• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    I didn't want to get off topic on another's Garand post. I know the CMP will sell arms to only approved members of other firearm organizations, but are the same restrictions applied to ammo too? They seem to be the only source of surplus M2 ball ammo. Everyone else tends to be out of stock most of the time.
    Korean War Era M1 (International Harvester receiver)

Feelin'Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Colorado
    Hey there! I am the guy with the other Garand Post. I found a nice place that seems to have everything in stock. Check out 30-06 M1 M2 Ball USGI Surplus Ammunition and let me know what you think. They have original 1942 and even armor piercing! I looked all over and it seems the most comprehensive. I thought it said somewhere in there about the Utah Armory....not sure.

jkchan83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    I just visited the PackRats site. The prices are pretty good but about 84% higher than the CMP (once you include S&H) for the 300 rd. bulk packed Greek M2. The only cheaper stuff is British Kynoch that is "Mildly Corrosive primed" and Berdan, so it's not reloadable.

I would suggest that it is easier (and cheaper) to just fill out all of the paperwork to join the CMP. The 2 hardest parts are 1) shooting requirement and 2) notarized signature. Both of those are relatively easy, especially if you have taken ANY NRA firearms class or shoot competitively. Almost every bank has at least 1 notary on staff and they will offer free services for their clients. Plus, you only have to do all of that once every three years.

Lastly, as a tip to other CMP ammo purchasers, I did the math when the CMP got their new order of Greek M2 and raised their prices. It is actually cheaper to buy the M2 packaged in 192 rd. cans (in enbloc clips) than to buy the bulk packed 240 rd. cans.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    CMP has already sold out of all the .30-06 AP in cans, and all the .30-06 ball in belts.

All they have left is the ammo packed in 8 rd clips and bandoleers, and the ammo packed in 20 rd paper cartons. Both of these are priced at .50 per round so it doesn't make any difference which one you buy, except you can sell the 8 rd clips (24 per can) for easily $1 each ($24) and there are 4 bandoleers which you can also sell for about $5 each ($20) so that will reduce the cost of your ammo to $52 per can or .27 per round of ammo. Not bad.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Membership to the NRA doesn't count...but membership to the TSRA does...atleast not when I tried to use my NRA membership...it may have changed

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Membership to the NRA doesn't count...but membership to the TSRA does...atleast not when I tried to use my NRA membership...it may have changed

Nope, hasn't changed. The NRA is not a CMP affiliated club. TSRA works, as do other state organizations like the CRPA, etc.

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    Eligibility Requirements

[SIZE=+2]Eligibilty Requirements for Purchase [/SIZE]By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also U.S. citizens, over 18 years of age and who are legally eligible to purchase a firearm.
    ItalyCarbines4.jpg

A small number of crated rifles​
    Proof of U.S. Citizenship:
    You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.
    Proof of Age:
    You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.
    Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization:
    You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.
    Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.
    Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition.
    Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or videos or CMP memorabilia.
    Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:
    You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:
    - Current or past military service.
    - Current or past law enforcement service
    - Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    - Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    - Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    - Concealed Carry License.
    - Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
    - FFL or C&R license.
    - Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    - Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
    NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Top Bottom