• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    I know: Impossible. Too bulky. Murderously slow to reload. Are you crazy?
    Well, for what it is worth this is what Clint Smith thinks about the subject:

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    People, the men and women, who actually CARRY and SHOOT single action revolvers a lot and OFTEN especially in 1 to 3 FAVORITE calibers... can shoot them very well, RELOAD fairly quickly and most of those people OPEN carry on the hip or use a shoulder holster - concealed or open carry.

I can only speak for the people that I know and knew - dead now, they competed with several types of handguns and so forth. That goes for ME too when I used to own, carry and shoot handguns.

I don't care what people say but a REAL former or present single action revolver GUN man or woman who is USED to shooting and carrying their ONE or three or whatever single action revolvers CAN SHOOT them very well.

They are or were proficient shooters usually with s/a or d/a revolvers AND some semi automatic pistols.

Old Lady Cate

PS: The people who are NOT used to shooting, carrying and cleaning single action revolvers on a VERY, very REGULAR BASIS - may not understand this simple fact or find it hard to RELATE to since many of them ONLY own or shoot or carry semi automatic pistols.

THIS goes for many people who can't RELATE to lever action and bolt action GUN men and women shooting CF or RF firearms too.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    IF you put your FIRST SHOT where it belongs - it really does not matter how fast you can reload.

Make the FIRST shot count and follow up with more rounds if needed.

This goes for competition shooting AND to STOP A THREAT in real life.

Too many people rely on SPRAY and pray shooting with their semi automatic pistols and they MAY carry a gun on their body but they DO NOT practice often or enough, they do not take carrying a self defense firearm SERIOUSLY and some of them barely CLEAN or care for their gun.

And if an OLD or young PERSON has SUPER bad arthritis or some bad nerve damage when it comes to USING their former or present HANDGUNS where they can't depend on the day on HOW their hands ACTUALLY WORK - they NEED to change or switch out THEIR SPECIFIC firearms OR FIND ANOTHER TOOL that works for them and their disabilities!

Been there - done that myself.

Old Lady Cate

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Can it be done? Sure. Should it be done? Personal choice I guess. There's a reason nobody does it though.

I can walk to work too but I'm not going to.

Writers need something to write about and controversy increases viewership. Viewership equals money.

I don't care who writes it. A stupid article is a stupid article.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    So while carrying SAA, maybe tough to sit down, but wouldn't it all be worth it just to see expression on bad guys face when you pull this out?

pull.jpg

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    When my oldest uncle was a very young boy of about 8, circa 1920, his mom took him to Denver to visit his grandfather, who had been born in Burnet in 1855, raised kids in the vicinity of Buffalo Gap and Abilene then moved on up to the Canadian country to ranch. My uncle had heard some stories about his grandfather getting into a couple of tight spots over the years, and he asked him if he had ever been shot. His grandfather showed him scars in one leg, one arm and a crease on the forehead near his widow's peak. Then he asked if he still had guns, and his grandfather pulled open the left side of his suit coat to reveal the butt of a Colt single action. My uncle told me this story twice in my life before he died.
    What does it prove? Nothing. But I will say this. I would hate to have taken my old great-grandfather, Champion Travis Traylor, Jr., for granted. He has that steadiness in his eyes ...

Attachments

• image_16867585.jpeg
      image_16867585.jpeg
      205.1 KB · Views: 31

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Six shots may be enough. I wouldn't worry about bulky, depending on barrel length chosen.

Some people may be proficient enough for this to be an acceptable choice. I doubt the average person has the needed proficiency.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Gunsite used to have a once-a-year course on defensive shooting with a single action. It's no longer on their website, though. I'm guessing the number of people who choose to carry a single action becomes less and less every year.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    NOT a Colt, but a story about a Ruger Vaquero…. Still a SA revolver…

When I purchased my property, near Lufkin in 2016, and was traveling between LaPorte and east TX on a weekly basis up 146, I often stopped in the very small town of Rye to buy the weekend libations.
    There was a liquor store there, the only one for 20 to 30 miles. Inside worked an intriguing young lady. She wore dark sunglasses, dressed in western attire, and packed a Ruger Vaquero in a western rig on her hip.
    After frequenting the establishment for about a year, I pieced together enough information to know that she was packing the gun because she was being stalked by a former lover who had been abusive.
    I’m told she moved on because he became aware of her new location.

She looked quite formidable behind the counter with that big revolver on her hip.
    It sent a message, for sure.

Top Bottom