ARJ Defense ad

Companies\rules that won't let me or make it difficult fix my own stuff.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    After spending 'hundreds" of dollars in the last few years on very good gas weedeaters, about 6 months ago I bought the cheapest Craftsman electric weeder and it works great! Runs everytime you pull the trigger! Of course I've got 100' cord to drag around but it's still better that yankin' on the damn cable to get it started knowing knowing full well the sumbitch isn't going to start!
    I bought a Ryobi one with a battery pack. Nice to go a year without having to replace every fuel line....
    ARJ Defense ad

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    That's excellent Matey! Seems all the small engine repair shops here in North Tx are almost all gone and or out of business.

Repairing consumer grade lawn and garden tools is a better hobby than it is a living. I'm using it to get tools I need cheap for the home\land I have.

Will upgrade to professional or contractor level ASAP on some things like my riding mower that came with the house.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Call me crazy I only run my two strokes on the canned stuff now like below. I know my price per gallon is huge but the payback is not having to open the carb every season.
    f2a2b7ca-7970-4708-8b0b-1eab81a914f9_1000.jpg

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I switched to the Battery B&D trimmer. my trimming is relatively small so I can get away with one battery. My Mower sat for about six years
    when I put it back into use I replaced the carb ,fuel lines, oil, and air filter and it was as good as new.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Yeah, ethanol in gasoline destroys the fuel system in small engines. I use the canned "non-ethanol" fuel mix.

It takes more energy to make ethanol than you get from burning it. EPA claimed it would cut emissions, but it turns out that it doesn't. But, once again, facts don't matter. The corn producing states want to make money, so EPA mandates it's use in fuel.

EPA now controls what fuels you can buy, what engines (of all sizes) that can be used, what toilets can be sold, what refrigerators, air conditioners, washers, dryers, and freezes you can buy, what pesticides you can use, what asthma inhalers are legal, what time of day emergency engines can be run for testing, what kinds of paint you can buy, and many new things are being added each year. None of their edicts are subject to your vote. In many cases they simply extrapolated existing laws to define the regulations they want to enact.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You can "wash" pump gasoline to get the ethanol out of it if you don't want to pay the premium for pure gas. I just add a few ounces of seafoam to pump gas, tho. Helps stabilize the ethanol and mitigates a lot of the damage it does. I also don't mind taking the carb off and cleaning it. That's typically all it needs. Newer fuel lines and gaskets tolerate ethanol much better than the old ones do.

The EPA still needs to FOAD.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I don't understand the fuel issues. I have a very old box store echo blower and no carb issues. I run it dry every fall. It's easily 15 years old. My trimmer isn't quite as old but also no issues.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I don't understand the fuel issues. I have a very old box store echo blower and no carb issues. I run it dry every fall. It's easily 15 years old. My trimmer isn't quite as old but also no issues.

Go buy a new "disposable" one and report back next year. Things aren't built the same now as they used to be.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    The only machine I have ever beaten to hell and it still works is my Briggs and Stratton push mower. I haven't used it in a few years now that I got the Deere but other than cleaning out the air filter, that thing took an ass whooping an still chugged.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I'm told by several people in the know that most new Harley Davidsons require the entire rear swingarm to be removed in order to change the belt, which must be done at 50-60k miles. Not unusual to pay $1k in labor for this service!

For comparison, my dinky Honda Rebel requires a side cover on the engine to be removed and the rear tire to be loosened and moved forward to change the chain. Takes about 20-25 minutes and can easily be done at home with a motorcycle jack. Probably make it an hour if you're going to change the sprockets, too.

Shit like this is why I'll never own a Harley. Not to mention the catastrophic engine design on the Twin Cam.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Not sure if this belongs here, because it's not hard to fix, but it IS nearly impossible to use worth a shit in stock form thanks to Govt. regulations:

Top Bottom