• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    also, if you decide on an STI, I suggest you check-out Shooter's Connection website - from my research I've found they have the largest "in stock" selection (bought my Tactical from them..)(no sales tax, just FFL fee)

Complete Firearms
    ARJ Defense ad

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    also, if you decide on an STI, I suggest you check-out Shooter's Connection website - from my research I've found they have the largest "in stock" selection (bought my Tactical from them..)(no sales tax, just FFL fee)

Complete Firearms

Thanks. Hard time drilling down past the Ed Brown's, though. ;)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Out of the box trigger on the P938s is pretty terrible. Like 8-9lbs and gritty terrible... I was able to smooth mine out and get it to around 6.5lbs with very little work, and now I'm a big fan of the P938. So much so that I bought one for the girlfriend (also to keep her from stealing mine :laughing:)

his & hers
    10586464185_b1bc5f407b_c.png

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Personally, I'm not a fan of pocket carry so I can't comment on that other than to say I carry a stainless compact. It's likely too heavy for anything other than a reinforced pocket. And I'm not a big dude so I'm not sure it would fit anyway. I use either an IWB or one of those "man bra" shoulder holsters that you see the guy selling at some of the local gun shows. As to which model/brand; it's mostly personal preference. I have a Philippines SAM compact that I picked up for cheap. It had "issues" (FTRB, failed reverse plug, etc) but I got it as a project. Now it's finally wrung out and works flawlessly. The knock on the compacts is that some don't work 'out of the box'. I never trust ANY gun out of the box, so I'd make sure to run it until I was comfortable with it. I think some of the reputation of the compacts is undeserved. I've seen some people buy a new one and take it straight to the range, never even looked inside the thing. Find out they'd never owned a 1911 before. Then they have "problems". Mine had problems, but I knew that when I bought it. But most, given proper care and handling, will work pretty good. Sorry about the rambling. The coffee must be defective this morning.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Personally, I'm not a fan of pocket carry so I can't comment on that other than to say I carry a stainless compact. It's likely too heavy for anything other than a reinforced pocket. And I'm not a big dude so I'm not sure it would fit anyway. I use either an IWB or one of those "man bra" shoulder holsters that you see the guy selling at some of the local gun shows. As to which model/brand; it's mostly personal preference. I have a Philippines SAM compact that I picked up for cheap. It had "issues" (FTRB, failed reverse plug, etc) but I got it as a project. Now it's finally wrung out and works flawlessly. The knock on the compacts is that some don't work 'out of the box'. I never trust ANY gun out of the box, so I'd make sure to run it until I was comfortable with it. I think some of the reputation of the compacts is undeserved. I've seen some people buy a new one and take it straight to the range, never even looked inside the thing. Find out they'd never owned a 1911 before. Then they have "problems". Mine had problems, but I knew that when I bought it. But most, given proper care and handling, will work pretty good. Sorry about the rambling. The coffee must be defective this morning.

I'd love to carry IWB, but these days it would have to appendix if I did, and I'm not fond of that. You get to a certain age and carrying at around 3-4 O'clock is as much creaking, as it is reaching. Being self-employed, I dress the way I want and generally wear cargo shorts/pants and/or blue jeans and use a Uncle Mike's or DeSantis depending upon the pants pocket size, besides, Duluth Trading's long tail T's will cover up a lot more than plumber's cleavage.

Another consideration, and already having a few safe queens, I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm for ccw that is too de$irable in case the worst happens. With my current ccw, that is not an issue.

Time for another cup of coffee ... ;)

scout789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    lake jackson, tx
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Raptor II in a pocket holster made by Stoner. I wear pants and shorts made by VerTX that have a right hand hidden pocket behind the conventional pocket. Very comfortable, very accessible. While the pants are considered "tactical," they are quite discreet and can be worn most anywhere.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Yeah, what works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. Many don't think a 1911 is a good carry gun. But I also have plenty of muscle memory using them so they work for me.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Raptor II in a pocket holster made by Stoner. I wear pants and shorts made by VerTX that have a right hand hidden pocket behind the conventional pocket. Very comfortable, very accessible. While the pants are considered "tactical," they are quite discreet and can be worn most anywhere.

I looked on their site and it looks like they have a lot of deals and a variety of items. Do they only sell from the internet or is there somewhere someone could go look at and/or try on some of their clothing? Looks like pretty good stuff.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Yeah, what works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. Many don't think a 1911 is a good carry gun. But I also have plenty of muscle memory using them so they work for me.

Being a good carry gun is one of the many attributes of the 1911. :rolleyes: Unlike some other brands/styles of guns that were made only to conceal carry, hunt, house gun, etc. 1911s can do it all.

scout789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    lake jackson, tx
    Very true! It's not muscle memory for me, I just like the 1911 platform. It fits my small hands very well and I can shoot the single action trigger much better than than the striker fired types.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    Now I know it's not a 1911...but if you want a light pocket carry the Kahr pm9 is something to look at. It's got a good but heavy DAO trigger on it and easily fits in a pocket. They make a version in 40 too.

for the 1911 side I'd say EMP, I dont own one but i've had the chance to fire one and it was a tack driver

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Lemme toss one more STI into the mix....the Guardian. Picked one up last week, and shot it over the weekend with a wide variety of loads, includin' FMJSWC's. Flawless feed/eject through 100 mixed rounds. It already had a coupla hundred rounds through it from the previous owner, so it's goin' into my carry rotation.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Haven't ever owned one but that RIA might be a good gun (good reputation) if you're gonna' immediately start to put more money into it by modifying it. I don't quite understand understand why one would buy a high-end gun and start putting money into it, but that's just me.

Top Bottom