• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I am looking at trying to meet the eligibility requirements for CMP and one of the requirements [url]http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm[/URL] is to be a part of a CMP affiliated organization. I've gone through their list of clubs in Texas, but have no real clue which one is right for me, especially since 90% of what there is is JROTC which I don't quite meet the requirements for...lol. I am curious if any other TGT members are part of any of these clubs and have any suggestions/experiences about what is involved. I don't have alot of free time to make it to club meetings and such seeing as how I spend 2/3 of the year offshore and the other 1/3 of the year trying to remind my wife how much I love her...lol. I realize most will probably require some sort of participation, but I am curious what other people's experiences with these are. Any help/info would be appreciated.
    Target Sports

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Gotcha...I didn't see them listed any of the other times I looked on there. Once I searched using the full name it showed up. Thanks cuate!

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    My old club in Md. was CMP affiliated. WE held matches monthly. You had to have an NRA membership to be a club member as well. NRA is who actually handles all the paperwork, scoring, classifications, etc. That fact that the match is a CMP match, just sets the rules, course of fire, etc. It also allows you to purchase surplus ammo and rifles through the CMP (if available)

Since moving to San Antonio, I've found little interest in CMP Hi-Pwr rifle matches. IDPA and all the other pistol games seem to dominate in this part of the state. If you find a local club that holds CMP matches, they'll probably work with you on the attendence requirements of their club. It's usually more about $$$ than hours. YMMV.

Your best bet for info is to contact the NRA.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You had to have an NRA membership to be a club member as well. NRA is who actually handles all the paperwork, scoring, classifications, etc. That fact that the match is a CMP match, just sets the rules, course of fire, etc. It also allows you to purchase surplus ammo and rifles through the CMP (if available)

Somewhat incorrect. The CMP does default to NRA rules when running matches, unless their rule book addresses the item, like what is a legal Service Pistol or Service Rifle for EIC Leg matches. They do not use the NRA classification system, i.e. Master, Expert, etc. All competitors fire in the same open classification at matches. In general, you do need to show evidence of marksmanship training to buy a rifle from them, but that can be accomplished in several different ways.

However, CMP match scores, entry fees, etc. are sent directly to the CMP. They are not part of the NRA, as evidenced by the distinctly different matches at the Nationals at Camp Perry each year.

For info on the CMP, it is best to ask them directly. Their website is [URL="http://www.odcmp.com"]www.odcmp.com[/URL]. Under the competitions section they will list upcoming matches. Their rule book is also available in pdf format.

As Cuate mentioned, the TSRA is an affiliated CMP organization, as are all the State Associations.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    So if I read you correctly, I was competing in NRA Hi-Pwr matches, NOT CMP matches? Either way, I was just involved for the fun of it.

My classification card says "NRA Hi-Pwr Service Rifle...Expert
    So by your explanation, it only has signifigance in NRA hi-pwr matches, not actual CMP matches? IN CMP matches, everyone is equal?

I guess I didn't understand the distingtion. I do know that the entry fees were split 3 ways...the club, NRA and CMP each got a piece. And, we we allowed to buy CMP ammo at the matches.

Thanks for clearing me up.

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    And there are national organizations like USPSA and the Garand Collectors Association that qualify as well.
    IDPA and all the other pistol games seem to dominate in this part of the state.
    IDPA membership does not qualify as club membership, but shooting a match satisfies the marksmanship activity requirement and can be shown in 2 ways:
    - Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    - Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdfhttp://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
    Note, you do not have to be any good, just have activity. ;)

Lee

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    So if I read you correctly, I was competing in NRA Hi-Pwr matches, NOT CMP matches? Either way, I was just involved for the fun of it.

My classification card says "NRA Hi-Pwr Service Rifle...Expert
    So by your explanation, it only has signifigance in NRA hi-pwr matches, not actual CMP matches? IN CMP matches, everyone is equal?

I guess I didn't understand the distingtion. I do know that the entry fees were split 3 ways...the club, NRA and CMP each got a piece. And, we we allowed to buy CMP ammo at the matches.

Thanks for clearing me up.

Correct. Your classification was for NRA High Power matches only. In CMP matches everyone competes against everyone else across the board. There are no break-downs by classification.

When you shoot an NRA match, part of the fees collected goes to the NRA. The same for a CMP match; part goes to them to help run the program and provide medals for the top 10% of competitors. The club is required by NRA rules (for NRA matches) to pay back a certain portion to participants unless they are running a non-profit match where they only collect enough fees to pay the NRA and pay for the targets, etc. CMP matches do not pay back participants, since the fees collected are just enough to pay for the targets, etc. and any medals that are awarded.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    wowzers!
    i had no idea about CMP.
    i guess i should have read my TSRA material a little better. what an awesome deal.
    22 bucks for singleshot .22s? thats great now i can afford to get my freinds into shooting. and 2a support.

also. bombthepeasents..... wtf is that handle about? just curious...

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    It's worthwhile to get a customer number and get on their email list. A couple years ago, they liquidated their stock of Colt .22 conversion units for the 1911A1 pistol. I picked up a like NIB unit plus magazine for $300 shipped.

Right now, their ammo orders are running way behind, like everyone else, but they are catching up. Rifle sales are the same way.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I have a coworker who is willing to order me a Garand and a spam can of ammo through CMP as a favor, but I want to be able to do it myself. It looks like having a CHL will satisfy the proficiency requirement, but the club membership is what i was concerned about. It looks like the TSRA membership counts for that, so I'm good. However, after looking into it, I will probably join the GCA as well. Everyone at CMP seems to think the four pubs a year that GCA sends out to members are more than worthwhile for $25

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Yep, it's nice to get the rifle on your own since they send you a certificate of purchase with it that has your name on it. I picked up a rack grade a couple years ago when I was at Camp Perrry for the Nationals. They also give you one clip (woo hoo) and a empty chamber indicator. Let me know if you need any clips and we can work out a deal or something.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Tsra

I joined the TSRA and that was sufficient enough for them. I have since bought 2 Garands, 1 Carbine, and a bunch of ammunition.

I had the hots for an O3A3 some time back and the TSRA Membership did the trick, got a fine 03, barrel was like Wow, must have never been fired,
    but Cosmoline......wish I;d saved it, wnough to pickle a 155mm....

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I play a WWII flight sim called "IL-2 Sturmovik", and wanted to find a handle used the word "Bomb" and something original. I think I did OK. It was either that, or "DeepFriedKittens", but some people have no sense of humor when it comes to their cats...

shootmre steel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    East Texas
    I shoot DCM with my Garand in Lyons Texas. The Brazos Valley Service Rifle Association is located About 75 miles northeast of San Antonio near Bryan College Station. look up [url]www.bvsra.org[/URL]. They hold matches on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month. Membership is casual. They also sponser John M. Garand matches several times a year. If you have never seen 20 M1's working at one time you are missing something. Join. They post your scores to CMP. You have to have a minimum number of shots to qualify for CMP membership. They also shoot cast bullets and open class rifle matches. Look for you there.

Good Luck

Top Bottom