• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Looking for a case trimmer for under 100 bucks to use with .380, 9mm, .40, .243, and 25-06. Can I get one for that. would like to trim while I'm watching tv. Am I going to cheap. I can spend more if I need to. I have been sorting but it's a pain and I've got brass that is over max now and don't feel like buying new cases. what would you reccommend. Plan on looking at some tomorrow and hope to pick one up.
    Target Sports

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Honestly, I have never trimmed pistol brass.

Small quantities of rifle brass is easy enough with the Lee trimmer and an electric screwdriver. Total investment is less than $50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Honestly, I have never trimmed pistol brass.

Small quantities of rifle brass is easy enough with the Lee trimmer and an electric screwdriver. Total investment is less than $50

Tired or sorting for a uniform crimp. Usually sorting by brand gets me close but not always. I still have to measure each case to find odd balls.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Tired or sorting for a uniform crimp. Usually sorting by brand gets me close but not always. I still have to measure each case to find odd balls.

You have too much OCD to reload pistol. Stick to precision rifle. :)

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    You know that's going straight to the out if context thread.....

Seriously it ain't that critical on pistol. But I'm in there with you for my long range stuff.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Yep, that Lyman fills the bill. Go ahead and trim all that pistol brass too. It does strech and you'll have headspace issues eventually.
    I trim all my brass and have excellent results seating and crimping. : )
    OCD aint a bad thing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thats what I had been leaning toward but figured it doesn't hurt to ask, hopefully they have one at the gun shop tomorrow.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    You want cheap? Look at the Lee system, individual pilot/length gage and shellholder for each cartridge, and a common cutter. Fast, and cheap. I chuck my cutter in a drill press, and can trim several hundred per hour. Lot's of people chuck the cutter in a hand drill and trim while watching TV.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    This may not be the answer you want, but have you looked into the dies you are using? I'm curious about the variation you are seeing because I have thousands upon thousands of samples of crimp measurements from mixed headstamp brass in multiple calibers that show less than +/- 0.0015" maximum variation in crimp. What kind of variation are you seeing in your ammunition that makes you want to undertake the pain of trimming pistol brass?

Except for very hot loads in a few calibers you don't mention, your chances of ending up over the SAAMI spec before you lose that brass are probably pretty slim. I've tried to measure expansion on 380 and 9, it wasn't worth the time. There are guys who love to brag about their 20 year old brass that they've never trimmed and can't even read the headstamp on it anymore.

I like Forster or Sinclair for manual trimmers, I didn't like the standard RCBS one very much.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I don't have twenty year old brass, but some of my primer pockets are so loose that I could just about seat a primer by hand. :)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have not had any bad variations in my crimps, but I am relatively new to pistol reloading, everything before was rifle and I don't crimp my rifle rounds. I would sort by length for batches. When I moved to pistol I figured a longer case would cause a tighter crimp and possibly cause excessive pressure. If it's nothing to worry about I won't bother, I will just get a the cheap lee trimmers so I can start using my saved up over length rifle brass. Thanks for everyones advise.

Top Bottom