• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have been putting some more thought into getting my CHL, I have already got my security commission and now I think it might be time for a CHL. The question I have is, What is the process? I go and pay my $80 or so to take a chl class and then what? All I could find on the TXDPS web site was the fees ($140 for the application) and then I just send it in? Do I need to get my finger prints redone even tho the private security bureau (or whatever they are calling themselves this week) already has them on file for my commission? I just want to know what all needs to be done before I go and take a class that may not tell me everything I need to know.
    Thanks for any feed back.
    Hurley's Gold

bonehead1185

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos/Lake Dallas, Tx
    The process involves taking a 10 hour class with a written test and shooting test. After you pass both you get a form that says you passed to include with your packet. Depending on who teaches the class they may give you the packets and go over instructions on how to fill it out properly. My class provided the packet, fingerprints, and passport photo. I would suggest that route since it makes it easier on you.

After filling out the packet you just mail it in with the check for the state fee, $140, and begin the waiting process.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You're on target, class $$ and fee $$. Don't forget ammo $$ and postal $$ for sending your setuff. Alot $10 or $20 for when your fingerprints get rejected later.

I have $251 in my chl not counting fuel, postal and time.

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    The process involves taking a 10 hour class with a written test and shooting test. After you pass both you get a form that says you passed to include with your packet. Depending on who teaches the class they may give you the packets and go over instructions on how to fill it out properly. My class provided the packet, fingerprints, and passport photo. I would suggest that route since it makes it easier on you.

After filling out the packet you just mail it in with the check for the state fee, $140, and begin the waiting process.

I agree, take the class where they provide everything. you will need new fingerprints. my timeline below

05/30/2009 - CHL class
    06/01/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
    06/02/2009 - Paperwork Received
    06/08/2009 - Check Cashed
    07/10/2009 - PIN Received
    XX/XX/2009 - Application Approved
    XX/XX/2009 - Plastic in Hand

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ahh timeline, here's mine

2/15/09 - Class Date
    2/17/09 - Mailed App
    3/18/09 - PIN Assigned, Processing App
    4/09/09 - Fingerprint Redo, Processing App
    5/xx/09 - Processing App
    6/xx/09 - Processing App
    7/18/09 - Day 100 from Finger Print redo, Day 122 from PIN, Processing App
    ......still processing

bonehead1185

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos/Lake Dallas, Tx
    Wow I must have gotten lucky or my teacher was a pro at fingerprinting because mine were fine on the first try even with some scars on my finger tips.

P.S.- Here is my timeline:

8-10-08: CHL class taken
    8-15-08: Mailed application
    8-18-08: Received in Austin
    9-3-08: PIN received - Processing Application
    10-6-08: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active- 7 weeks after received!
    10-10-08: Plastic received!!!!!!!!! 2 months to the day after class!!!

Once again I was lucky because I made it through a lot faster than most people during that time period.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Wow I must have gotten lucky or my teacher was a pro at fingerprinting because mine were fine on the first try even with some scars on my finger tips.

10-6-08: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active- 7 weeks after received!

Once again I was lucky because I made it through a lot faster than most people during that time period.

I don't have the use of my left hand and those prints were very difficult to get clean. Even with the electronic dealy at the police station for redos there was one finger that would not get 100%

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller

It is important that who ever does your prints knows what they are doing. Screw them up and you can add months to your wait time. Their apparently is more to it than simply rolling your fingers around in an ink pad.

Also, when we took ours, I ordered the packets and prepaid over the internet. I think this gave us a leg up on turn around time once we mailed he completed packets in. I was the first of those in the course class to receive the plastic.

The instructor should give you advice on filling out the paperwork. As with most government agencies, the DPS CHL group will reject or delay processing if things are not done exactly they way they ask.

The entire process is pretty simple, but a bit of a PIA.

riverara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I took my class with Ross and Dottie Bransford in the Austin area. They have a guy that does the prints and he knows what hes doing. Im still waiting on my application (I just mailed it in June 16th, but I have no fear that it will be rejected due to prints.

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009

you got yours faster because you applied in 2008, the number of applications is much higher in 2009

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Ahh timeline, here's mine

2/15/09 - Class Date
    2/17/09 - Mailed App
    3/18/09 - PIN Assigned, Processing App
    4/09/09 - Fingerprint Redo, Processing App
    5/xx/09 - Processing App
    6/xx/09 - Processing App
    7/18/09 - Day 100 from Finger Print redo, Day 122 from PIN, Processing App
    ......still processing

did you post that just so I don't feel so bad???

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    $100 dollars for the class (included all the fingerprints and th range fee)
    $140 for the license itself.

