• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • high_lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Denton County, TX
    both Walmart and Cabela's had better prices on .45 than CDT. Walmart was 16.97 for Fed Champion, and Cabela's was 15.99. CDT didn't even carry the Fed Champion.

However i liked their price on the Chip McCormick 1911 10 rounders for 24, where Cabela's only had the Wilson for 40. I guess you get your best prices by shopping around.
    Hurley's Gold

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    Cheaper than Dirt will never ever get my business. When the whole Obamanama fear started they helped fuel the fear and were the first to jack up prices to help facilitate that fear.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Haven't made it to the shop in McKinney. I used to stop in the Fort Worth store when I had business in Dallas. When I bought my wife a S&W 337 in 2000 she had trouble dealing with the recoil. Stopped in CTD and they were stocking .38 special target wadcutters at $6.99/box. Asked for a bulk buy and ended up paying $4.99/box for 3K rounds. I bought a number of glock mags and like-new ammo cans from them. Haven't been in the shop since 2003, but they did treat me well when I shopped there.

jryanmiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2011
    Anna
    There are much better shops than Cheaper Than Dirt right on that same intersection. Academy is right there, the Walmart there has a decent selection and there is a small but exellent shop called Guns and Knives. Not to mention Cabelas right down the highway.
    They have some cool Tac stuff but if you're not in the sandbox then you dont really need it.
    Plus i hear-tell the employees go to other stores to buy their ammo anyways

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    For ammo CTD is not the place to shop, other than some of the military surplus 5.56 etc. I know a lot of folks are pissed and say they won't shop there for previous business practices. And that's certainly you prerogative and I respect that.

I however wonder in there from time to time because the FW store is very close to my work. If you catch stuff on sale, you can find some good deals.

jryanmiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2011
    Anna
    i have never been in the FW store. my only experience is with the McKinney store. I walked in a few weeks ago to look at the Ruger SR1911 and the guy handed it to me and walked off and pulled a weapon out of a defferent case for someone else before i had handed it back to them...

My brother went in there looking for a Savage 17HMR for varmints and they tried selling him a .22LR AK47 saying it was a superior weapon for hunting.

And dont try and correct them, they dont like it... Some guy tried telling me that you couldnt get tritium sights for the XD(m) because the sights are molded into the frame... which they're not....

83v45magna

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Frisco
    It is awful nice to have them around.
    I think the Mckinney store will eventually accumulate more stock (like Glock parts, their just too common not to). I half expect to find Glock parts at 7-11s at some point in the future.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Cheaper than Dirt

When I've compared ammo pricing (for several different calibers), I find there are almost too many variables to consider. I think it's fairly easy to find some isolated, specific example in which to make your point. For instance on the .45 cal ammo, for 230gr FMJ: S&B and MagTech at CTD $17.29 and Cabela's, $21.99 and PCM $18.84 at CTD while Cabela's is $22.99. I won't go on because there's really no point in it. I just bought six boxes of 9mm S&B at Cabela's because they had it on sale which made it a little less than CTD - did I save a whole lot of money? No, not much.
    And I've heard the tales of CTD price gouging before... all I can say is, it's certainly well within your right to have that opinion - in fact, I won't give Firestone my business because of the tire blow problems of a few years ago. They [Firestone] lost my business for life due to their corporate lying over the matter. While I certainly don't consider price gouging to be fair (or even an acceptable practice), some might just consider it Capitalism carried to the extreme: the law of supply and demand at work! Back when Dell Computer Corporataion was known as PCs Limited, they were supposedly the most sued company in Texas; did that stop them from growing and becomming what they are today? Like a friend once told me, "ya just got to get over it." And if not, all ya can do as an individual is "vote" with your wallet. As for the rest of us, we'll take the cheap ammo where and when we can get it.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Honestly, I think the ammo pricing was overblown. All ammo went up, and it is within a retailers option to price as they see fit, and consumers to not buy as they see fit.

I saw people posting that CTD was going to Walmart and buying their ammo and reselling... I just don't believe that. There is no way they could have bought enough Walmart ammo and marked it up enough to make it worth while.

On the other hand, if you're pissed at CTD then don't shop there. I can tell you though, their gun counter is 3 deep on week ends and stuff is flying out the door even though unless on sale, their gun prices are high.

Top Bottom