• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Where do you guys buy an old WWII 1911 for $425? I wanna know. the listed prices are actually cheaper than what I expected.
    It's not at all about finding the guns for $425. No, it's about them being mismatched, in potentially poor condition, and offered at random via the CMP that is making everyone quite hesitant to fork up the money. It's a gamble you're likely going to come out on the wrong side of, in my opinion. If I found one that's matching and in reasonably good shape, then hell yes I'd pay the price. For what they're saying you'll get for the money? I'm out.
    Venture Surplus ad

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    It's more than I want to pay and so I won't but the prices don't seem that unreasonable. Like it or not, they're pretty much in a position to set the market price and I guarantee they won't have any for long. They probably could charge even more for them and sell out of them quickly.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    All matching from pistols that served 60+ years? What few there might be....would be auctioned.....

I agree the pricing is higher than I thought they would be, but Garands aren't going for $125 like the first one bought from the CMP either.....

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Jedi mind tricks aside. Based on my past CMP buying experiences and IF grading of the 1911s is anything like the M1 Garands, the quality will be better (usually, much better) than their grading description (i.e., pitted, rusty, broke this, cracked that, etc.). I’m not sure why CMP goes that route with their descriptions - I suspect it’s some form of legal ‘cya’ in play, but who knows.

If the market demand does far out strip the supply (as is expected) and since it’s effectively a lottery process (random number generated), MOST participants won’t get a chance to buy a pistol anyway. Also there is no way of knowing ‘how many’ of each grade will be available. CMP armorers are likely in the process of sorting through and grading them now....how that turns out, is anybody’s guess. IF your assigned random number is low enough, you’ll be given an opportunity to pick what grade pistol you want to buy. That’s why CMP warns the higher grade pistols (Service grade) will likely sell out, first.

For those who do participate AND are left with the only choice being Rack grade... well, good luck (and hope it doesn’t come to that). Rack Grade in M1 Garand parlance, means the rifle isn’t in a “shootable” condition - to be used only for display or parade functions, etc. I’m not sure what Rack Grade means for the 1911 pistols - except to note CMP classifies them as not being in an “issuable” condition (meaning some “minor” repair is necessary before they could be issued for use, in the military presumably). Either won’t shoot or not safe to shoot until additional money is spent on them? And that’s for a mere $850.

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If they had caught up to the modern era and you could actually see photos of what you were buying at that price point, it might be different.

As it looks now, I'll sit this out too, which is opposite of what I had been thinking all along.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Even the $525 I paid for my Service Grade Springfield seems like a good price now.
    Exactly this. Even a RIA is a great deal compared to this junk.

Oh, wait.

Milsurp
    Colt
    Military issue

Big deal. Even new they are worth $750 at the most.

But spend your money however you want.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Its unthinkable this has even been allowed to happen.
    The US fed.gov actually allowing handguns to be sold out to the public is fanatastic.
    Think of all the other gear that could be sold off. I know there are a some M3's hiding somehwere.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Its unthinkable this has even been allowed to happen.
    The US fed.gov actually allowing handguns to be sold out to the public is fanatastic.
    Think of all the other gear that could be sold off. I know there are a some M3's hiding somehwere.

Yep, the Govt. is selling guns at the same time most people are crying about people owning guns...

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yep, the Govt. is selling guns at the same time most people are crying about people owning guns...

Where’s that Hogg kid in Florida? I’d love to see his response to finding out CMP is selling on behalf of the government not just these 1911s, but military rifles and ammo as well.

If I understood social media, I might even poke the bear a little to see the reaction.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Guess it depends on the value you place on that “Property of US Government” roll mark.
    I once showed someone what the inside of a gun show looked like and was spouting (hopefully entertaining) trivia. I explained the value of the "Property of US Government" rollmark by picking up a sidelever trainer air rifle off the rack of a milsurp dealer.

"See this rifle? It's notorious for bad seals. A nice shooter when new but requires expensive re-builds way too often. One this worn out with damage to the stock like this is worth $50, max, if I'm being really generous. It's really just a pile of spare parts that should sell for $20."

Then I showed him the rollmark and said that collectors paid a premium for that. How much of a premium?

I turned over the price tag and it was marked for $600.

Moonpie and others are absolutely correct. They'll sell every one.

Now, my question is "Will I live to see a time when we look back on this sale the same way we now look back on those cases of SKS rifles priced at $65 apiece?"

At the time, plenty of people thought they were barely worth it and would have passed if they were $80 - which seems pretty comparable to the conversation going on in this thread.

I know that someday these prices will seem super cheap. I'm just wondering how long that will take.

Top Bottom