• ...and so much more!
  • Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1000810253/cci-shotshell-ammunition-40-s-and-w-88-grains-9-shot

Does anyone have any alternatives for the above linked pest rounds/shotshell for handguns? I had some of these sittin around and decided to test them in my gun cause i've never needed to use them before.. so i loaded up 10 shells and went outside. each shell caused a malfunction. most common was failure to chamber. they angled downward and got jammed while chambering. other times when the rounds DID chamber properly I got the stove pipe... eventually I ended up racking one, removing the mag, shooting. replace mag rack the slide remove mag shoot. that was the only way to effectively keep them from jamming after every round. I imagine due to the odd shape of the rounds its causing them to jam. or there isn't enough powder in them to make the slide go back all the way causing a half assed chambering which causes the jam and the stove pipe.. but yeah anyone know of any alternatives? I live out in the country and always carry when im outside and if i run across a copperhead or rattler these would be more ideal than carrying a 12 gauge around.
    Gun Zone Deals

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    My experiences have been that shotshells and semi-auto pistols don't mix well together. An inexpensive revolver loaded with shotshells is what I use when I'm mowing and otherwise working on the place.
    Hmm... My dad hada 357 magnum revolver. maybe I'll see if m m om can find it and let me have/use it. if not I guess I could always go buy another gun :D

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'd load a 357 with 38 SPL cases and shot from a shotgun shell. Shot shells are very easy to reload if you have some shot, wads for the caliber and then cut some small disks from cardboard to lay on top of the load and seal it with clear fingernail polish. Use the loading information from a trusted loading manual.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I never understood how a semi-auto would chamber a round with a plastic nose and not shatter the plastic????

I have been using a .357 or 38spl REVOLVER for decades. I used to put the Speer Shot Capsule reloaded cases (5.5 gr Unique) in the cylinder of my wife's Ruger Security Six in May when I figured is was COPPERHEAD season and then put regular ammo back in it around October when the snakes got dormant.

Then I bought a few more Colt, Ruger and S&W .357/38spl revolvers so I can keep a few with the shotshells all the time.

I made a few Spear shot capsule rounds for my Vaqueros (44-40 and 45 Colt) just for fun.

I live in COPPERHEAD country and dispatch 3 to 7 a year on my property. I wish the Rat snakes and Bull snakes would eat all the prey so the Copperheads would just GO AWAY!!!!

bob

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    I use shotshells in my .22 Ruger Blackhawk when certain snakes invade my little backyard pond.

I used to catch and relocate them, but that is a tedious, time consuming process. I kill young blotched watersnakes and yellow bellied watersnakes. I've caught a ribbon one time.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I never understood how a semi-auto would chamber a round with a plastic nose and not shatter the plastic????

I have been using a .357 or 38spl REVOLVER for decades. I used to put the Speer Shot Capsule reloaded cases (5.5 gr Unique) in the cylinder of my wife's Ruger Security Six in May when I figured is was COPPERHEAD season and then put regular ammo back in it around October when the snakes got dormant.

Then I bought a few more Colt, Ruger and S&W .357/38spl revolvers so I can keep a few with the shotshells all the time.

I made a few Spear shot capsule rounds for my Vaqueros (44-40 and 45 Colt) just for fun.

I live in COPPERHEAD country and dispatch 3 to 7 a year on my property. I wish the Rat snakes and Bull snakes would eat all the prey so the Copperheads would just GO AWAY!!!!

bob

The auto pistol rounds don't use the plastic capsule. It's a longer casing, sized down to fit in the area where the bullet would be with a plastic seal over the open end.

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    So I've been looking for the CCI shot ammo on many sites like midway cabelas brownell bass pro shops etc, and it seems like this ammo is extremely hard to find... i cant find it in 40 anywhere and i only found 1 or 2 sites that have 357 mag/38 sp in stock... i wonder if CCI has stopped manufacturing of this ammo...

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    i Did run by my local gun shop today tho and they had about 50 rds left... siad they havent got any in in awhile... i guess they arent making it in 40 S&W anymore

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The auto pistol rounds don't use the plastic capsule. It's a longer casing, sized down to fit in the area where the bullet would be with a plastic seal over the open end.
    Looks like plastic to me!!!!

CCI9mm.jpg

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Only handgun shotshells I use are 45 ACP, loaded by the RCBS shotshell die, using cut down 308 brass, cut down .410 wad, and a 44 gas check. Takes a little tuning, but with the proper load of WW231, they feed and cycle the action fine. When I very occasionally carry a 1917 S&W in 45 ACP, I use cylinder length 308 brass They work, too.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    So I've been looking for the CCI shot ammo on many sites like midway cabelas brownell bass pro shops etc, and it seems like this ammo is extremely hard to find... i cant find it in 40 anywhere and i only found 1 or 2 sites that have 357 mag/38 sp in stock... i wonder if CCI has stopped manufacturing of this ammo...

You asked for .38/.357, so I provided links to those.

Call CCI and ask about the .40

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    You asked for .38/.357, so I provided links to those.

Call CCI and ask about the .40
    well in the original post (and in the title) i was looking for replacement shot ammo for my 40 S&W cause the CCI ammo jammedafter every round. Then later on someone suggested revolvers. I could see the confusion between my wording and then starting to talk about revolvers.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Only handgun shotshells I use are 45 ACP, loaded by the RCBS shotshell die, using cut down 308 brass, cut down .410 wad, and a 44 gas check. Takes a little tuning, but with the proper load of WW231, they feed and cycle the action fine. When I very occasionally carry a 1917 S&W in 45 ACP, I use cylinder length 308 brass They work, too.
    Ingenious... I've thought about developing rounds like that if I needed to.

Or, you could just use the CCI .45ACP shotshell... they've worked for me.
    I've never tried the .40S&W version, never found them.

Top Bottom