• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Lakeway, Tx
    PHOENIX -- Arizona law currently states that the only time you can display a weapon to someone is if that person threatens your life.

Showing that you're armed based on anything less than a deadly threat is illegal.

"A display of deadly force could be construed as aggravated assault of a threatening/intimidating charge," said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump.

That is, until Wednesday.

On September 30, Crump says the way to protect yourself changes.

The new law says if someone merely threatens to hurt you physically, such as a bruise or a scrape, you can display a weapon.

"You can now tell people you have a firearm with the insinuation that I have it for self-protection and that has a justification afforded to it," said Crump.

In other words, if you find yourself in an altercation that may turn physical, not necessarily deadly, state law will now allow you to touch, grab or hold a gun with the intention of letting the other person know you have it.

"You are also allowed to reach into things now, be it a backpack, compartment or other place, with the insinuation I will use it if need be," said Crump.

The change in state law doesn't sit well with some.

"I was always brought up, don't show it unless you're going to use it," said Jonathan Sanchez of Phoenix.

Like it or not, the change becomes law in less than 48 hours.

"It's like saying I'm going to show you this gun but I'm not going to use it, I don't agree with that," said Tina Fillian of Mesa.

To read the Arizona state statute that covers justification for defensive display of a weapon, click here.
    Texas SOT

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    Yes AZ is an open carry state.
    Luckily the TX chl already addresses this and reads that threats of deadly force are not considered deadly force by themselves. (Paraphrased as I am too lazy right now to cut and paste, )

Joat

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    PHOENIX -- Arizona law currently states that the only time you can display a weapon to someone is if that person threatens your life.

Showing that you're armed based on anything less than a deadly threat is illegal.

"A display of deadly force could be construed as aggravated assault of a threatening/intimidating charge," said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump.

That is, until Wednesday.

On September 30, Crump says the way to protect yourself changes.

The new law says if someone merely threatens to hurt you physically, such as a bruise or a scrape, you can display a weapon.

"You can now tell people you have a firearm with the insinuation that I have it for self-protection and that has a justification afforded to it," said Crump.

In other words, if you find yourself in an altercation that may turn physical, not necessarily deadly, state law will now allow you to touch, grab or hold a gun with the intention of letting the other person know you have it.

"You are also allowed to reach into things now, be it a backpack, compartment or other place, with the insinuation I will use it if need be," said Crump.

The change in state law doesn't sit well with some.

"I was always brought up, don't show it unless you're going to use it," said Jonathan Sanchez of Phoenix.

Like it or not, the change becomes law in less than 48 hours.

"It's like saying I'm going to show you this gun but I'm not going to use it, I don't agree with that," said Tina Fillian of Mesa.

To read the Arizona state statute that covers justification for defensive display of a weapon, click here.

This was an AZCDL requested bill that we got passed. ( I am still a member ) ( Arizona citizens defense league ) And, yes, we need one here too. (AZCDL)

I think it allows you to to also put your hand on the weapon while showing it. I know we were trying to pass the bill with the language that you could even draw the weapon, just not point it at the threat until your life is in danger. I don't know if that wording got in.

Hell, before, you either had to wait to be attacked or had to shoot the threat. There was no middle ground. If you even said that you were armed before this passed, you could have been charged with a misdemeanor.

And the comment by the officer, saying that being threatend by bruises and scrapes is enough to display, is B.S ! ( If HE said that )

This was the second time we got this to the Gov's desk. Brewer signed it , but our director of Homeland Security, Ms. ex-gov., Janet N. would not

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AmyG
    Top Bottom