• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Try taking a very deep breath IN immediately before swallowing anything.

Breathing in WHILE SWALLOWING is dangerous.

I’ve seen people die from choking on many simple things.

Way back when I was a Family Doc, I put big photos on waiting room walls of autopsy findings from dead children who had choked to death on toy balloons.

People don’t realize the great danger of balloons. Small kids tend to bite them; they explode and fragments can be aspirated, covering the airway, but too far down to be removed w/o instruments, so they die.

leVieux

<>
    Military Camp

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    I had a piece of my esophagus replaced with large intestine at the ripe old age of 17, been dealing with choking every since and I'm 43 now, it's such a helpless feeling. The last time I got choked twas in the middle of the night while snacking earlier this summer...scared me bad enough that I walked to my room and put on a pair of shorts so I wouldn't be found naked if I died. My girls are 8 and 10 and they know to call 911 and then go next door if the situation arises while they're in my care...I can't have them watch me go out like that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Thanks for all of the responses. I've learned a lot the past few days about choking and hope you all have also. Things we do every day of our lives can be deadly in an instant. I was simply swallowing the same capsule I do twice a day for years but this particular time it went down the wrong way. Maybe more water or thick smoothie with it as you have suggested would have prevented my issue. It ended up in my windpipe and stopped my breathing and began releasing its contents into my lungs causing all sorts of immediate reactions. In those moments you can't call 911 because you can't speak. And know you only have a few minutes to live. My son told me tonight he choked on a big antibiotic pill then he literally fell on the end of an arm on his recliner to dislodge it but also knocked the wind out of him. But it saved his life.

Be sure to have your friends and family know how to do some maneuvers like Heimlich or stomach thrusts. The internet is full of videos. Study it and at least go thru the motions with them. They will naturally panic if it ever happens but at least will know the methods. And if they say ahead of time they don't want to "hurt you", tell them to hurt you and save your life.

My longtime friend Richard was having lunch recently with someone and the someone suddenly grasped his own throat and ran out of the restaurant. Richard chased after him not knowing what was going on. The server thinking they were trying to jump the check then ran after them yelling. Richard caught up with they guy who was bending over and he began pounding on his upper back until a piece of chicken fried steak came out. The server was breathless chasing them. All went back inside and the manager comped their meal. Like I'd be in mood to eat after all that....

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    Since my time in the Hospital for my T.B.I., I've had issues with swallowing some foods and some medications. Even just eating spaghetti, or cereal can cause issues. Just the smallest morsel of food can sometimes get caught and cause the feeling of choking, or a coughing fit. E.N.T. Docs. say there isn't a problem but, it's a chronic issue I need to be continually cognizant of. I've no doubt it was caused by the respirator in the E.R./I.C.U., or breathing tubes put in by the E.M.T. Just part of the big picture now, so it's no big deal.
    I had a UP3 for sleep apnea back in 1999, now things like ground meat and rice want to go up my sinus from the back side, fells weird.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    Probably replaced by 30.0x signs.

Showing how we have progressed as a society. From how to save others in peril to do not protect yourself and others in peril.
    Nobody will help other people because they are afraid of getting sued by every tom dick and harry looking for money.

When I got my CHL, our instructor told us, if you wound the bad guy, even if you shoot him in your house, he can sue you, so, make sure he is not just wounded.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    After my episode and reading stuff here, this weekend I bought many small single serve containers of applesauce. Tried a teaspoon with each pill this morning and is perfect. Just stuff the pill down into the sauce and swallow, followed by a swig of water. Applesauce has an element of being oily so helps it all slide down much easier. .

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    A few days ago my wife, who has had throat cancer and has difficulty swallowing anything, was unable to get a gel capsule down. It was stuck somewhere while she coughed and gagged for a long time. It just happened that a neighbor who has bad copd texted me, I told him about it, he said he has the same problem and when he does, he takes a little bit of either pickle juice or hot pepper juice. I gave her a little pickle juice and it almost immediately dissolved and went down. Vinegar? She was able to swallow after that, but had a sore throat for a couple of days and won't take the gel capsule again. It was only Vitamin E, which she needs, but not at the price she had to pay. Now I'm ready to run for the pickle jar any time she starts to choke.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    glenbo,

"It was only Vitamin E, which she needs, but not at the price she had to pay."

Consider carefully pulling the capsule apart and dump the contents into something like V8 juice and drink it down.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    glenbo,

"It was only Vitamin E, which she needs, but not at the price she had to pay."

Consider carefully pulling the capsule apart and dump the contents into something like V8 juice and drink it down.
    I will try that in her morning orange juice. Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Choking involves the AIRWAY. More air in LUNGS will protect best. Air/gas in ‘’gut’’, even if forced-out, may actually bypass the obstruction.

Your GI Doc or ENT Doc can advise & teach you.

Good Luck !
    Doc, thanks for that info, is easy to see the picture now., So a Heimlich maneuver may/wouldn't work if the object is in the windpipe/lung? If the object is stuck on the thing that goes up and down in our upper esophagus as we swallow, any air/gas in gut can expel it. That seems to be the most activity when someone choking on food and saved by Heimlich.

This capsule is representative, same bottle of the one that got stuck and stopped my breathing, then began releasing this yellow powder into my lungs. Hell I suddenly couldn't breathe and lungs burning from the acidity of the powder. Just imagine that crap in your lungs. I coughed it up 5-6 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_5109.JPEG
      IMG_5109.JPEG
      272.9 KB · Views: 17
    Top Bottom