• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CutnShootTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    Hello everyone, this is my first post and would like to ask a question.

Several years ago I worked at a local gun store and one of my perks for working there was a CHL class for free. I have the certificate and completed forms, when it came time to put my money order in and mail it off to Austin I hesitated. Why should I have to pay to protect myself? I paid for my weapon(s) and ammo. Since I no longer work at the gun shop I have paid for gas to get to shooting range(s) and the countless number of boxes of ammo shot there too. I have paid taxes on the guns, ammo, and gas - I have paid my dues and then some.
    The other problem I have is, the funds for the permit go to the Texas Department of Public Safety. Now that does not seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. I have to pay a state agency whose sole purpose is public safety when I have elected to protect myself. Shouldn't it be the other way around that they pay the individual for carrying their own weapon, seriously, we are paying an entity and doing the jobs ourselves. When was the last time you changed your oil in your car and gave money to the grease monkey at Quikie Lube for being there?

My question is the Second Amendment states what it does, when and why did we feel like it was a victory to have the CHL created? I see a very strong relationship between a concealed handgun license and a poll tax. If someone could please shed some light as to why I should have to pay for something that is already mine, my right.

Dios Bendice Tejas, por favor.
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Oye. You pay so you will be in compliance with the law and not go to jail or prison. Is it really that hard a concept? The CHL laws were a victory because, prior to that, it was illegal to carry a handgun.

Your comparison to an oil change is just silly. Law Enforcement is there to protect society in general, not you specifically. And you fee, although made out to DPS, goes into the state general fund and relieves the cost of administering the program.

To answer your last question; you don't have to pay for something that is already yours. You can carry long guns all you want with no license.

But do whatever you want, just don't complain when you suffer the consequences.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    You may have notices that most, if not all, police agencies took the slogan off their cars "To serve and protect." The simple reason is they are not there to PROTECT YOU but the population in general. The police cannot act UNTIL a crime is committed. Or as the bumper sticker says, "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

You do not need to pay the DPS office for a CHL just to keep a weapon in the house. If you want to carry outside the house, however, then to be compliant with the laws of this great state of Texas, you must pay your dues.

CutnShootTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    I completely understand the purpose of the police, oppression. We now have school cops so the kids learn to become oppressed at an early age. If only Hitler had it so good.
    Now I will hear from those that say do not allow the few to tarnish the rest like:
    Montgomery County News

This has always caught my attention, "the officers discretion" in regards to whether or not a police officer will give you a citation, reduced citation, or warning (written or verbal - depending on the quota of the day). Meaning the officer has the sole authority to dismiss an infraction of the law.
    I personally have seen way too many of the "good 'ol boys club" to put faith in their union.

Police protect the population in general, these thieves were in and out in three minutes, it took officers eight minutes to respond.
    MCSO Press Release – Burglary – Shooters Station|Montgomery County Monitor
    How exactly did the population receive protection? Again, this is the issue of someone getting paid for doing nothing.

You can carry long guns all you want with no license. No you cannot, several city ordinances forbid displaying a rifle/shotgun rack in back windows of vehicles.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
    Now, here is a little English lesson that might serve some:

INFRINGE
    1.to commit a breach or infraction of; violate or transgress: to infringe a copyright; to infringe a rule.
    2.to encroach or trespass (usually fol. by on or upon): Don't infringe on his privacy.

transgress
    1.to violate a law, command, moral code, etc.; offend; sin.
    2.to pass over or go beyond (a limit, boundary, etc.): to transgress bounds of prudence.
    3.to go beyond the limits imposed by (a law, command, etc.); violate; infringe: to transgress the will of God.

The limit is WE have the RIGHT to bear arms. There is nothing stated as to length of arms that we can bear.

I understand that when I purchase a hunting license the money paid is a tax, it is not the first time someone has had to pay to hunt in the King's Forest.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I completely understand the purpose of the police, oppression. We now have school cops so the kids learn to become oppressed at an early age. If only Hitler had it so good.
    Now I will hear from those that say do not allow the few to tarnish the rest like:
    Montgomery County News

This has always caught my attention, "the officers discretion" in regards to whether or not a police officer will give you a citation, reduced citation, or warning (written or verbal - depending on the quota of the day). Meaning the officer has the sole authority to dismiss an infraction of the law.
    I personally have seen way too many of the "good 'ol boys club" to put faith in their union.

Police protect the population in general, these thieves were in and out in three minutes, it took officers eight minutes to respond.
    MCSO Press Release – Burglary – Shooters Station|Montgomery County Monitor
    How exactly did the population receive protection? Again, this is the issue of someone getting paid for doing nothing.

