Coyote Hunting?

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by Code3GT, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Code3GT

Code3GT Active Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Anybody coyote hunt in the central texas area? I used to hunt quite a bit growing up in Indiana but havent heard of much around here. A guy at work was talking about as we were watching some pretty good youtube vids and he said he's got some up by Jonestown. I kindly offered to help him control his population :texas:

2. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've ever heard of anyone hunting coyote. Controlling a genuine problem maybe, but hunting them for kicks.....nope.

3. Code3GT

Code3GT Active Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    A lot of counties/municipalities had/have a bounty on them b/c of the population problem and the havoc they wreak on livestock/pets. Guess they're not as prevalent around here.

4. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If they are being a problem, shoot the problem animals. Just hunting predators for kicks is kinda lame IMO. The coyotes do a job. You want to shoot a predator that needs shooting, shoot pigs. Shoot as many as you can as often as you can. You actually do the land some good when you shoot pigs{as opposed to shooting coyotes and removing the carcass clean up crew}

In my experience{ and I have been at this a while} coyotes rarely bother livestock.{the exception being sheep, they will literally just stand there and be eaten} An alpha Billy Goat is more than a match for 99% of coyote packs {once he leads the rest will attack the yotes} and as for cattle, Just does not happen very often. If you see yotes eating cows{even calves} something else usually killed it first. If you have calves or goats vanishing, you probably have a cat{cougar}

5. carneyman

carneyman Active Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    Back home the coyotes were bad about getting dogs. We had them try several times to get our Australian shepherd mix, and he out weighs them by a good 20 pounds or so. He's a fighter though, can usually take on 2-4 at a time and come out on top.

A couple also tried to go after my mom one morning while she was walking her 2 miles, but luckily she had Gomer (the dog) with her. He took off after them and chased them away.

Needless to say, if I see em, and I have a gun with me, I shoot em. Back in high school we would go spotlight for them at least once a month. They got the mange a few years back and thinned out pretty well. Now that the pheasants are booming, they are starting to come back. Its a cycle.

6. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Where I live we used ot have quite a few as building was booming and we (the people) started encroaching on the coyotes turf. Of course cats and dogs would go missing as we'd seem them in neighborhoods. In that case, trap and relocate is in order, unless one or many pose an immediate threat, which is rarely the case.

Where the population of coyotes has grown and they start moving into populated areas, I'm all for control.

As many as there are a little further out now, and as many horse farms as there are, you never hear of coyotes attacking anything, but people still run donkeys with their horses.

Kill for a reason but not for kicks.

7. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

+1

8. TJ Willy

TJ Willy Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    I live in the outskirts of town, but still city proper. I live in a dead end cul-de-sac of a new(er) development meaning I have some open land behind me. I hear coyotes quite often back there. It is amazing they would come so close into town... Or maybe we are just infringing upon their territory....

9. TJ Willy

TJ Willy Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    Very much agreed.

10. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

That's what our situation was. We used to be able to hear them pretty close in, but then again, at the time we were at the edge. I actually did hear some the other night but I know the sound was being carried pretty far. But still, they were pretty close in. I don't mind hearing them or knowing they're around. I just know not to temp them with food, like our Yorkie. :p

We "can" all get along, as long as they don't get out of line. :happy0001: