• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How many posts should be required to post a classified ad?

Votes: 2 4.9%

Votes: 7 17.1%

Votes: 13 31.7%

Votes: 14 34.1%
    • 50, or more.

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Currently I have it set to 5, but how many posts do you guys think we should ask for before we allow posting in the classifieds? Just vote in the poll above, or post a comment.

The upside to asking for more posts is that people feel compelled to in someway be a part of the community. HKPro requires something on the order of 35 posts, or did, and that was sufficient for me to go around, read up on stuff, and get a feel for the forum. It also would cut down on the number of drive-by posters that just want to sell their stuff and move on.

The downside is that the classifieds are probably one of the best sections on the forum. Selling guns can be difficult if you can't locate avenues, for those of us in remote sections of Texas, the ads give thousands of people the chance to buy stuff. Lower post requirements also will yield more classifieds, and more classifieds helps drive traffic to the forum, on top of giving us regulars more deals to sift through.
    Lynx Defense

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'm gonna withhold my vote for a bit to read more thoughts on this. My initial inclination is to say "the more the merrier" - but by the same token, I prefer to "know" who I'm dealing with, so would also be inclined to wanna see at least 15-20 "REAL" posts before doin' business with someone.....

Termitehunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    San Antonio
    Personally even though I'm new to posting I became a member in 09 because I knew I was moving here. It just took a bit longer than anticipated and I'm still dragging my crap 1000 miles to accomplish this. On the forums in AZ that I belong to they rated on contributions rather than post count. A person just couldn't give a "Thumbs up" generic response and expect to reap those kind of benefits.
    Probably requires more work from the mods, but it seemed like a reasonable way to weed out the "grabbers".

What ever the rules are I'm willing to play because this is the pastime I Love and plan on being in Texas for a very, very long time.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    I vote 0 because if you require a small number of posts then people will post some random shit just to get their post count up.

Also, is it really that awful if someone joins just to sell stuff?

I would say you should either set it to 0 or 50 or more. If you only want to make this a service open to known forum members then set it at 50, otherwise just remove the requirement.

Who knows, maybe people would join just sell stuff and then realize this is a cool place to hang out.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    It doesn't matter the number you set.

There will always be folks post-whoring their way to it.

Alternatively, you could do a "must be a member for X time AND have X posts", and that'd stop the post-whores from running up their totals in minutes. . .

A few forums charge a small fee to use the classifieds to weed out the spammers and fly-by sellers.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Or....what about a "sliding scale" tied into both length of membership AND posts? As noted, not everyone here is gabby (unlike SOME) - so a quiet member that's been around a year or two might get "credit" for time? Just thinkin' out loud - have a feeling that'd be a huge PITA to administer.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had to go with 25. It is pretty easy to get 25 posts, but at the same time, it isn't a gimme. And how about they have to send Alan a live chicken? That would make it way more interesting.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    And how about they have to send Alan a live chicken? That would make it way more interesting.

Why a live one? Dead ones have rights, too! Where's the defenders of the Dead Chicken League on this?!?!!?

Besides, nuthin' says "thinkin' of you" like a week-dead chicken shipped in a well-sealed pouch......

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Or....what about a "sliding scale" tied into both length of membership AND posts? As noted, not everyone here is gabby (unlike SOME) - so a quiet member that's been around a year or two might get "credit" for time? Just thinkin' out loud - have a feeling that'd be a huge PITA to administer.

I could have it auto-promote members that have been here for a month. So you could lurk for a month, or make a few posts?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A few forums charge a small fee to use the classifieds to weed out the spammers and fly-by sellers.

Yeah, HKPro charges $5 to list something that's not an HK. While I think that'd go over well, it seems like alot of hassle for people just to list something that may or may not sell. Plus, I kinda see the classifieds here as an online Texas gun show, and anything that I can rub into the Brady Campaign's eye is fun for me. I don't really see a need to charge money, but if it gets to be a big hassle down the road, I'll make it a dollar or something.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've made two hits on man sized targets at 750 yards inside of 4 seconds with a bolt action. Mail me a skunk, LOL.

Go ahead....bring a slow-ass bolt action ta a semi-fight..... anim_kill.jpg

View attachment 6565

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I would say 50 or more. Like some have said, it would be good to look at a persons post to see who your dealing with.
    I wouldnt want to buy a gun off a website from someone making a first time post. The more you know about them, the less TGT classified adds will become like Ebay! I hate Ebay!

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I'm gonna withhold my vote for a bit to read more thoughts on this. My initial inclination is to say "the more the merrier" - but by the same token, I prefer to "know" who I'm dealing with, so would also be inclined to wanna see at least 15-20 "REAL" posts before doin' business with someone.....

I'm on the same page as TRN. I want to see some meaningful post before doing business but even at that....I would need to talk to the person on the phone to get a better feel for who I'm dealing with. With that said I try to keep deals FTF if all possible and I'm totally upfront that if the meet doesn't give me that warm & fuzzy feeling.....the deal will be called off.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    You guys keep in mind that a veteran post-whore can generate 180 posts an hour on a board with a 30-second-between-posts delay (I've seen this done, and the posts are nothing but "I agree" and "Good post!" and "Hi!")

Top Bottom