• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I am going to be deploying to Iraq for a military contract for a long period of time and my CHL expires while I am in Iraq.

Does that mean I have to go through the complete relicensing process when I get back or are there provisions in the law for this type of situation?

Thanks
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am going to be deploying to Iraq for a military contract for a long period of time and my CHL expires while I am in Iraq.

Does that mean I have to go through the complete relicensing process when I get back or are there provisions in the law for this type of situation?

Thanks

When does your CHL expire?

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Just to clarify, I am not in the military. I don't want anyone to think that I am saying I am in the military in any way. I am a computer geek who is doing what I can and getting paid very well to do it...

It expires in September of next year TXI. But I am looking at being gone for approximately 21 months from May.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Just to clarify, I am not in the military. I don't want anyone to think that I am saying I am in the military in any way. I am a computer geek who is doing what I can and getting paid very well to do it...

It expires in September of next year TXI. But I am looking at being gone for approximately 21 months from May.

So it expires Sept, of 11. I bet you can do this, but call DPS to be sure; Take a renewal class as close to your departure day as possible. Mail the renewal packet in. You should be able to get a renewed license good for 5 years. You will lose 18 months on your current license I imagine. I don't think DPS would renew you today, and extend your renewal to 5 years from Sept, '11. They would most likely renew you for 5 years from the date they issue the renewal license. You kinda get screwed out of money, but it is better than having to start over if your license expires more than a year.

However, if my math is correct, your license expires Sept of '11, and you return Feb of '12. When you return your license will be expired, but you are still within the window to renew. You just will not be able to carry in that scenario until you get your renewed license. The first scenario also protects you if you end up extending your deployment.

DPS CHL division is (800) 224-5744. I am interested in what DPS tells you.

Be safe over there.

Top Bottom