Then there is the "hidden costs" of CHL.
    Cost of one handgun that you think you'll be able to carry
    Cost of a holster
    Cost of another new gun cause you need something that is either larger or small
    Cost of another holster.
    Cost of ammo
    Cost of another holster, with a few new sets of clothing
    Cost of belt
    cost of spancy ammo for CC out of short barrels
    Cost of another holster, that you actually spend some real money on.
    cost of old ammo, cause that new stuff was junk.

this goes on for a while.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I have been putting some more thought into getting my CHL, I have already got my security commission and now I think it might be time for a CHL. The question I have is, What is the process? I go and pay my $80 or so to take a chl class and then what? All I could find on the TXDPS web site was the fees ($140 for the application) and then I just send it in? Do I need to get my finger prints redone even tho the private security bureau (or whatever they are calling themselves this week) already has them on file for my commission? I just want to know what all needs to be done before I go and take a class that may not tell me everything I need to know.
    Thanks for any feed back.

You're getting a lot of $$ for this and $$$ for that and times and who does what when what you need to do is just find a CHL class near you that provides everything you need including pictures, fingerprints etc. That's it. Don't even bother with the application on line unless you want to take a class that only does the class and nothing more. It's worth the $$ and hassle to just pay the $100-$130 for a good class that does it all for you.

Yes, you need new finger prints, 2 sets.

Show up, don't fail, pay up, and walk out with your packet ready to mail. ;)

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Thanks for all the info. Sorry about your wait times. And JK that is what I was thinking for the most part. I was mainly just worried about the fingerprints and what the paper work is like, but this is all very helpful. I hope to be a card carrying member by the end of the year. (or so)

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    $100 dollars for the class (included all the fingerprints and th range fee)
    $140 for the license itself.

Then there is the "hidden costs" of CHL.
    Cost of one handgun that you think you'll be able to carry
    Cost of a holster
    Cost of another new gun cause you need something that is either larger or small
    Cost of another holster.
    Cost of ammo
    Cost of another holster, with a few new sets of clothing
    Cost of belt
    cost of spancy ammo for CC out of short barrels
    Cost of another holster, that you actually spend some real money on.
    cost of old ammo, cause that new stuff was junk.

this goes on for a while.
    O I have the guns down, holster selection is going to be a hidden fee tho. I figure your right, I did see a little sub compact 40 the other day......

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    The class I took in San Antonio told us that if we had any problems with fingerprints to come back to them and they would re-do them at no cost. This is something you may want to inquire about.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The class I took in San Antonio told us that if we had any problems with fingerprints to come back to them and they would re-do them at no cost. This is something you may want to inquire about.

I think a lot of the places offer that, but the idea is to get them right the first time. ANYTHING that causes the DPS to have to hold up prosessing and obtain additional information or corrected prints will put delays on completion far beyond the time it takes to actually get the new prints or information back to them.

mhall8811

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Spring
    I've been thinking about getting mine (yes, I've waited way too long). I guess I just need to go do it. Any suggestions about the best place to take the class in the Houston area?
    You would think, in today's landscape of modern technology, that once your prints were on file, that would be enough. I'm an explosive tech. and I swear I've been fingerprinted by the Federal Govt, State(s) Govt, Local Govt. at least 100 times over the last 14 years in this business. No, that is not an exaggeration... in fact, it's probably a low estimate.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    No kidding right?

DH and I were talking about that (multiple BG checks). We don't understand why that is such the difficult step considering the systems in place already. Many folks are military or federal, so they're already "in the system" somewhere. Many are concurrently licensed in other states.

With these Federal BG checks already done by other agencies, why is it so very difficult for TX to do them? And if it isn't the federal check, WHAT. IS. THE. HOLDUP? If I hear "waiting on so ands so county background check" again I'm going to puke.

FIX IT, TEXAS!

Problem:
    Is there one poor soul at the county level doing bg checks?

Answer:
    Hire more people

Problem:
    Is there one soul suppose to be doing BG checks but that person is "on vacation" or "out"?

Answer:
    Hire more people

I know I know, there's all this blah blah blah why we can't 'just hire more people', right? There's always an excuse

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    did you post that just so I don't feel so bad???

lol no no. I'm just complaining about it. I'm going to p*** and moan any chance I get because I think the CHL Process is screwed up and no one in charge seems to care enough to revamp "the program" to get it on track.

My formal education is based on program management. So it severely irks me when people in charge of their own programs do not evaluate the progress. It's a disservice. They're basically driving a truck for years and years without ever checking, adding or changing the oil. How long will that last?

Top Bottom