Join TexasGunTalk

Choosing Parts For My AR-15 M1 Build

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by HEJL STORM, Apr 1, 2014.

1. HEJL STORM

HEJL STORM New Member

Mar 17, 2014
    College Station, TX
    Hello everyone, I have just started my project build for my AR. I would like to build a complete XM16e style rifle with most parts being GI. To start with, all that I own is a PSA (Palmetto State Armory) Lower receiver in fine condition. Picked it up for $50 back a few months ago. I know most of you on here have built your own ARs and have seen way too many M1 builds, but one more wouldn't hurt. I believe i should start with my upper, bolt assembly and barrel next. These parts do not necessarily have to be GI. What do you think?

2. NOLA Jack

NOLA Jack Active Member

Feb 19, 2014
    By GI do you mean mil spec?

3. kabob

kabob Well-Known

May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Why aren't you starting with a Colt lower?

4. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    An aluminum PSA lower transformed into a .30-06 steel and walnut battle rifle? Post pics when done, I wanna see this.

If what you meant is building a retro XM16 or M16 clone the best place to start is with a demilled M16 parts kit and a Nodak Spud receiver. They make XM, M16, M16A1, and other styles of receivers from times past. You'll still have to hunt down some parts to recreate an authentic clone of whatever era rifle you want to build, you'll possibly need a certain type of upper receiver, flash hider, forward assist, pistol grip, stock, etc...

The modern AR receivers look nothing like vintage ones. New ones have thicker reinforced areas, caged in mag release buttons, shell deflector and whatnot.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  5. Saltyag2010

Saltyag2010 TGT Addict

Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Didn't the originals lack a forward assist, m4 feedramps, and came with what would be considered a pencil barrel in 20in with a rifle gas system and non removable handguards?
    correct me if I'm wrong.

6. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    http://www.retroblackrifle.com/

Tons of info on vintage AR-15, XM, M16 models at that link. With pics showing what parts you need to build a convincing repro.

7. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I would cosign on that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

8. BIGPAPIGREG

BIGPAPIGREG TGT Addict

Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    yup....I believe that is correct

9. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Interesting site.

I had an early model, but I cannot figure out from the data which model as mine did not fit exactly the M602 or the M 603/XM16E1:

I had the open flash hider which would make it a M 603: If I opened 1 I open a thousand cases of C Rats using the duckbill/open flash hider...insert into C Rat case wire wrapping, twist hard and snap the wire x 2

My BCG was black: On this point I am positive, we were overun and my weapon jammed in the BCG/upper, next day I contacted my unit and they sent out a CHROME BCG and said that would solve the problem, well it did

I am sure I had the bolt assist and not slick side: (on this point it may be possible that memory fails me???)

10. Sapper740

Sapper740 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Jan 21, 2013
    I recently built an M16E1 for Vietnam War reenacting. Sportsman's guide has M16A1 parts kits: Used U.S. Military Colt M16a1 Parts Kit - 1143546, Tactical Rifle Accessories at Sportsman's Guide and NoDak Spud has the correct lowers. Read the description of the M16E1 here: http://www.retroblackrifle.com/ There are a few niggling details that will ensure a correct rifle such as a partially gated mag release, a flat slip ring, no finger grooves on the pistol grip and an oval shaped forward assist button. Post some pics of your rifle when complete, here's a pic of mine: CIMG2052.jpg