• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXCOP03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Houston
    Hello all. I recently picked up a 1920 colt 1911 that was apparently upgraded in world war two. It has a 1920 frame and serial number but world war two colt internals...dont ask lol i was asking the same questions. Anyway the finish on the gun along with all the colt markings are gone due to someone preparing the gun for custom scroll engraving. Has a plain satin color finish right now. How ever i feel as though i have a blank canvas and have some ideas on possibly getting it refinished. I am wanting feed back guys. Should i keep all the internals and have the externals refinished or should i buy all new parts and just keep the frame. Anyway some feedback would be great!

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Is it a USGI frame or commercial. It sounds like the collector's value is gone by the refinish prep and parts change. I really don't know how you would tell the internals were WWII as the only differences were the MSH and barrels and possibly hammer.

TXCOP03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Houston
    I was going off what I was told. The barrel shows a p on one side of lug and a c with square around it on other. Also shows a g stamp for government contract near disconnector. Its commercial model. Yes value is gone. But colt archives told me its at least a 1000.00 pistol.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Forget the value of the piece: Turn it into a shooter you will be happy with. Your descendants will value it far more because it was yours, and you enjoyed shooting it.

There is an intrinsic value to "heirloom" pieces that cannot be properly assessed no matter their condition .... unless you are a deceased President or a notorious Gangster.

Top Bottom