Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Given that it could easily cut through the cable to the house, the cable to the neighbors, the phone service to the house, the lawn sprinkler system pipes and probably other stuff I don't know about, I don't think it's ability to fit in the space is the most important thing.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Given that it could easily cut through the cable to the house, the cable to the neighbors, the phone service to the house, the lawn sprinkler system pipes and probably other stuff I don't know about, I don't think it's ability to fit in the space is the most important thing.
    Might want to call ahead to mark some of those lines before shovels, unless it will be archeologic dig with paintbrushes....

sprinkler cut takes 10 min to fix, same with CATV line.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Might want to call ahead to mark some of those lines before shovels, unless it will be archeologic dig with paintbrushes....

sprinkler cut takes 10 min to fix, same with CATV line.
    Shitty part is that locates don’t typically mark service drops.

Plus side: They are rarely buried below the required 16”, so bury the line at 12” and not be at fault for all their cut lines.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Plus side: They are rarely buried below the required 16”, so bury the line at 12” and not be at fault for all their cut lines.
    The cable to my house is buried about 2" deep in my backyard. The actual feed to the distribution box next door to me is buried a bit more than a foot down; I only know because the line was replaced years ago and they had to dig all the way across my back yard...during which they cut the line to my house. :)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The cable to my house is buried about 2" deep in my backyard. The actual feed to the distribution box next door to me is buried a bit more than a foot down; I only know because the line was replaced years ago and they had to dig all the way across my back yard...during which they cut the line to my house. :)
    We’ve cut numerous cable lines with Sid cutters. It’s annoying because I still have to fill out an incident report and send a bunch of pictures, but in the end it falls on the cable/phone company.

Now my home internet…they operate kind of like your power company. If my antenna isn’t on the roof (it’s not) they leave the wire laying on the surface with enough slack for me to bury it. But when I “located it” with a backhoe I just called an said it quit working. Tech came out to check it, I smiled and told him I located the problem and uncovered it for him.

They didn’t charge me, lol.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Need to locate a line? I know a tool that will be 100% reliable for locating lines of all types.

Called a ditchwitch...

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Called 811 to do a locate before wiring up my generator, which is located 9 feet from the panel. Locate found one gas line (there are two) and one network utility (there are two) crossing the path. The trench was hand dug, but they still got both my fiber and coax buried about an inch below the grass. Fiber was re-run, but I wasn't charged. Coax will have to be redone if I ever sign up with Comcast.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Called 811 to do a locate before wiring up my generator, which is located 9 feet from the panel. Locate found one gas line (there are two) and one network utility (there are two) crossing the path. The trench was hand dug, but they still got both my fiber and coax buried about an inch below the grass. Fiber was re-run, but I wasn't charged. Coax will have to be redone if I ever sign up with Comcast.
    Thanks for giving me something to look forward to. :)

Top Bottom