You can carry long guns all you want with no license. No you cannot, several city ordinances forbid displaying a rifle/shotgun rack in back windows of vehicles.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
    Now, here is a little English lesson that might serve some:

INFRINGE
    1.to commit a breach or infraction of; violate or transgress: to infringe a copyright; to infringe a rule.
    2.to encroach or trespass (usually fol. by on or upon): Don't infringe on his privacy.

transgress
    1.to violate a law, command, moral code, etc.; offend; sin.
    2.to pass over or go beyond (a limit, boundary, etc.): to transgress bounds of prudence.
    3.to go beyond the limits imposed by (a law, command, etc.); violate; infringe: to transgress the will of God.

The limit is WE have the RIGHT to bear arms. There is nothing stated as to length of arms that we can bear.

I understand that when I purchase a hunting license the money paid is a tax, it is not the first time someone has had to pay to hunt in the King's Forest.

tugger..jpg

Good Grief. You sound like a typical right wing extremist militia member.

If you so despise the police, I suggest you NEVER call them, regardless of what crime you may suffer.

Policehaters.net is down the hall>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Go play there, they will bitch and cry with you.

CutnShootTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    Good Grief. You sound like a typical right wing extremist militia member. No, absolutely not. Ruby Ridge and the Branch Davidians I am not.

If you so despise the police, I suggest you NEVER call them, regardless of what crime you may suffer. I never do. Something I learned a long time ago, "Never ask another man to shoot your dog" in short, don't ask someone else to take care of your problems.

Policehaters.net is down the hall>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Go play there, they will bitch and cry with you. I would not be able to bitch if there wasn't something to bitch about.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    In defense of the poster who was critical of police, Montgomery County has a bad reputation across the rest of the state. A few years ago, a Montgomery County deputy sheriff took a locomotive engineer to jail for not showing his driver's license after a car-train crash. The train was stopped on a grade crossing and the car hit the stopped train. Texas law specifically states that locomotive engineers involved in car-train wrecks only have to show their federal engineer card and forbids LEOs from requiring that they present a state driver's license. The deputy arrested the engineer anyway, with a DPS trooper on scene telling the deputy that it was an illegal arrest. The railroad's lawyers had lots of fun with that one, plus, with no engineer, the train could not be moved away from the grade crossing until the railroad sent out a new engineer from heaven knows where. This happened about 2005 or 2006. Also, a cop in Montgomery county flagged a train down and gave the engineer a ticket for exceeding the highway--not railroad--speed limit. It sounds to me like somebody just met some of the very few cops who are out of control and is bitter.

By the way, Montgomery Country has a reputation for justice based on whose brother-in-law you are.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In defense of the poster who was critical of police, Montgomery County has a bad reputation across the rest of the state. A few years ago, a Montgomery County deputy sheriff took a locomotive engineer to jail for not showing his driver's license after a car-train crash. The train was stopped on a grade crossing and the car hit the stopped train. Texas law specifically states that locomotive engineers involved in car-train wrecks only have to show their federal engineer card and forbids LEOs from requiring that they present a state driver's license. The deputy arrested the engineer anyway, with a DPS trooper on scene telling the deputy that it was an illegal arrest. The railroad's lawyers had lots of fun with that one, plus, with no engineer, the train could not be moved away from the grade crossing until the railroad sent out a new engineer from heaven knows where. This happened about 2005 or 2006. Also, a cop in Montgomery county flagged a train down and gave the engineer a ticket for exceeding the highway--not railroad--speed limit. It sounds to me like somebody just met some of the very few cops who are out of control and is bitter.

Do you have a new report or other source to confirm that? Or is it just a story told to you by someone who heard it from someone who heard it.........?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Cutnshoot....

There are any number of former and current LEO's on this board (yeah, me included) that will not only take exception to your stupid comments, but likely offer to confront you head-on every time you make them.
    Where you have specific, first-hand issues, you'll find these same folks will speak to those issues at hand, and not hesitate to speak out against abusive LEO's.
    By specific ruling of the US Supreme Court, the PD is NOT responsible for specific protection of any specific citizen(s).
    We now have school cops because stupid parents long ago ruled out corporal punishment in the schools, and as a result kids have found they can pretty much do whatever they want and the administrators/teachers can't do a thing to 'em - so now, rather than swats they get police records.
    Officers are allowed discretion because there may be mitigating circumstances or simply because the officer feels that the "message" has already been given and received. And sometimes, that officer you're so quick to jump and rant about realizes that the fine is going to put a huge financial strain on a family already on an economic abyss.
    The local ordnances restricting long guns have long been found to be unenforcable, as anyone who's bothered to STUDY the laws would know. So please....take your tin foil hat, your 'tude an' the 'puter......over there - don't care where, just over there.

And quickly.

Top Bottom