Concealed Carry in Car without Permit?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by robert, Mar 13, 2008.

1. robert

robert New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    if you are pulled over and you have your firearm in the glove compartment and you tell teh police officer. what usually happens next? does the police officer take the gun or what?

2. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    Typically you show your CC license with your drivers license. The police will usually ask if you have the gun with you. I said "yes, would you like to have the gun?" he said no but where is it. I told him that it was in my bible case sitting next to me on the seat. He said just don't pick the case up. I did not get a ticket. He warned me that the speed limit had just been changed in the area and I needed to go a little bit slower.

If you have a CC license, be sure to show it whether you are carrying or not. Most police will not ask for the gun. I imagine a lot depends what you were stopped for. If just for a traffic violation, then they probably wont ask for the gun. If you just ran over an old lady crossing the road, expect him to ask for the gun! They will ask for it if they feel uncomfortable with you. Always be polite and don't make any movements that would alarm them. Remember, when handing them the gun, hand it to them safely and tell them to be careful it is loaded with one in the chamber. Show them respect and they typically won't hassle you. Don't expect showing your CC license to get you out of a ticket.;)

3. robert

robert New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    i dont have my chl yet... but if im traveling across counties. what should i do if im pulled over?

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    APD, or at least the officer that pulled me over asked for the gun. This was a couple years ago so I don't remember everything.

He came up to the window asked for the usuals, I told him that I would get that for him, and then told him that I have a concealed carry permit and that the gun was located behind the passenger seat and was loaded. He asked me if he could take it out of the back (means of him to also search my car, lol), and I agreed (had nothing to hide). I stepped out, he got it, and we carried about business. When I got the warning from him he just handed it back to me, told me thanks for telling him, and off I went.

I don't recall it being a difficult situation or him getting really worked up when I told him. He might have ran the serial number on the gun when he had it in his car, but I don't care, I was the owner of the gun. Hell, come to think of it, that's probably why I got off the hook, haha.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If it's stored away somewhere out of reach I wouldn't probably tell him. If it's within arms reach, up front, etc. I would make note of it to the officer. Tell him you are traveling if he gives you stick about it. In light of the new laws, Castle Doctrine, I don't think you will be harassed. Just let them know. I think that's just common courtesy since alot of Police Officers have to deal with that reality these days.

Hopefully some LEO's will chime in on this thread.

6. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I agree. If it is stored in a case or bag out of reach and unloaded, I wouldn't say a thing about it. If it is loaded then I would say that I am traveling and carrying a hand gun for protection. Then I would do as the officer tells me. Try to get a CH license as soon as possible, so you won't have to worry about it.:)

7. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Before you go on a trip make sure your license is legal in the states you are going thru.You can look up that info on the web.

8. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

9. machinisttx

machinisttx Member

Mar 4, 2008
    In Texas it doesn't matter anymore if you have a CHL or not, you can leave/carry a handgun in the vehicle legally due to legal changes that went into effect last September. If you don't have a CHL you are not required to inform the officer that you have a handgun in the vehicle.

Unless the cop asks, I wouldn't say anything about it. It's none of his business what's in your vehicle..provided you aren't engaged in some unlawful activity.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

That page has the 2007 law changes listed.

10. Longtooths

Longtooths Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Irving, Texas
    I would also add, for the OP that I also would say nothing unless I needed to reach into the glove box and there was a possibility that the officer might see it. In that case I would alert him to its presence before reaching.