• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I didn't really see in the article the exact text, but it seems to be larger than just a firearms sales code of conduct - getting into all kinds of other US-Mexican issues related to the drug war.

I think that a lot of dealers do have a code of conduct. Many dealers were calling into the ATF when they suspected issues of sales. Oh, I am getting back to Fast and Furious....

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Here is the article
    Prompted by victims of violence in Mexico, the City Council on Tuesday approved -- not without debate -- a resolution calling for the endorsement of a voluntary code of conduct for firearm sales.
    The resolution, which also called for a discussion on the country's drug policies and prioritizing human rights in U.S.-Mexico collaborations, was a gesture of solidarity with the Caravan for Peace with Justice and Dignity. The group of about 110
    Gun control
    Should the U.S. implement stricter gun control laws to help stop guns going to Mexico? Read story
    Total Votes = 791
    Yes, we should help Mexico by making it more difficult to buy guns.
    polls_results.gif
    17.44 %
    We should have stricter laws, but mainly for safety in the U.S.
    polls_results.gif
    25.91 %
    No, gun laws should remain as they are now.
    polls_results.gif
    55.62 %
    I'm not sure.
    polls_results.gif
    1.011 %

people is traveling through the U.S. to create awareness about the U.S. link to drug violence in Mexico among policymakers and the public. The leader of the caravan is Mexican poet Javier Sicilia, whose son Juan Francisco Sicilia, 24, was killed by gunmen last year. On Tuesday, Sicilia and the group spoke to the City Council before demonstrating at the El Paso offices of federal agencies and visiting the University of Texas at El Paso.
    Sicilia told council members about the pain and suffering caused by Mexican President Felipe Calderón's push against criminal organizations in the country, which has led to the deaths and disappearances of tens of thousands.
    Sicilia underscored the role of weapons flowing from the U.S. in

Advertisement
    b

spurring violence in Mexico. U.S. aid policies had contributed to militarizing the country, he said, and U.S. authorities have been unable to keep criminal organizations from buying high-caliber weapons here. "It only benefits the lords of death, the lords of pain, the lords of war and the lords of violence," he said. "We believe that the United States has a responsibility that hasn't been assumed by the government and the people of this country." Ê
    Victims also spoke to reporters of the losses they've endured.
    Juan Carlos Trujillo, from the southwestern state of Michoacán, said two of his brothers went missing while traveling through a town where a drug lord was sweeping for unfamiliar people. Two other brothers disappeared two years later in an incident that the family can't determine was related..
    To disappear is a worse fate than dying, Trujillo said, because the uncertainty is devastating.
    "I'm talking to you and I don't know if my brother is eating or not, if he's alive or not," Trujillo said. "As brothers, we made a pact that when we feel we're in danger, we either throw ourselves off a cliff or crash against (our attackers) so our mother will know where we ended."
    Sicilia's speech to the City Council was followed by the vote on the resolution, which was adopted by the council members, except for city Rep. Cortney Niland, who abstained from voting.
    It was adopted only after some modifications to the resolution's wording.
    City Rep. Dr. Michiel Noe said he sympathized with the caravan but criticized one point in the proposed code of conduct for firearm sales, which called for retailers to refuse sales when background checks don't return within three days.
    Noe said people cannot be denied the purchase of a weapon "without a reason or without someone accusing them."
    Noe also said the original resolution's call to "spur discussion about current drug policy and alternatives to it" indirectly referred to a discussion on the legalization of drugs, which he refused to engage in.
    Noe asked that the resolution's wording emphasize that the code of conduct is voluntary and omit the part alluding to the discussion of drug policy alternatives.
    Two El Paso residents who spoke to the City Council said they were against the resolution. One of the critics, Salvador Gomez, said he supported the caravan but thought its efforts should be focused in Mexico.
    "I'm tired of hearing people come and criticize my country," he said. "The place to make an impact is on Juárez, not on this side of the border."
    Caravan members responded by standing up and turning their backs to the speakers.
    After appearing in the City Council meeting, the caravan held a demonstration outside the offices of federal agencies in the city and later visited UTEP, where Sicilia spoke about the effects of violence in fueling immigration into the U.S. In the evening, the caravan led a march from San Jacinto Plaza toward the immigrant support center Annunciation House, where they held a vigil for the victims of violence.Ê
    Sicilia called for people in the U.S. to be compassionate toward Mexican victims displaced by violence, for the legalization of drugs and to demand U.S. aid money for Mexico be used to restore the country's social fabric, cleanse corrupt institutions and limit the southbound traffic of weapons.
    Sicilia's caravan will leave El Paso today and will stop in Laredo, Austin, San Antonio, Atlanta, Chicago and New York before reaching Washington, D.C.
    The group's monthlong trip will take them through 28 cities. It began in San Diego on Aug. 12 and passed through Los Angeles, Phoenix and Las Cruces, among other cities, before making it to El Paso.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    So some people come in throw a temper tantrum act like fools ad politicians capitulate to them? By endorsing a voluntary code of conduct? What's the story?

Although it sounds like they interviewed the right person... I love the I'm tired of people blaming my country for their problems....

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    And somehow we owe them foreign aid because their country is all fubar? How about they take responibility for their own problems. I am a sympathetic individual until people start blaming others for their problems.

Dzscubie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    El Paso, Texas
    This is normal El Paso politics. The city council is more worried aboutoffending anyone from Mexico than supporting or standing up for our owncitizens. Sometimes I wonder whatcountry they are loyal to Mexico or the United States. Yes,some guns go south into Mexico but hell they have been doing that for over ahundred years so what has changed? Mexico has some of the most strict gun control laws in the world and ithas done nothing but caused more death and destruction because now the law abidingcitizen has NO defense against those who would do them harm. It’s insanity!

Scubie

Top Bottom