• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I bet they will be more than happy to do them transfers for ya........at a cost.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I bet they will be more than happy to do them transfers for ya........at a cost.

Thats what it is, they want all the transfer revenue because it's basically free money. They will jack up their transfer cost $50-$100 per firearm.

I personally don't want this crap to pass simply because I don't want every unstable Tom, Dick, and Harry bringing a potentially loaded firearm in my shop and shooting my ass on accident or otherwise.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    There are some good things in this one, as compared to the others............

allows purchasers who are legally qualified to buy a handgun in any state, not simply the state of which they are a resident.

The Toomey-Manchin proposal allows sales between private parties as well as family members. It only requires a background check in the case of a commercial [Gun Show] environment.

if you posses any type of firearm license to own, use or carry a gun (CCW/CHL), there would not be a government background check.
    That makes my out of state CHL even more appealing, kills one of the most often cited reasons for not having one.

The bill flat out states that NO NATIONAL REGISTRY can be created. More importantly, there is a provision that makes it a felony for any person, including federal agents or the Attorney General, who misuses any of the background check data.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Those points have been debunked.

It does not prevent registries except by the AG and only the. The records of currently active FFLs. Once they retire any records they have may be put in to a registry by the AG.

Any sale which is posted on the internet(TGT classified, TexasGunTrader, etc) may be subject to background check.

It also undermines FOPA for interstate travel and a couple other things.

This is NOT a good bill.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I no longer support CTD

...and Younggun has it right............

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    The only reason I even go to CTD is because it's on the way to and from one of the properties I hunt on.

That's no longer the case. I'm clearing anything related to them from my house and internet history, and I refuse to even set foot on their property again.

**** this bill, and **** anyone who supports it.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    The only requirement states that a 4473 form would be filled out by the purchaser and maintained by the seller—that means there would never be a call made to the government.

First time I'm hearing about any form in this bill. :confused:

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    Lets not forget all the AWB amendments that were attached to this bill as well. As far as "making registry illegal" Eric Holder would have to prosecute himself if he did it. Cheaper than dirt has already proven themselves to be "selective supporters" and will NOT receive any support on this or any other issue they adopt.

ShootWhenICan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Houston
    Stopped doing business with them years ago. Now it's Midway for the most part. I also really enjoy supporting my local gun stores.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Good heavens! There are still people doing business with the dirtbags at CTD???!?

Never, never, never will they get a nickel from me!

Do business with quality companies - Midway was mentioned by ShootWhenICan and that is definitely one of the good companies. Grafs is another.

hardcase60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Central Texas
    "The only requirement states that a 4473 form would be filled out by the purchaser and maintained by the seller—that means there would never be a call made to the government"

First time I'm hearing about any form in this bill. :confused:

Southpaw, In no way is this reply meant to be antagonistic, but after the purchaser fills out the 4473, in order for a FFL to complete a transaction he/she is required by law to then instigate a background check. My understanding is currently he/she then files the form in the store records.

Text from the proposed bill:

‘(t)(1) Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of the Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection (s). Upon taking possession of the firearm, the licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the firearm from the licensee’s inventory to the unlicensed transferee.

Link to text:

Text of S. 649: Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013 (Placed on Calendar in the Senate version) - GovTrack.us

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    There are some good things in this one, as compared to the others............

That makes my out of state CHL even more appealing, kills one of the most often cited reasons for not having one.

It broadens the CHL exemption to NICS, but you still would have to do a 4473/transfer. Federal law already prohibits a registry.

The "pro-gun" stuff is a bunch of bullshit, frankly. We already have at least half the things they say they won us and the interstate handgun buying is something that would/will be so rarely used it's not any real gain.

Top Bottom