• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Stuck on the tarmac so just fillin' time but...

If you had enough land outside town could you form your own city?

Then have your own ordinances and police dept?

Deputize all your adult family members and buy post 86 MGs for your PD?

Just bored and curious on your thoughts. Also, assume you have unlimited budget and own 100% of land in your new city.
    Guns International

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    ive seen threads on this topic before. it amounted to guys paying a small fee for a completely legit leo badge/id for a small town as a reserve officer in order to get around some laws.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    ive seen threads on this topic before. it amounted to guys paying a small fee for a completely legit leo badge/id for a small town as a reserve officer in order to get around some laws.

If I understand what you're saying, it's not quite that easy. A reserve officer still has to go through the same process, get their TCLEOSE certification to be eligible to be considered a peace officer in Texas, and then has to find a department to take them on as a reserve officer. Lots of departments, at least everyone I have seen, still have requirements of reserve officers, minimum number of hours worked per month, etc. On top of that, some jurisdictions, as far as I understand it, reserve officers are not paid (if I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me, but this is what I understand from several friends of mine that have been reserves). This isn't a simple "buy a badge" deal. You are making a significant investment of time and money to achieve it, so it should be something taken seriously IMO.

What you guys are talking about is HR 218 (LEOSA / Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act). It's apparently not perfect and riddled with problems as far as I understand it, but this is the bill that allows for national reciprocity for many different types of licensed peace officers, federal officers, etc. There is another problem with this. Forgive me but, I forget the exact specifics. The short of it is, trying to go this "reserve route" as others have pointed out, there are many departments that have specific regulations for their reserves that may not allow them quite the same full peace officer status when they are not performing their duties. From what I remember, I believe HR 218 has some sort of clause that basically defers to the officer's department's policies on certain matters. Basically, the short of it is, some reserves at some departments might not be covered by HR 218 and able to actually take advantage of national reciprocity under that bill due to their department's policies of their status while not on duty. It's late, this might be convoluted, but I hope it makes sense.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    If I understand what you're saying, it's not quite that easy. A reserve officer still has to go through the same process, get their TCLEOSE certification to be eligible to be considered a peace officer in Texas, and then has to find a department to take them on as a reserve officer. Lots of departments, at least everyone I have seen, still have requirements of reserve officers, minimum number of hours worked per month, etc. On top of that, some jurisdictions, as far as I understand it, reserve officers are not paid (if I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me, but this is what I understand from several friends of mine that have been reserves). This isn't a simple "buy a badge" deal. You are making a significant investment of time and money to achieve it, so it should be something taken seriously IMO.

What you guys are talking about is HR 218 (LEOSA / Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act). It's apparently not perfect and riddled with problems as far as I understand it, but this is the bill that allows for national reciprocity for many different types of licensed peace officers, federal officers, etc. There is another problem with this. Forgive me but, I forget the exact specifics. The short of it is, trying to go this "reserve route" as others have pointed out, there are many departments that have specific regulations for their reserves that may not allow them quite the same full peace officer status when they are not performing their duties. From what I remember, I believe HR 218 has some sort of clause that basically defers to the officer's department's policies on certain matters. Basically, the short of it is, some reserves at some departments might not be covered by HR 218 and able to actually take advantage of national reciprocity under that bill due to their department's policies of their status while not on duty. It's late, this might be convoluted, but I hope it makes sense.

nope, that was pretty much what it stood at. this was why the people who started the thread were trying to apply for some weird status to open their pseudo police department. ive seen the same thread get bumped a few times over the years, but nothing so far substantial. the place they chose was somewhere up north where supposedly the leo requirement was something similar to a chl class and that was it. again though, it seemed like the person behind it was after making money off people wanting to go through it this way ran through regular channels. basically, the area they were in required the chief to sign off on their ccw and this was a way around it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Not a problem. I'd set the policy

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Make me CLEO! I'll sign off on ATF forms and won't enforce any gun laws!

All men are created equally. Sasquatch is not human, therefore no guns para tu!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding or anything but, at a minimum a person still has to meet all the requirements and qualify to get their TCLEOSE. I mean, as far as I'm aware, that is just not something there is any real way around in the state of Texas. It has to be done to be a licensed peace officer in this state.

Top Bottom