• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    My limited experience has all been further west (stalk hunts), this is my first year sitting on corn. Last weekend (with just regular corn (unflavored) on the ground, got 2 different groups within range (bow, not sure if the corn was the reason). Today, I decided to try apple flavored corn. Heard a group (about the same location (still in the woods) and time as last weekend), they were definitely moving along the same trail but they never moved into the cleared area. As I continued to sit there, I watched a squirrel move up to the corn, took one bite, and ran off. When I bought the bag (flavored, Atwoods), I was struck at how strong the odor was. Could the odor/taste be too much and scared the deer off? Should I just stick with unflavored/different brand? Advice? Thanks!
    Capitol Armory ad

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Are you talking for deer or hogs or both? A proper deer feeder going off is like a dinner bell to deer. You are going to want clean corn in a feeder. Hogs love corn also. Many people swear on sour corn for hogs. There are as many recipes for sour corn as there are for corn you might eat.

Just about everything out in the woods will will eat corn. Using a feeder with a timer will train deer when to come to corn. Ever year I hear nothing but bitching about the price of corn.

Food plots will attract deer & hogs as well as corn. No feeder needed , but you do need to cultivate the plot. I have heard people rant & rave about different commercial deer food plot seeds. One really can just lay down a garden & get as good of results. I've seen coyotes munching on watermelons. I seen truck farmer crops destroyed over night by hogs.

While going out & throwing down corn can work it can also work after you have left. There are plans for different bump feeder out on the web if your not going to invest in a commercial feeder with timer. There are also kits you can buy to make feeder minus the barrel.

Last years acorn crop was huge. Who knows what this year holds. deer & hogs love acorns.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Deer are FAT this year. Lots of acorns. My first buck was much larger than typical and had a thick coating of dermal fat and really greasy inner loins. Kidney fat like Wisconsin cheese curds.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    How big are the whitetails in Texas.

I've come across a few when hog hunting Most of them looked about the size of a great dane.
    I really depends area of Texas, genetics, wild .vs high fenced. I grew up I the corn belt & first whitetail I hunted looked like some kind of miniature pet, that I passed on only to behold it was a good buck.

You have to remember that Texas also has mule deer which are generally bigger. And Texas also has speedboats AKA Pronghorn Antelope.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I stick with plain corn. Apples aren't native, here so I would think apple scented corn wouldn't be much of an advantage.

I hunt East Texas and a lot of the mature bucks know not to hang out near feeders. I've never seen a mature buck on any of my feeders, just young bucks and does.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    If one is going to use a scented corn for deer, persimmon works well.

The only time I have used the apple scented corn I mixed it with protein pellets. Mixed them 50/50 and put it in my gravity feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I stick with plain corn. Apples aren't native, here so I would think apple scented corn wouldn't be much of an advantage.

I hunt East Texas and a lot of the mature bucks know not to hang out near feeders. I've never seen a mature buck on any of my feeders, just young bucks and does.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    When I hunted in Africa it was very common for the biggest Kudu bulls to hide their horns in tree branches.

agtan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2023
    San Antonio
    At H.E.B they sell a 50 pound bag of apple scented deer corn. Its a bit more expensive than other deer corn brands but it has worked for me for many years.

dont recall well but sometimes the prices drop

1696903485513.png

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    For East Texas we stick with food plots. We put out radish, turnip, beets, peas, red clover, white clover, alfalfa, seeds. We do not use the packaged or " magic grass" seed mixes from the hunting stores. We do have a few feeders that run plain corn from the feed store. These are the doe stands. The bucks do not come to the corn but the does and fawns clean them out. During the rut the big bucks will be trailing the does, and hang back in the trees.

We put flavored corn out a few times just to see. We saw no effect, food plots all work best.

We use soured corn in the hog traps. If we use plain corn we get fawns, and small does, they don't go after the sour mix.

About 7 years ago we had a drought that hit just after planting time, the food plots withered. We stalked/ground hunted around the oaks and got some of the best wall hangers ever.

Top Bottom