• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    As far as legally, however, I think you're allowed. By law. But you could get fired if the college found out.

Its very similar to the employee carrying in their vehicle on school grounds (not colleges). Legally you're allowed to, but employees can be fired for violation of district policy.

Thankfully that will change Sep. 1.

Guess it's time to talk to my rep again and ask that "passenger vehicles" be changed to "any vehicle in the act of transporting a student" allowing me to carry in cases where I'm going in a school vehicle but not transporting kids.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    My first concern would be to keep my job over whether I'm legal or not.
    Gun Zone Deals

Inarus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    US
    My first concern would be to keep my job over whether I'm legal or not.
    I'm the exact same way. This is why I would not carry in my personal car when parking on school grounds. Although I'm legal I would get fired, especially considering the chief or campus police is rabidly anti-gun.

But again, that changes Sep 1 for me.

I'll add it to the list of things that need to happen in the 86th Texas Legislature.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I've been looking for what you're talking about and haven't found it yet. I'd like to read all about it.
    One case doesn't change the truth that the way the system works the great majority of the time is that we read the law, we follow the law, any LEOs we come in contact with also read and follow the law, and we're not in fear that we might "take the ride" anyways. That's the function of the law.

Using what might happen in spite of our following the law is not a valid argument. If it was, we'd all live in fear and run from shadows.

On the RARE occasion when an LEO doesn't know or follow the law and makes a bad arrest, the system has steps in place wherein that error can be corrected, including, if the arrested person wishes, civil suit for damages. That's why most of our LEOs in Texas are professional and don't make false arrests.
    You are wrong.

But here, read this.https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/matefrio-legal-defense-fund-please-read.45129/

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Do you care to add some information to explain that opinion, or not?

Also, thanks for looking up the story for me.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I'm the exact same way. This is why I would not carry in my personal car when parking on school grounds. Although I'm legal I would get fired, especially considering the chief or campus police is rabidly anti-gun.

But again, that changes Sep 1 for me.

I'll add it to the list of things that need to happen in the 86th Texas Legislature.

Still legal for them to fire you. At will employment and all that. Don't advertise and don't consent to a search

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Do you care to add some information to explain that opinion, or not?

Also, thanks for looking up the story for me.
    You have very little recourse if you are the victim of a bullshit arrest other than getting the case dismissed and the charge expunged from your record( at your expense by the way, personal experience talking here)
    If the easiest way to avoid the expense is to drive a personally owned vehicle, the best advice might be to just go that route.

Our penal code even specifically makes self defense against an arrest or search not justifiable even if you know the arrest or search is unlawful.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited:

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    "Our penal code even specifically makes self defense against an arrest or search not justifiable even if you know the arrest or search is unlawful."

That's covered in PC 9:31 (b) (2)...the rest of that law, which has exceptions, is covered in (c)...and that's a whole 'nudder topic.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    You have very little recourse if you are the victim of a bullshit arrest other than getting the case dismissed and the charge expunged from your record( at your expense by the way, personal experience talking here)
    If the easiest way to avoid the expense is to drive a personally owned vehicle, the best advice might be to just go that route.

QUOTE]

As to the above,

Once again, the above is expecting or assuming some officer to stop him who is either ignorant of the law or doesn't care, and that happens so rarely that I don't use that small chance to plan my day. I follow the law. We're not going to agree on this, so let's let it lie. OP was served by pointing him to what the law says

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    As to the above,

Once again, the above is expecting or assuming some officer to stop him who is either ignorant of the law or doesn't care, and that happens so rarely that I don't use that small chance to plan my day. I follow the law. We're not going to agree on this, so let's let it lie. OP was served by pointing him to what the law says
    Except that there are at least THREE members of this site that were arrested on bullshit charges( MateFrio, LOCKHART, and I have posted here publicly)and had to get them dismissed and expunged at their own expense.

The State is pretty good at doing what it wants with impunity and making it almost impossible to get satisfaction for their screw up civilly.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    I'm very sorry that THREE members have had bad experiences as you report. That is still a tiny minority of gun owners in TX, and not enough for me to fear either following the written law or answering a question here by pointing to the written law. If someone wants to stop short of excercising their legal rights, then that's their own choice, and I won't fault them for it. In a lot of life's situations, we make our decisions by what's right a majority of the time...there are exceptions and they can bite us in the butt...but we have to have a true north to start from. That's usually the written law.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I just remember what my LTC instructor said that DPS is mostly for citizens carrying, but not all Texas LEO's, be careful.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I'm with Charlie, my limited experience with HR and District administration as a teacher is they will screw you and let you fry if there is even a hint of trouble. I'd take my own vehicle. IT's worth the 80 dollars in gas to be able to carry your gun.
    This is why I never take a school vehicle. The gas expense is worth the extra protection.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Isn't a suburban a truck?

The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Registration & Title System Vehicle Classification Code, which describes the type of vehicle being titled, defines "Suburban type vehicles" as a "passenger trucks," hence it is a passenger vehicle.

hizer4648

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2017
    Take the suburban, take the firearm. Just leave the firearm at the hotel when at the conference .

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Take the suburban, take the firearm. Just leave the firearm at the hotel when at the conference .

That is just bad advice. Are you really advocating violating 46.03 when there are easier alternatives? Poor judgment leads to poor results. It's not worth the risk.

For example, we went out to eat on Saturday and I was concealed carrying. As our table wasn't ready, we were asked to wait in the bar. I wouldn't enter the are despite the fact that it was part of the restaurant and lacked of a 51% sign as the old adage "if it looks like a bar, it's probably one" kept running through my head. In other words, if there is any doubt whatsoever it's always best to err on the side of caution.

Same applies here. While the chances of getting caught are slim, what are the consequences if he is caught? It could lead to an arrest, and it could lead to termination of employment; neither of which are appealing. Simply taking his own vehicle would neutralize any chance of those results, which for the nominal cost in gas is cheap insurance indeed!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom