• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Texas
    There are statistics that show how many new CHL's there are. Are there any statistics that show how many have not be renewed. I got to wondering about that when a friend didn't renew his. Saying he was more worried about a law suit or being arrested should he use his weapon. So I got to thinking....how many more are like him? Anybody have any stats on that?
    Venture Surplus ad

hogrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Texas
    What can I say. I tried goating him by pointing out my wife renewed hers but that didn't stop him. You would have thought that would get to a man but it didn't. That's what got me wondering. How many are not being renewed?

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    There are statistics that show how many new CHL's there are. Are there any statistics that show how many have not be renewed. I got to wondering about that when a friend didn't renew his. Saying he was more worried about a law suit or being arrested should he use his weapon. So I got to thinking....how many more are like him? Anybody have any stats on that?

I have some retired friends who did the same thing. The reason she and he did it was the cost to renew. He just had a lot of back sugery expenses so they have to watch their spending. It's been over a year ago. Their also disappointed in Debra Riddle because they were expecting Texas to have Open Carry in the 81st but didnt.
    To their advantage, the small town they live in doesnt worry about unlawful carry as long as a person isnt actually " Breaking the Laws by Committing Crimes"...

hogrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Texas
    That's my point Redneck. There are a lot of reasons why someone would not renew. I would think there should be some statistics on that and wondering what it looked like. Is that number growing or declining.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I think the fear of being sued has been ingrained into anyone watching the news. I'm betting there are more success stories out there of CHLers who have prevented becoming a victim, than those being sued. We really only hear about the ones being sued because it fits an agenda.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

You could remind your friend that if his use of deadly force is found to be justified he will have civil immunity.

CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE

TITLE 4. LIABILITY IN TORT

CHAPTER 83. USE OF DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON

Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    That is nice to know. I didnt know that and kinda wondering if it would apply to someone who doesnt have a CHL. Would they get civil immunity as well?

Yes, the civil immunity clause has nothing to do with a CHL. It is in response to a justifiable use of deadly force.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There are many legitimate reasons for a person not to renew their CHL, but fear of a lawsuit is not one of them...

Does he no longer drive a car for fear of causing an accident?

He'd do better to overcome the fear by training more with his firearm, so if the need every arose where he had to use it, he would be confident that he could do so as safely as possible.

There will always be some risk involved, but there will be an even greater one if he's unarmed in a dangerous situation!

Cheers! M2

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I think there are a LOT of people that don't renew. In 2010 I taught 20 classes, out of all those students, only 2-3 were renewals sitting in. I had maybe 3 more call for renewal info. and never heard from them again. I also had 3-4 that had let their CHL expire and finally got back to starting over. I would be willing to bet that the amount of non renewals is high.

hogrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Texas
    Bithabus said:
    CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE

TITLE 4. LIABILITY IN TORT

CHAPTER 83. USE OF DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON

Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

That is different than Good Samaritan correct? I always wondered why we did not get protection that way.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Yes, the civil immunity clause has nothing to do with a CHL. It is in response to a justifiable use of deadly force.

Thats a good part of the Law's. I for one would only use deadly force if I have no other option. Thats one of the issues I have with the whole CHL thing. I put more thought into " NOT" shooting someone rather than " When and why" I can shoot someone.
    If I ever do have to pull the trigger on some SOB, you can rest assure, They deserved it.

Note; I would also like to add, I think women should just shoot any dirtbag that messes with them. So I guess you can say I have mixed emotions about deadly force.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That is different than Good Samaritan correct? I always wondered why we did not get protection that way.

Yes. The good samaritan law generally refers to protection from civil liability if you injur a person while helping them in a medical situation, such as a traffic accident. For example, it is easy to break ribs when performing CPR.

83.001 of the CPRC is for your intentional use of deadly force against another when not helping that person.

Please note that section does not prevent you from being sued. Notice it begins with the words "a defendant". A defendant is one who has been sued. Notice it puts no requirement on the civil court to consider the findings of other courts. The civil court could rule you were NOT justified even if you were no-billed by a grand jury, or acquitted by a trial jury.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet

Larry,

Is your friend unable (due to some physical issue) to get to the range, and stay proficient? If so, I can see not renewing.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I no for a fact it was the chance of a Civil suit that made my friend not renew his CHL.

This is why I think some CHL instructors overdo the "even a good shoot will cost all your savings" routine. If your friend is justified he would have protections. As TI said the civil court will determine independently whether the suit is justified, but they face the same standard as the criminal court and you can present your no bill.

I don't worry at all about getting sued. Maybe I should. But, even if I were sued and lost all my money that would be better than a box.

Top Bottom