• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Whatever, Dr Jones. The fact remains that leather only fails like you've described if it's constantly abused and treated like crap. All the stuff that you've described has to be on a daily basis for any of your arguments to be valid. Otherwise, the worst you wind up with is a slightly scuffed-up holster. But whatever, Adventureman.
    The stuff I like the most is stuff I can treat like crap...

Around my place, leather left for a couple months, even in closed containers, invariably molds... I've never had a kydex or polymer holster mold or crush.

Leather holsters are prettier...
    Military Camp

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Around my place, leather left for a couple months, even in closed containers, invariably molds... I've never had a kydex or polymer holster mold or crush.

Damn. What are you putting that leather through? I've never had anything leather develop mold. Even my great-grandfather's knives I inherited from my grandfather have leather sheaths in pretty decent shape.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

That's because you are indiana jones, or a navy seal swamp monster.

Or something.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That may be true, but leather has been around a very, very long time, it's flaws are well known, and it's why you don't see it used as much (if at all) on duty belts….
    I’ll argue that many agencies require Level III-type retention holsters and it’s tough to get those features in a solely leather product at a price point that’s competitive with kydex.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’ll argue that many agencies require Level III-type retention holsters and it’s tough to get those features in a solely leather product at a price point that’s competitive with kydex.
    Thumb breaks are level 3. Lots of leather thumb break holsters out there

Eta, i can't recall the last time I've seen a cop using a leather holster, it's always Safariland, or the rare serpa. And a few kydex ones.

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    FOR ME, this set-up works for gym shorts carry. I can clip it to my drawstring waistband or if I am wearing sturdier pants I can tuck the clip inside the holster for ultra-light pocket carry. In both cases the trigger is protected. Between the "grip" of the holster, tightness of drawstring, and clip tension I have no problem with it moving or falling out. LCP draws clear of holster just like it would out of a pocket. My two cents.
    lcpclip.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Eta, i can't recall the last time I've seen a cop using a leather holster, it's always Safariland, or the rare serpa. And a few kydex ones.

It’s been a long while since I’ve seen a uniformed cop with a leather holster or duty belt. Where kydex & nylon also shine is in being a lot lighter setup.

There was a San Antonio FD arson investigator wearing uniform polo/5.11s I saw recently that had a leather thumb break holster.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Most comfortable holster I own is a $20 kydex Amazon holster for my p365. I have a nice versacarry leather holster that pinches my hip and can't stand it. Every other holster I have is Kydex except for the leather one that made my revolver surface rust. Kydex for using, leather for showing off.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Thumb breaks are level 3. Lots of leather thumb break holsters out there

Eta, i can't recall the last time I've seen a cop using a leather holster, it's always Safariland, or the rare serpa. And a few kydex ones.
    Thumbbreak holsters are Level II retention. Level III requires a release that is not readily accessible or visible.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Thumbbreak holsters are Level II retention. Level III requires a release that is not readily accessible or visible.

Safariland has (or at least had) leather thumb break holsters with additional retention devices, and are level III

AFAIK, and i may very well be wrong, a release being visible or accessible has nothing to do with the rating a holster has, as long as it's some form of active retention, a hood, thumb break, lever, button, etc. At least thats how Safariland says it works.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Safariland has (or at least had) leather thumb break holsters with additional retention devices, and are level III

AFAIK, and i may very well be wrong, a release being visible or accessible has nothing to do with the rating a holster has, as long as it's some form of active retention, a hood, thumb break, lever, button, etc. At least thats how Safariland says it works.
    There is no national/industry standard for retention method. Some argue passive retention is a method and count that.

I don't quite know where to start on this. A long time ago in galaxy far, far and away nobody spoke of this voodoo know as retention levels. Then, in the '70s, a guy named Bill Rogers at the FBI wanted to know why cops were getting killed by their own guns. He 'discovered' what we all intuitively know, and that is the harder you make it for somebody to steal something of yours, the less your stuff gets stolen, so he came up with a practical test...can somebody wrench a gun out of a holster w/in five seconds...and made up some holsters that would keep assailants from doing that. And Rogers' Level I was born. Rogers decided each way you could 'lock' the gun in the holster would be an added level of retention. So he started selling his holsters and business was brisk enough that he licensed the design to Safariland just to keep up with demand. Later, Safariland bought him out and the rest is history. Rogers is also credited with the first commercially successful hybrid leather/kydex and created the first kydex holsters.

The real takeaway from this traipse down memory lane is that any holster can claim to be any level of retention it wants to, so you better damn for sure know how those methods work.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    so basically the higher the retention rating the harder and slower it is to get out...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've got a S&W 357/38 snubby I carry quite frequently. It has a "hip grip" and other than being kind of small for my hands, it works great (and has worked great for over 25+ years). The double action only S&W with an about a 12 lb.+ trigger pull would be damn near impossible to produce a negligent discharge.

Reactions: gll

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This holster (the only leather holster i currently own) is about 2 years old, only worn on (almost) every Friday in summer, with a S&W 66. Bianchi 4H. Needs to be thrown out because the belt loops have stretched, as has the thumb break, it can not be easily drawn.any pressure put on it complicates the draw, but i can still get it out since its a revolver.
    View attachment 319265 View attachment 319266 View attachment 319267 View attachment 319268

This safariland ALS is about 2 years old as well, the belt loop plate is probably about 3, and is used 4 days of the week all year round. Its mostly been carrying a Beretta PX4, but the loop plate has been used to carry an M9A4 and occasionally a 1911, in other Safariland or safariland compatible holsters. No issues with retention and i can be totally on my side, all 200lbs of me on this holster, and still draw and reholster View attachment 319269 View attachment 319270

I don't hate leather, it looks great and is comfortable, but it has major downsides.

Thats why even as far back as WWI, lot's of countries made efforts to get away from leather, slings, cartridge belts, holsters...

And its why hardly anyone who carries a gun for a living still uses leather
    I wear an El Paso Saddlery 'High Slide' as my main edc (1911). I wear it 10 to 16 hours a day when teaching. The only noticeable wear is a bit of dye discoloration in the over 3 years I've worn it. The retention screw I can still tighten to where is almost impossible to draw. If I can get another 3 or more years use out of it, I'll consider it fantastic. Even now, to me, it was money well spent.

While you bring up good points for the kydex holsters, and I own a few, I appreciate the comfort and the looks in quality leather.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    … so as I see it:

The answer to the holster material question is going to vary depending upon your needs and preferences and there is no wrong answer.

The answer to the OP is nearly the same, except some folks can do well without a holster for concealed carry.

But the main answer is: carry a gun by whatever means apply for you. Just carry a gun, and know how and when to use it, God forbid it must be used.

Top Bottom