• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dinkydow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    N.E. Ohio
    I have a fairly new HP laptop. As an OS it has Vista, home premium, installed. I want to upgrade to windoz 7. The question is, if I re-format in W-7, does the new OS ask me, if, it is for a laptop, or a desk top? I don't want to lose my ability to launch a wireless brouser. I have never reformated a laptop.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    it should be just an upgrade, shouldnt affect any functions of the laptop. i have windows 7 on my laptop and it has all the functions its supposed to

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Not to hijack the thread but I think dinkydow wouldn't mind clearing this up. Do you first Unistall Vista before installing Windows 7? And will the upgrade to 7 effect things like your Itune account??

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Get your Windows 7 disk, drop it in the CD drive and boot up. Answer the questions, enter the product key and you should be good to go.

Personally I repave from the ground up: reformat the hard drive and install from scratch. Takes longer but the end result is a stable system that I have no trouble with. This also means you have to reinstall everything like iTunes, Office and other applications. However, upgrades some times are dicey and iTunes installed for Vista may not be perfectly (as if) after the upgrade.

One option to consider is paying Geek Squad at Best Buy to do it for you. Or that pimply faced nerd down the street.

And regardless of which way you go - Windows 7 is Windows 7. The mobile stuff is just there.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I reformatted my HP laptop and installed a clean copy of Win7 on it a few months ago. I highly recommend just backing up your vital files, and then wiping the hard drive. I would NEVER do any sort of upgrade from Vista.

dinkydow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    N.E. Ohio
    Not to hijack the thread but I think dinkydow wouldn't mind clearing this up. Do you first Unistall Vista before installing Windows 7? And will the upgrade to 7 effect things like your Itune account??

I had planned on deleting the Vista OS.. And installing a Builders edition of win 7. I do not particularly care for all the bundled up crap that comes with the retail copy. A clean wipe is what I was going to do.

dinkydow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    N.E. Ohio
    Get your Windows 7 disk, drop it in the CD drive and boot up. Answer the questions, enter the product key and you should be good to go.

Personally I repave from the ground up: reformat the hard drive and install from scratch. Takes longer but the end result is a stable system that I have no trouble with. This also means you have to reinstall everything like iTunes, Office and other applications. However, upgrades some times are dicey and iTunes installed for Vista may not be perfectly (as if) after the upgrade.

One option to consider is paying Geek Squad at Best Buy to do it for you. Or that pimply faced nerd down the street.

And regardless of which way you go - Windows 7 is Windows 7. The mobile stuff is just there.

The answer to the question. Thank you.

I installed windows 7 from scratch with a builders copy on my desktop. I have reformatted various PC's, from the curb up, more than once. I must have purged everything and re-installed Win 98 on several much older machines, all desktops ...twenty times! Just was not sure about the lap functions in particular the wireless brouser with a ground up re-format on a flip top.

Re-installing the software of MY choice, is the only option, as as I am concerned.

dinkydow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    N.E. Ohio
    I reformatted my HP laptop and installed a clean copy of Win7 on it a few months ago. I highly recommend just backing up your vital files, and then wiping the hard drive. I would NEVER do any sort of upgrade from Vista.

There are no files on my LT that I do not have already on a CD... Poor choice of words on my part perhaps. Upgrade. No upgrade on Vista is contemplated. I am wanting to kick Vista to the curb completly. I have had HUGE doses of pure JOY by doing a clean re-install of windoz-7 on my DT... Just never completed one on a LT before. Sounds like no big deal.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    It should install fine. No different than your desktop.

If you don't have access to your desktop while you are installing I would consider downloading the windows 7 network drivers beforehand, just in case you need them.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Both of my daughters got new Toshiba laptops for Christmas (they were freaking cheap) just too damn lazy to put a proper build on them. I just uninstalled a bunch of the garbage that affects stability. My workstation on the otherhand - nothing but the best. But then again it is what pays for this mess.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Eli,

You use Ubuntu instead of Windows? I haven't played with it, but just spent a couple of hours clearing a virus from the GF's laptop. Tired of fixing her stuff.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I have a Linux machine. It's an extra and I'm not on it all that much. It's a cool OS, but I find it a bit too geeky for every day use. Linux is improving rapidly though.

This site is on a Linux server.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Eli,

You use Ubuntu instead of Windows? I haven't played with it, but just spent a couple of hours clearing a virus from the GF's laptop. Tired of fixing her stuff.
    I've used Ubuntu as my primary desktop OS since 6.06 came out in 2006! It's REALLY easy to install, just follow the instructions. There are NO viruses, it comes with an office suite, and installing additional applications are a few mouse clicks and a password away. Download the LiveCD and try it out! Just follow the instructions, "RTFM" does hold meaning in *nix!

Eli

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    It's gonna have to wait. I have the laptop and a bunch of 1GB Flash drives. The only thing bigger I have are a couple of external HDDs that have data. The USB installer wants to format these before it writes the iso. I would lose the data and I don't want to do that. Will go buy a 4GB flash later today.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i jsut got a 500 gb usb drive. jsut a tad bigger thna blackberry, runs on USB power.

so awesome.

i use it to run fedora on the secondary pc at work.

much lighter than carrying my laptop.

Top Bottom