• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    Went to Austin this weekend with the wife for the UT football game. UT really sucked and got their butts kicked. While we were there I remembered reading somewhere that with a CHL you could bypass security at the Capital and mentioned this to my wife (an attorney) who did not believe me.

So off to the State Capital we went. Walking in the big door there was a metal detector set up and about 4 DPS officers. My wife had to go through the metal detector and have her bag searched. I just showed them my CHL, he swiped it into a computer and asked if I had my weapon on me. After replying yes, he asked a few questions about the type and caliber of weapon I was carrying and let me in with just a "Have a nice day."

I thought it was pretty cool.

Highside

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Round Rock
    cconn,

That -is- cool... Just out of curiosity, would that apply to non-Texas CHL holders (i.e. Florida, Utah and others with reciprocity)?

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    cconn,

That -is- cool... Just out of curiosity, would that apply to non-Texas CHL holders (i.e. Florida, Utah and others with reciprocity)?

Oooh interesting questions seeing as I know some people locally that have exploited loopholes to obtain Utah CHL's. Then again the number of people that visit the capital that live in the area and that actually take an interest in the history of Texas is probably rather low.

tx787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    I think it sends a very good message and I know Gov Perry was strongly supportive of allowing CHL holders to carry in the capitol.

martywj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burleson
    I will going to Legislative Day in January. The day that bikers from all over Texas go to Capitol to see their congressman.

Top Bottom