• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    The latest I saw on the subject of the new AW legislation is the threat to fire county sheriffs in Colorado that refuse to enforce the new laws. First the legislature threatened to not legislate pay increases for sheriffs' departments, and then this.

I guess what I'd like to know is why some judge in Colorado, or NY for that matter, doesn't rule these new laws unconstitutional so they can't be enacted.
    Guns International

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    The latest I saw on the subject of the new AW legislation is the threat to fire county sheriffs in Colorado that refuse to enforce the new laws. First the legislature threatened to not legislate pay increases for sheriffs' departments, and then this.

I guess what I'd like to know is why some judge in Colorado, or NY for that matter, doesn't rule these new laws unconstitutional so they can't be enacted.

Because doing so would be career suicide for them (and probably earn them a few actual death threats as well). It's important to remember that almost all of the anti-gun/AWB bullshit that starts in NY has Bloomberg's backing and full support, no matter how insane/unconstitutional it is, and that fact alone makes this sort of crap a complete pain in the ass to defeat.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't SCOTUS the only court that can make a "this legislation/law/etc is unconstitutional" ruling stick without having to buck it further up the chain?

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Correct me if Im wrong but they cant fire an elected official

Try telling that to the former Detroit mayor who (unfortunately) is living down here, or any of the other political screw-ups who have been forced out of office for violating the law or their oath of office. I'm pretty sure it's possible for an elected official to be terminated from their position. Whether or not "firing" is the right term, though, I have no friggin' idea.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    That's funny that 0bama can selectively enforce laws, but nobody else can. That'd be funny if TX LEOs refused to enforce all federal law. Who'd respond to bank robberies.

Last time I checked, robbing any place was a crime under Texas State Laws. Texas Peace Officers have quite a bit of latitude in the use of their discretion on whether or not to arrest as well. For almost every statute, it reads "MAY arrest" not "Shall arrest".

What they are trying to do in Colorado is to make it a crime for the Sheriffs NOT to enforce a law, any law. What they don't realize is the unintended consequences that will ensue. Wait until one of the Legislatures gets pulled over and instead of a warning they get arrested. :-)

claimbuster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Rowlett, TX
    It appears that 37 of Colorado's 67 sheriffs are going to take legal action against the new laws. They are going to file suit to overturn the magazine limitations and universal back ground checks. I moved here from CO after retiring last year, I guess I got out just in time.

Top Bottom