• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a a r o n

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Little Elm
    i am new to handguns so go easy on this one. i am looking to take my CHL class asap i just have to work it in with my work schedule.
    but for now i have heard alot of mixed stuff on the Castle Law. and what all that does and does not cover. So could someone with a little for sure info shed some light on the law for me.
    i have mainly been told that i can carry my pistol in my truck loaded as log as it is concealed. but the gun can't leave my truck with me when i go in anywhere other than my house. several people have told me that as long as my truck is in my name then it is legit. i just wanna see how true all of this is before i attempt it and get in trouble.
    what are the exceptions to the law?

Thanks.
    Aaron
    Guns International

cougartex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    The Castle Doctrine and the Motorist Protection Act are two entirely different things.

The Castle Doctrine removes the "duty to retreat".

Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Motorist Protection Act allows law-abiding citizens to carry handguns in their cars for protection.

Gov. Perry signed H.B. 1815, a bill that allows any Texas resident to carry a concealed handgun in the resident's motor vehicle without a CHL or other permit. Chapter 46, Section 2 of the Penal Code states that it is in fact not "Unlawful Carry of a Weapon" for a person to carry a weapon while in a motor vehicle they own or control, or to carry while heading directly from the person's home to that car. However, lawful carry while in a vehicle requires these three critical qualifiers: (1) the gun must be concealed; (2) the carrier cannot be involved in criminal activities; and (3) the carrier cannot be a member of a criminal gang.

a a r o n

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Little Elm
    thanks for the links guys. they were helpful and i believe answered my question. so now with that reading i can hopefully clear up some of the goofy things i have heard from friends.

Top Bottom