• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghosty1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Beaumont
    Title says it all. Most of you are probably pretty good with knots. Some of us are/were not (no pun!)
    I got loaded up on mil spec 550 paracord after starting some skydiving stuff and finding out how good and inexpensive this stuff really is. Then it occurred to me, that I knew nothing useful about knot tying. Such a simple thing...surely I am not the only one!

As to communcations I have seen one poster mention CB radio. I believe I can suggest a far better alternative. HAM radio. A handheld ham radio will far outperform any CB in all aspects. They will scan WX info, authorities frequencies, aviation and marine bands and will easily and on the order of magnitudes outdo CB in terms of range, which is all important.
    Cons? Some will say, but but, you need an FCC license to legally operate one! You do. Its also easy and cheap to get. Many online sites will prep you for the test, which costs 14 dollars to take. You do not have to be a radiohead or a rocket scientist or electrical wizard to get rated. In fact most of the test questions for the lowest level (technician class) deal with laws and definitions, not electronics theory. Much like most of the CHL requirements deal with aspects OTHER than shooting itself.
    Cost? While HAM radio is more expensive than CB, it is not prohibitively so, and the increased range, reliability, and reception is well worth the added expense. Of course, like all things, speed costs...How fast do you want to go?

Just another whack idea from your friendly ghost!
    Texas SOT

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    25 years ago I studied morse code in order to get a tech license.

I lost interest because it just seemed goofy to learn morse and then never use it again except on field day.

based upon your post, knowing morse is no longer a requirement?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Are you familiar with MARS? Military Affiliated Radio Stations.

When my father was sent to Viet Nam in 1968, he could call home using the MARS system where HAM operators in the USA patched the phone call through to family. I'm thinking we got a call from a stranger who asked us if we would take a collect call from somewhere on the west coast.

Collect calls in those days were very expensive, so it was not much more than "Hi & Bye."

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Code is NO longer a requirement. But amateur radio can turn into an expensive hobby, if you don't know anything but push a button and talk.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    For knots, got to - Animatedknots.com.
    The figure 8, clove hitch, and bowline will cover pretty much anything you'll need to tie.
    Great site with plenty of helpful info.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Code is NO longer a requirement. But amateur radio can turn into an expensive hobby, if you don't know anything but push a button and talk.

I converted a VIC20 to translate send/receive morse. It was frowned upon during field day. LOL

VIC20 ... geez, I feel old.

But a 2 meter rig is nice to have.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    Code is no longer a requirement for a license. Ham radio is figured into my SHTF plans. It will still be there when normal comms go down.

If anyone is interested I can help with advice, recommendations and resources.

Sent from Cheyenne Mountain to confuse the NSA

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Great topics. Ive got a knot book that ill practice with while hiking.

As far as radio goes, what do you like for local communication? Say within a neighborhood or a few miles?

Ghosty1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Beaumont
    Morse code (CW) is no longer a requirement.

I still like amateur radio for short range communications as well. a good used (new, in some cases) handheld will not run much more than a set of GPRS radios (walkie talkies) and do a ton more.

all things considered, if its better than smoke signals/carrier pidgeon you are probably one more step ahead of the other guy ;p

+1 for animatedknots.com - great site!

Last edited:

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Fortunately one of my hobbies ties in nicely with my preps. I collect militaria and own several PRC25s, a PRC77, two PRC90s, two Chinese supplied NVA radios (same freqs as the 25s) and a "Village Radio" Hallicrafter HT1. Most are in working condition. I'm also restoring a couple of WWII Wireless Sets No. 19. It will be important to keep abreast of developements in a SHTF situation and to able to establish your own net for defensive and offensive operations.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    I converted a VIC20 to translate send/receive morse. It was frowned upon during field day. LOL

VIC20 ... geez, I feel old.

But a 2 meter rig is nice to have.

Lol Those things belong in a museum.

I have a pretty standard set of 4 radios that my party shall use pre-determined code to talk over. Very little desire to make connections with unknowns on the other end of the airwaves until pretty far into a disaster scenario (especially not government entities).

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    As far as radio goes, what do you like for local communication? Say within a neighborhood or a few miles?

If you are talking specifically about Ham radio, it is hard to beat 2 Meter simplex for local communications. Most hand helds these days will actually work on 2 Meters as well as one or two other bands which just adds more flexibility. For those that don't want the added effort of amature radio licensing...you can get an FRS/GMRS 'walkie-talkies' from almost any electronics outlet.

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    Do yourself a favor and go to a reputable outdoor store where one of the sales people knows about rope. REI is usually a good bet. Academy is not. Buy 10 feet of good 6mm kernmantle rope. Trying to learn knots with tiny rope like 550/parachute cord or the cheap junk from Home Despot is an exercise in futility and will only frustrate you.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Do yourself a favor and go to ait's regularly scheduled programming. reputable outdoor store where one of the sales people knows about rope. REI is usually a good bet. Academy is not. Buy 10 feet of good 6mm kernmantle rope. Trying to learn knots with tiny rope like 550/parachute cord or the cheap junk from Home Despot is an exercise in futility and will only frustrate you.

Holy cow. You're still around Phil. We haven't seen ya at lunch and I haven't seen ya post. Was thinking you were gone. Come on out to lunch again!

We now return the thread from the hijacked state to its regularly scheduled program.

DetourDFW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    I run a ham, but prefer a CB for 95% of what I need. Just having a scanner is worthwhile for any prepper, but as for range I don't really feel a need to go beyond the 25miles my cb's can reach out to. Also my full ham setup is huge, while my CB setup has an adjustable 5-200watt output that can be carried in one hand. (Not including ants and all) CB is just cheap also, you can by a fully tuned trucker radio that peaks over 100watts for 300$.

Troysland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Picked up this book last week, thought I'd share.
    WHAT KNOT? By Geoffrey Budworth & Richard Hopkins.
    4695964.jpg

Top Bottom