• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I have a couple of old cast iron pans from my grandma. This is now on the wish list.

Skillet_Top_PlusLid2__13669.1409334303.1280.1280.j  pg

Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Griswold. Wagner. Finex.

What makes them any more desirable that the decades-old Lodge pans in my kitchen?

Just FYI - I have three very old Lodge pans, one I bought and two I inherited from my grandmother. I've been using cast iron pans almost exclusively for the last 25 years.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I'm a huge cast iron fan. Got into it a little less than a year ago and already own several Lodge skillets. Still haven't washed any aside from wiping them down with a paper towel after (nearly) every use. They are definitely rougher than pricier stuff but that has never been an issue for me. Use enough grease/margarine/whatever and you'll be fine. If you want them smooth you can do it yourself with a grinder if you have the patience.

I'm actually a big fan of Lodge. Their stuff is affordable and can easily be given to great grandchildren. Made in USA. You can even find them in any Walmart or Academy.

It's nice to see an up and coming cast Iron company, but goddamn- $195 for a 12" skillet? Yeah, that's probably about the equivalent of what someone would have paid for one 200 years ago, but times have changed. I could get antique Griswold, Wagner, etc for a lot less than that on eBay or Craigslist. Too rich for my cheapskate blood. I hope they make a fortune off of yuppie assholes who have to have the latest, trendiest, "New and improved," never used health fad crap. Leaves more the old "Junkers" for guys like me.

BTW- For you cast iron junkies out there, there are still a few cast iron cookware in the US from pre-colonial times. They're all yours if you've got around $700+ to drop.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Griswold. Wagner. Finex.

What makes them any more desirable that the decades-old Lodge pans in my kitchen?

Nitpicks, basically. Lodge has always been the bargain cast iron. They are much rougher than finely polished alternatives. The fact they were always extremely affordable is probably why they are the only original cast iron company still in business and still made in USA. If you want a super smooth pan all you need is an orbital grinder and a lot of time.

Lemme see... brand new Finex 12": $195. Brand new Lodge 12": <$15. Cheap grinder: $35. Grinding pads: $10. Time: free.

Total cost of lodge skillet that works just as well as any other: $60. Plus you get to keep the grinder for other projects. Or just spend $60 on an antique higher end brand and save the work. Nothing at all against Finex, but I know where my money is going.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    What I have will do for now. I have a couple 9in wagner pans that are ok but my 6 member family has outgrown them. As stated if you get a one it should last generations.

Old lodge stuff is good. Once you get a nice smooth milled or ground Wagner or Griswold its hard to look back.

I think the 2nd part of a good cast iron skillet is a square corner metal spatula. Below is the one I got. "Razor sharp" is pushing it but it's sharper than a dull knife.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EN4QB6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...If you want a super smooth pan all you need is an orbital grinder and a lot of time.

Lemme see... brand new Finex 12": $195. Brand new Lodge 12": <$15. Cheap grinder: $35. Grinding pads: $10. Time: free. ...
    Or just inherit something old.

My oldest pans have occasionally been neglected (both by my mother and by me) so that they rusted. That's no big deal. Break out the steel wool, work it till the rust is gone, and start over by re-seasoning the pan. After a few rounds of that, even a rough Lodge will be smoother than owl snot on the inside.

It seems to me that an old Lodge and some work (by whatever method) will result in a product that cooks just as well as something that starts out expensive.

Curious about the subject, I found this page supporting the "older is better" mantra: Black Iron Blog: Griswold Pop-over Pans

I remember seeing one of those bargain hunter TV shows ("American Pickers", maybe?) where they were in some desert state at a flea market in the middle of nowhere. They ran across literally tons of cast-iron cookware that was very old and lightly rusted. They showed no interest whatsoever.

If the hipsters have really gotten into cast iron, though, I imagine places like that have long since seen the vultures descend.

ETA: Here's a better link on the "New vs. Old" thing: http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/2008/05/old-cast-iron-vs-new-cast-iron.html

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I like cast iron. Been using them on campfires for years, but got them I the kitchen as well. I haven't paid those kinds of prices though.

Of course Sapper called me a yuppie the other day so maybe I'm just trying to be cool!

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    $270 for a 12" skillet is beyond pricey, its stupid money. There website gives zero tech info on quality, finish or anything else. Don't waste your time...my guess is...Made in China

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    $270 for a 12" skillet is beyond pricey, its stupid money. There website gives zero tech info on quality, finish or anything else. Don't waste your time...my guess is...Made in China
    Are you talking about the Finex with lid? Those are made in the U.S. See the video in the OP. What makes me let out with a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot about their products is that they've patented the octagon. Seriously.

Read here: FINEX Cast Iron Skillet Product Details & Manufacturing

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Are you talking about the Finex with lid? Those are made in the U.S. See the video in the OP. What makes me let out with a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot about their products is that they've patented the octagon. Seriously.

Read here: FINEX Cast Iron Skillet Product Details & Manufacturing
    Not the same website I ended up on, so I will take back what said about made in china. Lots of sales folks say engineers are the hardest people to sell to. I say NO, you present a good engineer solution and I will be the first one to buy.

For all you cast iron owners, you might want to take a look at this: http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/cooktops/induction-cooktops/NITP066UC.html?source=browse

Induction cooking, uses magnetic force to cook with and cast iron is as good as it gets...

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Or just inherit something old.

My oldest pans have occasionally been neglected (both by my mother and by me) so that they rusted. That's no big deal. Break out the steel wool, work it till the rust is gone, and start over by re-seasoning the pan. After a few rounds of that, even a rough Lodge will be smoother than owl snot on the inside.

If I ever find something rusty worth having I'll have a good excuse to try that battery charger rust removal process.

As an aside, a month ago I went to a garage sale where a guy was selling stuff he clearly cleaned out of garages. He had an ancient Lodge dutch oven. Chipped lid, completely covered in rust. I asked the price.

$35!

I don't know what this guy thought he had, or if he figured some yuppie idiot would buy it (not likely as I doubt any of them would find a rusty dutch oven anything more than next week's trash). I told the guy flat out I can get them brand new at Walmart for the same price. "No, not one like this!" "Yes. Lodge- still made in the USA and everything." He didn't believe it was possible. I walked on the deal, of course, but in hindsight I should have made a bet with the guy. We'll drive to Walmart. If I can show him one just like it brand new for the same price, I get his wares for free. If not, I give him $35 for free.

Live and learn. I still wonder if he ever sold the thing or ended up throwing it away every time I drive by. My guess is the latter, which kinda makes me think he's an asshole for trashing it instead of selling it at a reasonable price to someone who would restore and appreciate it.

I'll read those links later today hopefully. I have a weird sort of obsession with cast-iron stuff so I'm into stuff like that.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Magnetic or charcoal, it cooks better food. Cooking well with cast iron on a camp fire requires skill by itself. Too many people by it and don't learn how to use it.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Top Bottom