• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Anyone know the laws or know where I can get some info on the legality of carrying a sbr in a backpack. Not that I will be doing Wally walk thrus are anything like that. But having it in my vehicle in a back pack or transporting to and from my home or range concealed in a backpack. Thanks.
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Anyone know the laws or know where I can get some info on the legality of carrying a sbr in a backpack. Not that I will be doing Wally walk thrus are anything like that. But having it in my vehicle in a back pack or transporting to and from my home or range concealed in a backpack. Thanks.

Legal in Texas for the most part, and some laws like 30.06 wouldn't apply to you.

Just remember that SBRs are technically illegal and that NFA compliance is just an affirmative defense to prosecution, so if police wanted to do you dirty for carrying a concealed SBR, they could.

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    Would it be the same with a pistol upper and lower separated and in a back pack? Meaning would this be considered "conceal carry?"

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Legal in Texas for the most part, and some laws like 30.06 wouldn't apply to you.

Just remember that SBRs are technically illegal and that NFA compliance is just an affirmative defense to prosecution, so if police wanted to do you dirty for carrying a concealed SBR, they could.
    It is not an affirmative defense, just a defense to prosecution. That means the act is unlawful, but you have a defense you can offer in court. You would have to provide evidence to support the defense, such as NFA paperwork.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Rifles can be openly carried in Texas, SBR or not. Its just not common, so you will be hassled by police who think it isn't.

Again, SBRs are illegal. Look at PC 46.05. Possession under the NFA is a defense.

In addition, 42.01 of the penal code makes it unlawful to display a firearm in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm. One would be wise to consider the method of carry.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't be too concerned with carrying an SBR in a backpack.

I would rather go with a standard rifle with either a folding stock or a bullpup configuration because of the NFA issues. There are also other containers that will fit something like a Steyr AUG or AK folder that are at least as easy to carry and as low profile as a backpack. We just have to use some imagination on this one. ;)

Wouldn't bother disassembling the rifle, though. Carry is carry, I don't see anything in the law that differentiates a disassembled firearm from an assembled one. Maybe TXI has and can point it out for us, but an AR lower is a firearm.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    e3ujy2ys.jpg

Check mate.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I have the 5.11 select carry back pack for my sbr Draco that's why I was wondering if it was legal. I didn't want to get jammed up with it in my vehicle in the bag or carrying it thru a Parkin lot or somewhere.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Again, SBRs are illegal. Look at PC 46.05. Possession under the NFA is a defense.

In addition, 42.01 of the penal code makes it unlawful to display a firearm in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm. One would be wise to consider the method of carry.

Yes. Carry your stamp with you. As I said - Carrying of a Long gun/Shotgun is LEGAL, SBR or not. It's still a rifle.

And a manner calculated to cause alarm, is dependent on the person carrying it. If you have it shouldered, you're most likely causing alarm on purpose. If its slung on your back, the people can piss off, because I do not mean to cause alarm. Anything you do with a gun, if your average joe/jane sees it, it causes alarm, whether or not you mean too. Vast majority of people are too scared to deal with it, so it will always cause alarm.

Top Bottom