• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Anyone else using .22 conversion units on their 1911 pistols? I have a Marvel Unit 1 mounted on a Wilson Classic frame. After a break-in period (which is a story/post in itself), this unit just shoots the center out of target. Too bad my old eyes and muscles aren't up to that level of target competition these days, but we still have fun shooting small 50 shot groups with it. Anyone using Ciener (hope you don't need customer service), Kimber, Wilson (made by Marvel, same as Marvel Unit 2), Advantage Arms, etc. conversions?

351A.gif

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB
    Hurley's Gold

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've been kinda thinking about going with a Kimber .22 conversion. I don't really enjoy shooting .22 but it's dirt cheap and would be excellent practice ammo. I really need to practice with a lighter load because I develop some odd anticipation issues. As the shot is breaking I pitch the gun up.

MrKimber44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I've shot the Kimber, Marvel and Advantage. I liked all 3. Advantage was my favorite though, because it was the best compromise for accuracy and reliability. To me anyway.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Alan,
    Shooting a 1911 with conversion unit is somewhat different from just shooting a normal .22 pistol. You still have the exact same frame, trigger, feel, and a similar sighting setup (normally). It is an excellent way to improve your .45 shooting. I'm an old Bullseye competition shooter and get angry at myself when I start grabbing the trigger just when the sights are perfectly centered on the target. Experience has shown me that devoting a practice session to the .22 conversion unit will enable me to concentrate on fundamentals (i.e. sight alignment and proper trigger control). My next shooting session with the .45 invariably shows much improvement in these fundamentals until I once again start slipping down that road to bad technique. And of course, with ammo costs so high these days, it does save a little expense there compared to .45's, even with handloads. Note that there can/may be a break-in period with conversion units before they start running reliably. Have heard that customer service can be severely lacking with at least one conversion manufacturer (Ciener).

LB

Alan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hey Pop,

Since you're having trouble with your "old eyes and muscles"...I'll be glad to go ahead and take it from you now and show you what that thing can REALLY do!

:D

(Thanks for the tip on this website!)

SO758

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Central TX
    I bought a ciener and hated it! Sold it, and am thinking about buying another brand for my 1911. What is recommended quality wise?

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Conversion Unit Styles

Marvel makes two styles of .22 conversion units: Unit 1 and Unit 2. The differences are important.

Unit 1 is their top of the line unit and comes with a five shot group of LESS THAN 1 INCH AT 50 YARDS FROM MACHINE REST. This unit has a fixed slide and barrel. Only a rear mid-portion of the slide recoils for ejection and feeding, very similar to the S&W M41 target pistol. This unit can use either High Velocity or Std Velocity ammo after break-in.

Unit 2 is their standard version and does NOT come with the super accuracy of the Unit 1. The full slide recoils on the V2, similar to normal operation of 1911 pistols. Because of the added weight of the recoiling slide, this version should be used only with High Velocity ammo. Std velocity ammo may not reliably cycle the full slide. Kimber, Wilson, and Ciener conversion units are very similar to the Marvel Unit 2. In fact, Marvel makes the Wilson conversion unit.

Break-in: The slide is covered with black painted surface which adds some friction to the recoil movement. For this reason, many new conversion units will require a break-in period of 500-1000 shots before the contact surfaces on slide/frame, etal are polished smooth enough to function reliably. The break-in period can be significantly shortened by polishing the contact surfaces VERY LIGHTLY with 400-600 grit sandpaper wrapped around a wooden stick.

The above are my experiences and opinions only and your mileage may vary.

LB

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Hey Pop,
    Since you're having trouble with your "old eyes and muscles"...I'll be glad to go ahead and take it from you now and show you what that thing can REALLY do!

Don't go teaching my guns any bad habits. I'm still having fun shooting them.

LB

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I've shot the Kimber, Marvel and Advantage. I liked all 3. Advantage was my favorite though, because it was the best compromise for accuracy and reliability. To me anyway.

I haven't tried an Advantage unit. Tried to reach them by phone and e-mail last year; wanted to order one of their units. They never responded. Don't their units have the stay open after last shot feature? None of the other units I mentioned above have that feature because they all have aluminum slides which will not take the battering.

LB

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I bought a ciener and hated it! Sold it, and am thinking about buying another brand for my 1911. What is recommended quality wise?

Top of the line, by far, in my opinion is the Marvel Unit One!!!!!!!

I have heard that a number of Bullseye competitors use them in matches these days. My Unit 1 is probably even more accurate than my S&W M41 target gun.

LB

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I also got a Ciener kit and had jams constantly.I got the Kimber kit and have had no problems yet.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    One can tell by my posts that I don't recommend Ciener conversion units but I do use Ciener magazines with my Marvel Unit 1 conversion. They work GREAT with my unit. YMMV

LB

Top Bottom