your car an extension of your home. Again, READ MY GUIDE.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    As of September 2007, the Castle Law made it legal for anybody who can legally own a handgun to keep a loaded handgun concealed in their car.

That too, is incorrect. The "castle law" whatever that is, had nothing to do with where you can carry. Unlicensed car carry is restricted, and not just "anybody" can do so.

Read my guide.

SYMWAFA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, you can have a weapon loaded and concealed in your vehicle. However, it can't be concealed on your person. That's my understanding.

As far as whether or not applying online speeds things up...

It cuts out the possibility of your (maybe) bad handwriting- it rules out any errors in that regard.

You save some hand cramps not having to write all of your info on the forms

You get your PIN right of the bat.

I did it online. I got my chl in 25 days door to door!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes, you can have a weapon loaded and concealed in your vehicle. However, it can't be concealed on your person. That's my understanding.
    Again THAT IS WRONG. Read my guide.

As far as whether or not applying online speeds things up...

It cuts out the possibility of your (maybe) bad handwriting- it rules out any errors in that regard.

You save some hand cramps not having to write all of your info on the forms

You get your PIN right of the bat.

I did it online. I got my chl in 25 days door to door!

Applying online does NOT speed up your app process. You did not apply completely online. You STILL had to submit prints, photos, affidavits and CHL100 by mail. DPS does not process ANYTHING until they receive that.

More apps are delayed for bad prints and missing signatures than for bad handwriting.

krull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    The Woodlands, TX
    I never said that's what the law stated, I was just stating what an instructor mentioned in the chl class, I didn't double-check his facts because Im wasn't going to conceal carry in my car, do I don't really need to read your guide.

While the end result is correct, the law does NOT make your car an extension of your home. Again, READ MY GUIDE.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas

The ability to carry in your vehicle without a license (unlicensed carry) has nothing to do with the Castle Doctrine or any extension of your home to your car. The Motorist Protection Act added specific language to Texas Penal Code Section 46.02 which defines the conditions under which you may legally carry as an unlicensed individual.

Concerning handguns, this is also incorrect. The statute specifically states that the handgun MUST be concealed.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I never said that's what the law stated, I was just stating what an instructor mentioned in the chl class, I didn't double-check his facts because Im wasn't going to conceal carry in my car, do I don't really need to read your guide.

If you are going to advise others, perhaps you should take caution to not give wrong information. Read the guide.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Damn folks, maybe you should maybe "read the guide". lol.

Its almost funny how often the "the law is, as I know it"s get repeated so often.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Bad information is always preceded by "I heard." We all do it from time to time. Even "reliable sources" pass bad information, and we perpetuate it. It takes time and effort to research facts on your own, and most of us either don't have the time or inclination, or simply don't know where to look. Of course, the problem is compounded by statutes that are written in poor legalese rather than plain English, making it difficult for the average person to comprehend what's being said after wading knee deep through wherefores, towits, heretofores, and notwithstandings. The statutes that we perceive as telling us what's allowed, are very often written in the negative, telling us what's NOT allow, so we must infer (often incorrectly) what might be allowed, justified or considered reasonable in a certain circumstance.

I have to believe our legislators ponder over this crap for days or weeks, crafting the language so only they can understand it. Unfortunately, history has shown us that the law, as written, is often fraught with loopholes and unintended consequences, and must be repeatedly revisited to tweak and tighten the language. This tells me that, with all their fancy book-learnin, flowery speech and big words, these guys still can't write a coherent sentence.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Regardless of what people have been told you should always consult a chl hand book or other official source, last thing that needs to happen to anyone is to get popped because of bad second or third hand info that somebody said. txinvestigator's guide is spot on plus it's broke down kinda like a chl for dummies book.

krull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    The Woodlands, TX
    This is kinda funny. I took the class at Shiloh Shooting range and DoubleActionCHL's instructor is the one who told the class about the Castle law and what I stated, so I don't know. I think I'll just look it up myself. This is kind of ridiculous.

Top Bottom