• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MitchKov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2014
    Looking to move up north of town in the next year or so. Have lived in Houston, tomball and Katy, but current work situation is near the woodlands. Have done the whole suburb/subdivision thing and really tired of living right on top of my neighbors. Looking for a couple acres and a decent livable house in the area.

Just wondering if y'all had any thoughts on areas to look at (or avoid). Budget is fairly open (not looking at half million dollar property, but not bargain basement shopping either).

Really just trying to get a handle on bad/good areas around Conroe, anywhere north of the woodlands up through Sam Houston, preferably not too far off 45 (5-10 minutes would be ideal).

Have young children as well so looking somewhere safe wth decent schools.
    Target Sports

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I live in the Woodlands and visit Conroe regularly. Feel free to ask away. Have a good friend who is realtor there, contact Isaac Franke with Marion Franke team and tell him Scott Hilliard sent you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Looking to move up north of town in the next year or so. Have lived in Houston, tomball and Katy, but current work situation is near the woodlands. Have done the whole suburb/subdivision thing and really tired of living right on top of my neighbors. Looking for a couple acres and a decent livable house in the area.

A lot really depends on your idea of what constitutes living right on top of your neighbors. If you lived in a deed restricted subdivision where all the houses were on 1.5 acre lots, would you be happy? Or what if you were in a subdivision where everyone had 3-4 acres? How much land and/or freedom is it gonna take to make you happy?
    Pretty much anywhere in the Conroe area within 10 minutes of the interstate is going to be subdivided hell. I am on the edge of Montgomery county in the National Forest, and it is still too damn crowded, with more people moving in all the time. The traffic in Conroe/The Woodlands/Magnolia sucks(especially on the weekends) and is only getting (much)worse.
    The property taxes in Montgomery county are farking ridiculous, I think they are second only in Texas to Tarrant County. Don't bother protesting either, they seem beholden to no one. I have hired tax attorneys and they say Montgomery County seems to do what they want.
    There are some good and bad schools in the Conroe ISD. Most of the good ones are where the money is at, and most of the bad ones are out by me and the rest of the poor folks.
    In short, I can't wait to GTFO of Montgomery county.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A couple of acres in the fastest growing area in Texas? Good luck with that. There used to be quite a bit of land available around Conroe, but now they are throwing up subdivisions as fast as they can clear property. A few places are still left, but you may have a great neighbor on one side and on the other side could be a family from the movie "Deliverance".

School districts in the area are generally good, but colleges will give preference to kids that go to The Woodlands.

9uc

Bible/Gun carrying Christian Conservative
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Humble, TX
    Conroe was our first choice when we moved back to Texas last year. Stayed in a RV park in Cut and Shoot while we looked. We did not want to end up in Harris County, but ended up just outside Humble due to price, condition and availability. Hindsight being 20/20, wish I'd have waited a little longer as that's where my VA Clinic is located.

MitchKov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2014
    I appreciate the responses so far. We've been looking on HAR for the past month or two and have seen a lot of OK properties and a handful that we would likely look further into if we were going today.

Just don't know the area well enough, guess we need to pick a few addresses and go check it out. Trying to stay out of "crackville" (I believe that is the technical term) or preferably keep from the deliverance neighbors mentioned above.

Have been paying Harris county/Katy isd property taxes for 4-5 years, didn't think Conroe was gonna be high in comparison to that but will check it out. Thanks for the info

Last edited:
    Top Bottom