ARJ Defense ad

Chest rig vs warbelt for training purposes.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Depends on how they plan on using that training I guess.

Train the way you're going to play (fight, whatever). Otherwise, the training can actually cause more problems than it fixes.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    lol Would not one's time be better spent training on basics and self-defense scenarios that one might actully face, rather than on some Red Dawn fantasy?

I am not against preparing, but......................

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Funny that this comes up. I plan on doing some 3-gun stuff this year and am getting ready to gear up.

I'm in an odd position b/c I shoot my pistol left handed and the rifle right handed. My plan is to put the pistol in a hip holster with its spare on the right side. The rifle magazines will go in a drop leg carrier on the left below the pistol with the drop bag behind the pistol. Not sure how it will work out. Guess I'll find out.

In general I'd prefer to avoid looking too military with my gear. For the SHTF scenario I'd rather not attract any attention. Going mall ninja with gear (chest rigs, plate carriers, camo, etc) just screams - 'look at me! yo! overhere! I want you to shoot at me!' in my opinion. Where as a dusty scruffy looking bum hopefully will just blend in and if the wrong attention is brought it will be in for a nice surprise.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    Depends on how they plan on using that training I guess.

Train the way you're going to play (fight, whatever). Otherwise, the training can actually cause more problems than it fixes.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring to training classes like EAG/VTAC/TIger Swan etc. Wasn't referring to the zombie apocalypse. Was meant to be a question on gear preference for those that train with their rifles because they feel like it.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I'm ambidextrous, but the left side seems to like the pistol better. I'm able to shoot with both eyes open so no weird crossing up to get things in the right place for the sight picture. I can shoot the rifle left handed too, but I've just always done it on the right. Plus the M&P15 is no setup to be ambi so the controls are all wrong. I can add them and might, but for now...why bother? The SCAR is ambi and the FNP9 is too.

We'll see how it all works out.

Only probably right this minute w/ doing 3 gun is that I don't own a shotgun and I've only fired one once. :)

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    lol Would not one's time be better spent training on basics and self-defense scenarios that one might actully face, rather than on some Red Dawn fantasy?

I am not against preparing, but......................

No Red Dawn fantasies here. Just believe that every man should be a rifleman and proficient with many weapons. As far as the basics and self defense scenarios, I always make time for that.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm ambidextrous, but the left side seems to like the pistol better. I'm able to shoot with both eyes open so no weird crossing up to get things in the right place for the sight picture. I can shoot the rifle left handed too, but I've just always done it on the right. Plus the M&P15 is no setup to be ambi so the controls are all wrong. I can add them and might, but for now...why bother? The SCAR is ambi and the FNP9 is too.

We'll see how it all works out.

Only probably right this minute w/ doing 3 gun is that I don't own a shotgun and I've only fired one once. :)

I bet you clean up on weak side drills. lol

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    No Red Dawn fantasies here. Just believe that every man should be rifleman and proficient with many weapons. As far as the basics and self defense scenarios, I always make time for that.

well said!

and to TXI, i wish your mutual funds well.

;);)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    More and more, I'm starting to like the idea of a 1st line "war belt" for a rig. It's simple, you can set things up for similarity (load your carbine from the belt, just like your sidearm), and in the unlikely event of the excrement hitting the rotational device it's more easily concealed under a jacket.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I can tell you i would have loved to keep my gear when i got out of the Army the set-up was great. It was more comfortable that most that i had used and it was all right where you needed it.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    alice stuff is cool

you like it over molle?

i wonder if they're sisters?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've been running a warbelt over a chest rig recently, but I don't really use either much. It would depend on the gear I'm required to carry I suppose. The warbelt holds a few magazines, a dump pouch and a holster well, but if I'm doing something that requires more reloads then 2 or 3, the chest rig is the only way to go. I don't like swapping setups...but I also don't like throwing on 30 extra lbs. of ammo on my shoulders if I don't need it either.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    To support the rifle, I get more utility out of a shoulder slung go-bag that holds my rifle mags and trauma kit and functions as a dump pouch. I find that is lower profile and easier to grab and go. My CCW gear of holstered pistol, spare pistol mags, knife and flashlight are already on my belt so I don't need to gear that up.

Top Bottom