• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • suhsjake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    I was working on my 08 Tacoma today (new air filter and cleaned the MAF) and the whole engine compartment was extremely dirty. I know when we are at drill and clean our HMMWVs, we use a steam system to clean the engine compartment, but I cannot get access to it (No POV area) and I don't think there are any steam systems in San Antonio DIY car washes.

Any tips or ideas on how to properly clean the engine compartment without screwing anything up?
    Texas SOT

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    This works for me:

Open hood, and with an air compressor, blow away all loose dirt and debris.

Find an empty 1 quart spray bottle. Add 1/2 quart dish washing liquid, 1/2 quart filtered/distilled water.

Get engine up to operating temperature. Turn off engine.

Spray engine compartment with the dish washing solution.

Let sit about 30 minutes.

Rinse with low pressure water hose while engine is running.

Repeat until you achieve the cleanliness you seek.

Avoid splashing water into air intake, ignition components, and fuse box.

Shut off engine and wipe everything down with dry shop cloths.

Apply Armor-All (or equivalent cleaner/protectant to all plastic and rubber surfaces.

Learned this from my Motor Sergeant. He refused to let us use "steam" or apply any high-pressure water in an engine compartment.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Similar to above, but I use Simple Green.

Avoid using any kind of water pressure to rinse. Just let the water run over the areas to be cleaned.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just hit it with a garden hose. Works fine. If there's any oil, warm the engine up a little bit first.

Do not use a pressure washer!! You can get away with that crap on something that doesn't need any electronics to run (like a humvee), but a regular car is probably not going to start unless you know exactly what you're doing.

suhsjake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the tips gents. I don't have to worry about the air intake (it draws air from the fender well, Toyota is pretty damn smart about that). I just want to get it clean and degreased, so when I go to work on it next, it isn't that much of a mess. Now if women would stop running into me, that be even better.

AndrewGS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Spring
    I just douse the entire compartment with straight up Simple Green (not the automotive grade stuff, regular Simple Green) and hose it off at the local quarters car wash. Then you can dry off the visible areas with regular towels. Try to do it with the engine temp as low as possible. I've never had an issue on any of the 15 or so vehicles I've done this to.

Top Bottom