• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I'm not certain which forum would be the proper place, but this is about a rifle, so I chose this one.

It's more of a question.... I have shot some commercial cast bullets out of my .45 Blackhawk revolver, and noticed that they leaded some... bad diameter/bore match, I imagine.

I also have shot some of them out of my Rossi lever gun in .45 Colt... I have not inspected the bore yet (just found the leading in the Blackhawk) but was wondering if any of you guys/gals have experienced any leading in your rifles? << that is my question... :)

I scrub the barrel with some pure copper Chore-Boy pad wrapped around a bore brush, and it cleans out the Blackhawk barrel pretty well.
    I'm guessing, but I imagine it will do as well in a carbine barrel as it does in the shorter pistol barrel, if I find any leading there... I had honestly never thought about leading a rifle barrel, only pistols...

Any input is appreciated....
    Gun Zone Deals

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Sizing, velocity, and bullet lube all play a role in leading. There's no one size fits all answer. I resorted to casting my own instead of purchasing so I had more control over the process. Most commercial casters will use the hardest lube so that it's doesn't melt during shipping in hot climates, but it doesn't do much for lubing the bore while shooting.

I resorted to powder coating or using a home brew alox mixture and tumble coating to cure my leading issues. Powder coating makes prettier bullets but my alox coating works just as good and not much smoke.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    915705039c5b108fd8da608d2fa6b572.jpg

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Alloy used in making the bullets has a lot to do with it.
    Wheel weights are notorious for leading bores, pure lead isn't that much better.
    Linotype is about the best, as hard, or harder than wheel weights, but with minimal leading.

Then lube, and velocity, as andre3k says.
    Bet that your carbine has a lot of leading.

I'm going to try some moly spray-on, bake-on spray coating (for engine parts) soon.
    Have everything but some .45 molds.

Then there is always the copper plated lead bullets, like Berry's Bullets. Berry;s Bullets

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Yes.... I understand the how's of leading... I've just never thought to look for it in a rifle, and wondered if any of you had ever seen it/dealt with it..

I've got some Lee 255gr RF bullets cast and PC'd and loaded up. I intend to only use PC'd or possibly TL'd bullets that I have cast, so I can get them to the proper diameter.
    I was simply wondering at the odds of my barrel being leaded from using the commercial stuff.
    I have not slugged the bore of the Rossi... it might be snug enough that I haven't leaded it.... but I bet not.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Yes, I've seen leading in a rifle.
    IMO, the culprit is usually bullet alloy that is too soft for the velocity/power of the round.
    I have a WInchester Miruko 1886 .45-70 that leads up like crazy.
    I'm still fooling around with it trying new bullets. I'm about throw in the towel and go strictly with plated lead in it.
    Bore smoothness has its effect as well. Use some JB bore paste and polish your barrel.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Yes any barrel can lead up. I have 20" bbl 45 colt [.452 saami] carbine with an oversize bore. It won't shoot any commercial ammo lead or jacketed. I have to cast large and resize to .456 for accuracy and a clean bore. back in the 'days' that's one reason why bullets had paper jackets. Yes JB bore paste is great! Be aware that some experience loss of lead bullet accuracy from copper fouling due to jacketed bullets.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I think I need to inspect/clean the bore, then slug it.... I need to know what I'm dealing with.
    I really want to shoot lead/PC'd bullets in it. I don't think it's ever had a jacketed bullet down the bore...

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Sizing, velocity, and bullet lube all play a role in leading. There's no one size fits all answer. I resorted to casting my own instead of purchasing so I had more control over the process. Most commercial casters will use the hardest lube so that it's doesn't melt during shipping in hot climates, but it doesn't do much for lubing the bore while shooting.

I resorted to powder coating or using a home brew alox mixture and tumble coating to cure my leading issues. Powder coating makes prettier bullets but my alox coating works just as good and not much smoke.

EXACTLY THIS ^^^^

20190224_113125.jpg 20190224_114014.jpg

1691608803093.png

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I don't shoot commercially cast bullets unless they are coated. All the non-coated stuff leaded up anything I shot through it because of the crap lube most use.

Top Bottom