• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    If that's his reason for not renewing, he was never serious about taking responsibility for his and his family's protection. I believe most people who get their CHLs are not serious. If they were, they would seek out additional training and they'd CARRY THEIR FREAKIN' HANDGUN! Most don't.... ever! We have short attention spans. People get their CHL because of a news story or because it's cool, but after a few months of having to carry, conceal and be responsible for that weapon, they fall back into their original sense of "it won't happen to me" and they stop carrying. If they don't carry, why renew?
    DK Firearms

tacoma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Houston
    I just took my CHL classes yesterday and sent my stuff off this morning. Even the streets in downtown Houston make me nervous these days. I had a kid and all of a sudden I am in alert mode everywhere I go. The lawsuit thing was harped on pretty good, which did kind of scare some people in the class. The responsible thing to do is just read the Texas penal code about using deadly force, it is pretty clear on when you can use deadly force.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Texas gives citizens 60 and over a break on renewal. Renewal for old farts like me are just $35 and I just read that renewals don't require finger prints, now. I renewed in June 2010 and had to get printed. I gladly pay the cost of the renewal class as insurance to make sure I stay within the law. I think folks fail to renew because they haven't had a recent scare that may have motivated them to get a CHL in the first place. Every painful step I take reminds me that I can't run away from danger. (Hell, I couldn't outrun an 80 year old hooker!) I sure can't stand and fight like I used to so I'm very motivated to keep my CHL current.

Flash

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Texas gives citizens 60 and over a break on renewal. Renewal for old farts like me are just $35 and I just read that renewals don't require finger prints, now. I renewed in June 2010 and had to get printed. I gladly pay the cost of the renewal class as insurance to make sure I stay within the law. I think folks fail to renew because they haven't had a recent scare that may have motivated them to get a CHL in the first place. Every painful step I take reminds me that I can't run away from danger. (Hell, I couldn't outrun an 80 year old hooker!) I sure can't stand and fight like I used to so I'm very motivated to keep my CHL current.

Flash

The requirement for prints and photos on renewals was lifted on May 2, 2010.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    I dropped my Texas and just stuck with the Florida. It's cheaper, easier, and just as good. A lawsuit has never entered my mind. My outlook is more of "assume I'll spend the rest of my life in prison if I shoot this person, if I still want to shoot him, it's unavoidable and necessary". Not that I reasonably think I would incur incarceration, but just to draw appropriate contrast to the situation.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The civil lawsuit issue is overplayed a bit. The risk is definitely there, and the "civil immunity" code doesn't mean what many people think it means. I think we can all agree that prison or exorbitant legal fees beats "dead" any day. Much more care must be taken when considering using deadly force to protect property. Knowing what pulling the trigger could cost us, we have to decide what is worth shooting over.

Top Bottom